Which Bag Liners? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 26th, 2006, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Which Bag Liners?

I am ready to buy some bag liners and was debating over Kathy's or Cee Baileys?? Anyone have an opinion?

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 26th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Talking Cathy Bags

Ed,

I used cathy bags on a 6000 mile trip with my wife and I and enjoyed they're use. You just fill them up and what ever you can get in them zip them up and in the bike they go. No fuss no muss. I also bought the rack bag, which is absolutely great. Has straps that keep it very secure and its mostly waterproof, you have to seal the zippers. Buy the Cathy bags in my opinion, but Im sure you will get arguments both ways.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #3 of 14 Old May 26th, 2006, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC
I am ready to buy some bag liners and was debating over Kathy's or Cee Baileys?? Anyone have an opinion?
Although I usually don't have much of an opinion...I'll try to stretch my personality a bit THIS time.

Of those two choices, I'd go with the Cee Bailey's. I think I've had at least one liner of every brand out there, and my FIRST choice is the BMW-Brand liners. I LOVE THEM! But, I do realize that BMW is rather proud of those little buggers and they are way over-priced. I was fortunate enough to get mine on close-out, so they were affordable.

post #4 of 14 Old May 26th, 2006, 7:55 pm

I've used Kathy's bags for two long trips and they have been just great. I have the Kathy's top rack bag also. They seem well constructed.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 14 Old May 26th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC
Ed, here is another bag liner supplier for you to consider. Gene DeSantis is an LT rider, owns the company that manufactures and supplies several versions of weaponry holsters (website shows that), and started making the Beemer Bags for LTs several years ago. I bought a set and love 'em. They've been in use on every ride since. And if I showed 'em to you today, you'd swear they were brand spankin' new!! Honest!

One of the features I like is the ballistic material is flexible enough so that you can fill the bags with items of odd shape and tuck the bags into the sidecases so that there is no wasted empty space. Each bag comes with one zippered side pocket on the outside, as well as one on the inside, and the overall bag is zipped using double tuggers.

Gene makes four bags for the LT (as you'll see on the website); one for each side case; one as a trunk liner; and one for the top rack.

You can check out his webpage here. BTW, although he is listed on our accessory page, that link no longer works. I'll see about updating that. Good luck in your shopping, Ed.
post #6 of 14 Old May 26th, 2006, 11:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Although I usually don't have much of an opinion...I'll try to stretch my personality a bit THIS time.

Of those two choices, I'd go with the Cee Bailey's. I think I've had at least one liner of every brand out there, and my FIRST choice is the BMW-Brand liners. I LOVE THEM! But, I do realize that BMW is rather proud of those little buggers and they are way over-priced. I was fortunate enough to get mine on close-out, so they were affordable.
Just wondering what is it that makes the BMW bags or Cee Bailey's bags better. Is the construction better? The material better? Do they fit better?

If you have an opinion :->

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #7 of 14 Old May 27th, 2006, 3:35 am

I can only speak from one reference point (I haven't had the chance to compare) - I bought the DeSantis liners before STC-II, and was IMPRESSED how tightly I could pack them, and then just slip'm into the cases. Granted, I had some organizational help from Eagle Creek Pack-It Folders - keeps the shirts and pants nicely folded.

Yarko
'05 Dark Gray LT

post #8 of 14 Old May 27th, 2006, 3:38 am

Kathy's Bags

Have used Kathy's Bags from Bob's BMW in MD. Great bags and you're not paying the extra money for the roundel. I also bought the top case rack pack. It works perfectly on the factory top rack. Good luck!
post #9 of 14 Old May 27th, 2006, 6:14 am

Kathy's bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwade
Have used Kathy's Bags from Bob's BMW in MD. Great bags and you're not paying the extra money for the roundel. I also bought the top case rack pack. It works perfectly on the factory top rack. Good luck!
DITTO.

BTW, what's up with all of the newbies who refuse to fill out their profile!
Must be afraid!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 14 Old May 27th, 2006, 6:33 am

i have cathys bags,, and i also use space bags ,, the roll up type they work great...can get a whole lot more in the bags
post #11 of 14 Old May 27th, 2006, 7:45 am

I had the Cathy's bags and upgraded to the BMW bags. The BMW bags are made of leather and heavy duty nylon. The quality can not be compared with the Cathy's bags. While the Cathy's bags do their job perfectly well, they have no shape of their own. I found this made it a little harder to pack them. The BMW bags stand up on their own and pack just like a regular suitcase. You can pick them up on eBay sometimes, brand new, for a fraction of the dealer cost.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #12 of 14 Old May 31st, 2006, 2:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Gotta Agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Ed, here is another bag liner supplier for you to consider. Gene DeSantis is an LT rider, owns the company that manufactures and supplies several versions of weaponry holsters (website shows that), and started making the Beemer Bags for LTs several years ago. I bought a set and love 'em. They've been in use on every ride since. And if I showed 'em to you today, you'd swear they were brand spankin' new!! Honest!

One of the features I like is the ballistic material is flexible enough so that you can fill the bags with items of odd shape and tuck the bags into the sidecases so that there is no wasted empty space. Each bag comes with one zippered side pocket on the outside, as well as one on the inside, and the overall bag is zipped using double tuggers.

Gene makes four bags for the LT (as you'll see on the website); one for each side case; one as a trunk liner; and one for the top rack.

You can check out his webpage here. BTW, although he is listed on our accessory page, that link no longer works. I'll see about updating that. Good luck in your shopping, Ed.

Kathys and Cee Baileys make a good product and reasonable. Really can't go wrong with them. I have used Desantis holsters and liked them a lot, and therefore bought some liners from them for my LT. Perfect fit and finish and they wear like iron and still look new. The zippers are tough and tolerate over stuffing without indicating a separation. Are they worth the extra money? Maybe, mayber not. I do know I have been very happy with all their products and would buy from them again...
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Keep in mind that Cee Bailey offers the NON-CD CHANGER bag only. Otherwise, nice quality for the money
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 7:49 pm

I've got the RKA liners. Been through 5 years, many short trips, a couple of 2-week trips for my wife and I, and they still look brand new. Dynamite quality..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in