OK - old traditionalist needs advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

OK - old traditionalist needs advice

Well, I ride a 2010 BMW R1200RT. Since I have owned many bikes over many years the bottom line now is I will never ride anything else but a BMW. Just an old guys take on things.

So, here is my dilemma or quandary. I have used leather as my form of riding protection for decades. My wife bought me a TourMaster high Vis yellow synthetic jacket for my birthday about 5 years ago and I love it. I very rarely wear my leather jacket anymore.

Well I have a pair of leather chaps that I have also worn for decades. Repaired. Zippers yada, yada, you know the drill. Now I would really like to turf the chaps and get something more adaptable or maybe the correct word is technical. I have looked at AeroStich, Olympia, FirstGear and of course TourMaster and have a few ideas but I have zero, nada experience with synthetic riding pants and would appreciate opinions based on what you guys use.

What I would really like in a pair of riding pants.
Can function in 3 seasons. Spring, summer, fall so I don't have to put on chaps take off chaps.
Can wear either alone or over a pair of regular jeans? Is such a thing possible?
I have a pair of Draggin Jeans but I still have to carry my chaps if it cools off and I want the extra warmth and protection the chaps give.

Ventilation in hot weather that can be closed up as the temperature drops and a liner that can be added for warmth.
I carry a stand alone rain suit.
Thanks in advance for your comments
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 2:28 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: OK - old traditionalist needs advice

I Like Olympia Air Glide Pants. I have a old pair of Air Glide II that are about 6 years old & over 90,000 miles on the road wearing them. I just ordered the Air Glide III yesterday & hope to get them in time for my trip next week. If not I'll just wear the old dependable ones I have.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 20 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 4:07 pm

Here's a second vote for Olympia Air Glides. Love mine!

When things get warm: as long as your jacket and pants vent well, you'll be fine. Wearing Under Armour under your riding gear really helps when the mercury rises.

When things cool down: I am also a HUGE fan of heated gear. The wife and I both have heated jacket liners, pants liners, gloves, and socks.

- Joe

post #4 of 20 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post
Here's a second vote for Olympia Air Glides. Love mine!

When things get warm: as long as your jacket and pants vent well, you'll be fine. Wearing Under Armour under your riding gear really helps when the mercury rises.

When things cool down: I am also a HUGE fan of heated gear. The wife and I both have heated jacket liners, pants liners, gloves, and socks.
Thanks all for your comments. I will definitely try some on the next time I am in either Calgary or Edmonton.

I have been thinking of a pair of Gerbing pants to match my Gerbing jacket.

Chris in RD AB
post #5 of 20 Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 10:13 pm

Chris,

I purchased the Air Glides for an extended trip and they performed wonderfully. They vent a ton of air and you can use them over pants or over shorts. I experienced temp ranges from the mid 40s to 106 and felt very comfortable from 55 to 95.

I highly recommend them.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #6 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
Chris,

I purchased the Air Glides for an extended trip and they performed wonderfully. They vent a ton of air and you can use them over pants or over shorts. I experienced temp ranges from the mid 40s to 106 and felt very comfortable from 55 to 95.

I highly recommend them.

Greg
Thanks Greg,
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a pair. One question? Can you wear them by themselves in place of jeans?

Chris
post #7 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 11:48 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikano53 View Post
Thanks Greg,
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a pair. One question? Can you wear them by themselves in place of jeans?

Chris
I wear mine as pants most of the time. Only skivvies under them unless I'm stopping a lot on a trip then I wear shorts so I can pull the pants off to walk around.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Chris;

I have been wearing Motoport Kevlar Police pants for about 4 years, all the time. I also got the liner for when it rains. Great protection and only wear LD shorts under them. Well worth the investment.
www.motoport.com check them out.
Good luck in your choice.
Regards,
Bowdon
post #9 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdon View Post
Chris;

I have been wearing Motoport Kevlar Police pants for about 4 years, all the time. I also got the liner for when it rains. Great protection and only wear LD shorts under them. Well worth the investment.
www.motoport.com check them out.
Good luck in your choice.
Regards,
Bowdon

+1, going on six years with motoport gear !
post #10 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great information. I'm going to have to find dealers who sell this gear and go and try them on. I don't think I would want to order online.

All my jeans are 34" waist and 34" inseam. Do these pants fit true or should a person by one size down if they intend to wear them instead of jeans?
My goal is to not carry my chaps.

Thanks again for all the great information.

Chris in RD AB
post #11 of 20 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 9:50 am

Smile Re: OK - old traditionalist needs advice

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great information. I'm going to have to find dealers who sell this gear and go and try them on. I don't think I would want to order online.

All my jeans are 34" waist and 34" inseam. Do these pants fit true or should a person by one size down if they intend to wear them instead of jeans?
My goal is to not carry my chaps.

Thanks again for all the great information.

Chris in RD AB
If you are going to wear them year round, I would get the over pant style, so you can layer with heated gear and a liner during winter up your way, and then go for jeans under for the spring and fall and just LD comfort gear for summer.

