What is the best venting helmet? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 28th, 2006, 9:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

What is the best venting helmet?

With summer here I need to find an good venting helmet. I am a little partial to Arai (the helmets just seem to fit my head), but I'm not sure how the venting system is compared to other helmets. Usually I go for the flip top helmets- of which I have 4, now- but I am considering an open/ clear shield helmets for summer. Also, I need to be able to put the J&M headset into the helmet for the BMW comm system.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 29th, 2006, 8:17 am

I purchased the Schubert C2 during the winter, now that summer is here, I am starting to wonder my decision. Unless I ride with the windshield all the way down, I may switch back to my HJC Symax during the summer months in order to get some decent ventilation inside the helmet. Good luck!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old May 29th, 2006, 1:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The vents on the C2 work much better than the old Concept. I can easily feel the wind coming in onto the top of my head with the top vent open, even behind a tall Cee Bailey windscreen.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 2:57 pm
Gold Supporter

I have been impressed with my Schuberth C2, in fit, vents, sun shade, and most of all quiet. It's like putting on shooting ear muffs. The head set goes in nicely (if you know what your doing it shouldn't take more than about 48 hours to get it in if you don't...ask me how I know...I'll be carrying the brown sack and helmet in to the dealer soon ). It was a little pricey, but it fits great and I can feel the air moving around better than any helmet I have ever owned.

I wear Under Armor mesh skull Caps and they really help moving the sweat off and keep things cooler inside the helmet too.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #5 of 12 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 3:44 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

This months edition of American Rider magazine has a pretty good review of 3/4 helmets.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #6 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 1:00 am

Is Shuberth too heavy?

I've been told the Shuberth is quite heavy and after a long ride, you really feel it. I've never worn one. Is it heavy?

2006 K1200LT Magnesium Black
2005 F650CSA Silver
2001 K1200LT Tuscana Green (sold)
1999 HD Low Rider Blue & Diamond Ice (sold)
2005 645 Convertible Champagne (my favorite 4 wheeler ever)
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderbri
I've been told the Shuberth is quite heavy and after a long ride, you really feel it. I've never worn one. Is it heavy?
I have a C2 and an older Concept and the wight has never bothered me. I did about 1800 miles in the last 48 hrs and the helmet wight wasn't a problem. And this is the coolest helmet I have owned. I consider it noisy as hell though. I just crank the music up a bit more and then I don't notice it as much.

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 8:51 pm

cool helmets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
With summer here I need to find an good venting helmet. I am a little partial to Arai (the helmets just seem to fit my head), but I'm not sure how the venting system is compared to other helmets. Usually I go for the flip top helmets- of which I have 4, now- but I am considering an open/ clear shield helmets for summer. Also, I need to be able to put the J&M headset into the helmet for the BMW comm system.

Any suggestions?
I usually have two that i wear durung the year.
In winter i preferr the shoie two piece helmet,The quitest and warmest during
those cold winter months,and for the Hot summer months the Nolan usually
outshines all the others as far a ventilation is concerned on a two pieceN100
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 9:32 pm

I am looking hard at the Arai SZ Ram 3. I don't know anyone with one, but sure would like to see a review before I dive in and purchase. Anyone try one yet?

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 9:55 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Arai SZ Ram III helmet

Hey, it's always fun to round out the forum thread with your own answer!

I ended up buying the Ram III 3/4 helmet. The first thing I noticed was the weight... or lack of weight more precisely. It's a very comfortable helmet. I think I have an Arai head, afterall.

Anyway, as far as venting goes, it's the best of my 7 or 8 helmets. I can't say it's the best one ever because I haven't tried all the helmets out there. Oddly, it vents better with the shield down. The forehead vents seem to push air up over the rest of your head inside the helmet.

It's definitely my summer helmet.

Yell back if you have questions.
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:46 am

Having gone from the first Aria SZ that had the bullet-style vents on the front/rear of the top of the helmet, to the Ram II I think it is (next gen)...with the vents shaped flat and wide, I can tell you there was a huge diff between the two venting styles.

I think ram air types of vents are the ticket, such as the Aria SZ-m.

I also own a full cov corsair which is half the wt (or so it seems) and incredibly noisy with the sheild closed...but an incredible helmet in every respect (including the price, ouch).

The venting is so good on these helmets that my hair sticks straight up and stay there due to the venting...not a good thing when you get to work, have to use a little water, kinda looks like bedhead!

good riding!..geo
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 4:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

go to helmetharbor.com they do something really neat...when customers come in and ask the same question, they have them put the helmet of choice ON, then put them in a special room with a calibrated air compressor and special tip that simulates airflow at 60 mph or so, then the customer can feel for him/herself what the ventillation is between helmets.

They say the Shoei x-11 is the best venting full face (go to the site, they even have a video posted).

I'm still waiting on the new Scorpion exo-1000.

But I think it's a damn neat way to answer that question...

fyi

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in