I went with Aerostitch roadcrafter over pants and BMW jacket for winter, and Warm and Safe heated waterproof gear under the Motoport police pants and jacket for the rest of the year, but I am in California, we get to ride pretty much year round.

just my 4 cents.....inflation you know...grin.
post #12 of 20 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters View Post
If you are going to wear them year round, I would get the over pant style, so you can layer with heated gear and a liner during winter up your way, and then go for jeans under for the spring and fall and just LD comfort gear for summer.

I went with Aerostitch roadcrafter over pants and BMW jacket for winter, and Warm and Safe heated waterproof gear under the Motoport police pants and jacket for the rest of the year, but I am in California, we get to ride pretty much year round.

just my 4 cents.....inflation you know...grin.

Bob,
Thanks for your comments. I'm going in to Argyle Motorsports in Edmonton, AB this week. They have several pair of Olympia Air Glide Pants in stock and I will be able to try them on with my jeans and Sans jeans.
I do wear LDComfort undergarments when riding. I have found that 'SAXX' silk undergarments work very good as well.
Off the topic; my buddy and I just got back from spending 3 days riding in San Diego. We rented 2 BMW R1200R's from a California Motorcycle Cycle Rentals and I have to say that I don't think in 38 years of riding I have been on better roads. What a rush! Wow! I had several GPS tracks from a BMWSDG member and we did as many as we could. All I can say is we are definitely going to be back for more than 3 days and I'm going to custom build my own GPS tracks using Garmin Basecamp.

P.S. Five days of snow in our forecast. Enough already!
Chris in RD AB
post #13 of 20 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Olympia gear is a bit of a bargain because the way it is made and marketed cuts out a middleman step. Well regarded here in its home turf.
I use their vented summer jacket, current version, fluoresecent. Can't find a better one, yet. But it can get too hot, humid for vented mesh so it goes back in the closet at the upper extremes in summer.

For 3 season gear that sees more use I prefer the mid to upper end RevIt stuff. A bit better made and can be had in about any variation you want from the very top and expensive GoreTex laminates (lighter and really will effectively sub for external rain gear, unlike liners) to stuff with both removable insulating and wind/rain liners. Pretty much whatever floats your boat. Right now I'm using a 6 yr old Scirocco jacket (discontinued and better than its replacement in the line) and a similar set of pants. Wouldn't dump either- they've been great gear. RevIt jackets can be purchased with rated, correctly sized back pads.
Revzilla website shows their stuff well.

I also added an Aerostich Transit leather suit but this won't be as flexible in various temps as my fabric gear- but is waterproof and of course has the abrasion resistance of leather. But they supply cheap, hard (though properly rated) pads that I upgraded to better ventilated, more flexible versions (mostly D3) also properly rated. Like all Aerostich suits, well constructed.

Adventure guys like Klim- I don't like dark colors so avoid them- but also excellent construction stuff.

I've also got a Roadcrafter 1 piece which is the gear to have for over your work clothes commuting. You really can put it on in 10 seconds.
But I strongly prefer 2 piece for touring- its more flexible.

I see a lot of low/mid gear get worn out by our club riders who put on more miles/tour/etc. Lots of pulled stitching, some worn fabrics, etc.
For longevity and protection, there is no sub for first class build quality and one does not find that at the low end or much of the mid end fabric stuff. Some of the failures I've seen indicate that piece would have pulled apart in a minor crash, also. Webbikeworld reviews often comment on apparent build quality and can be worth reading.

My external rain gear is all GoreTex- and it still includes my original, now well over 35 year old jacket which has seen more weather than most weather stations. The durability has made me a believer- all of my newer additions (pants, additional items) are also GoreTex.

Last edited by racer7; Mar 25th, 2014 at 3:24 pm.
post #14 of 20 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
Olympia gear is a bit of a bargain because the way it is made and marketed cuts out a middleman step. Well regarded here in its home turf.
I use their vented summer jacket, current version, fluoresecent. Can't find a better one, yet. But it can get too hot, humid for vented mesh so it goes back in the closet at the upper extremes in summer.

For 3 season gear that sees more use I prefer the mid to upper end RevIt stuff. A bit better made and can be had in about any variation you want from the very top and expensive GoreTex laminates (lighter and really will effectively sub for external rain gear, unlike liners) to stuff with both removable insulating and wind/rain liners. Pretty much whatever floats your boat. Right now I'm using a 6 yr old Scirocco jacket (discontinued and better than its replacement in the line) and a similar set of pants. Wouldn't dump either- they've been great gear. RevIt jackets can be purchased with rated, correctly sized back pads.
Revzilla website shows their stuff well.

I also added an Aerostich Transit leather suit but this won't be as flexible in various temps as my fabric gear- but is waterproof and of course has the abrasion resistance of leather. But they supply cheap, hard (though properly rated) pads that I upgraded to better ventilated, more flexible versions (mostly D3) also properly rated. Like all Aerostich suits, well constructed.

Adventure guys like Klim- I don't like dark colors so avoid them- but also excellent construction stuff.

I've also got a Roadcrafter 1 piece which is the gear to have for over your work clothes commuting. You really can put it on in 10 seconds.
But I strongly prefer 2 piece for touring- its more flexible.

I see a lot of low/mid gear get worn out by our club riders who put on more miles/tour/etc. Lots of pulled stitching, some worn fabrics, etc.
For longevity and protection, there is no sub for first class build quality and one does not find that at the low end or much of the mid end fabric stuff. Some of the failures I've seen indicate that piece would have pulled apart in a minor crash, also. Webbikeworld reviews often comment on apparent build quality and can be worth reading.

My external rain gear is all GoreTex- and it still includes my original, now well over 35 year old jacket which has seen more weather than most weather stations. The durability has made me a believer- all of my newer additions (pants, additional items) are also GoreTex.
+1 on the Gore-Tex. Mine literally goes with me regardless of what I'm doing. Riding, cycling, running, kayaking hunting. It's there.
post #15 of 20 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Smile Re: OK - old traditionalist needs advice

Quote:
Bob,
Thanks for your comments. I'm going in to Argyle Motorsports in Edmonton, AB this week. They have several pair of Olympia Air Glide Pants in stock and I will be able to try them on with my jeans and Sans jeans.
I do wear LDComfort undergarments when riding. I have found that 'SAXX' silk undergarments work very good as well.
Off the topic; my buddy and I just got back from spending 3 days riding in San Diego. We rented 2 BMW R1200R's from a California Motorcycle Cycle Rentals and I have to say that I don't think in 38 years of riding I have been on better roads. What a rush! Wow! I had several GPS tracks from a BMWSDG member and we did as many as we could. All I can say is we are definitely going to be back for more than 3 days and I'm going to custom build my own GPS tracks using Garmin Basecamp.

P.S. Five days of snow in our forecast. Enough already!
Chris in RD AB
Chris, your welcome, try to stay away from the plastics in mesh, they tend to melt into your skin if you go down, I have a friend who works in an emergency room who recounted this to me when the mesh gear started coming out, hence my choice of the Motoport Kevlar Mesh.

You are always welcome to use my place as a central base next time you are California.
post #16 of 20 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters View Post
Chris, your welcome, try to stay away from the plastics in mesh, they tend to melt into your skin if you go down, I have a friend who works in an emergency room who recounted this to me when the mesh gear started coming out, hence my choice of the Motoport Kevlar Mesh.

You are always welcome to use my place as a central base next time you are California.
Thanks Bob. I appreciate your offer. Same here if you are ever up this way. Just PM me. I serve bacon, sausage, eggs fried potatoes and a side of home made beans and coffee that you can stand a spoon up in for breakfast.

Chris
post #17 of 20 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 5:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I wear the Aerostich AD-1. They fit over my jeans or shorts. The full length zippers make them removable in seconds without removing boots. They are waterproof... I love them and would buy again. I wear a 34 x 34 and a 34 long fits perfect.

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)
post #18 of 20 Old Mar 26th, 2014, 12:16 am

If you decide to shop at Argyle in Edmonton or Blackfoot in Calgary you might want to look at BMW's GS Dry suit. The missus wears both the jacket and the pants while I have the jacket and prefer BMW city pants. No rain gear is required for the missus and I carry rain pants that I can pull on over the City pants when the need arises.

I had considered Olympia, Rev'it and Klim prior to BMW, however, Olympia is not readily available in my area, the Rev'it did not allow the fit I preferred and I found the Klim to be heavier than I was happy with. All seemed good quality products and each had a number of usable and unique features.

In the end the BMW GS Dry fit me best and has proved itself in all weather. It seems to wear lighter than the others I tried on, the NP2 armour has proved very comfortable on long rides and the back protector does not ride up so as to interfere with my neck or helmet.

Regardless of manufacturer I would encourage you to put on the pants and jacket and while wearing your helmet, sit on a bike (centre stand down) to determine comfort and riding fit before you buy.
post #19 of 20 Old Mar 26th, 2014, 12:43 am

Make sure whatever gear you buy allows you to dress under it the way you want to. I loved my Aerostich two piece, with heated under jack and heated liner over my blue jeans, I could ride winter, spring, rainy days, and fall--no GO here in the summer, and too hot many days back east in the summer. BUT, shorts, short sleeve shirt were no GO.

I picked up motoport kevlar jack and pants, OK with heated under jacket and heated under garment over my blue jeans but it needs a wind breaker.

both the jacket and pants are way too HOTT for summer time here; taking the pants and jack off to zip in the water proof liners is a BIG PITA here since it can poor buckets for 10-20 minutes and then stop.

I picked up Veskimo last summer which helps for a short time. I loaded up the back pack with ice cubes, kept my Motoport jack on and went food shopping in Walmart--30 minutes later it was time to refill the backpack with ice cubes.

since we are in the 80s now, I've been debating what to do for summer gear--I wound uo using the flimsy Joe rocket Phoenix for most of the summer, a lot cooler than Motoport, no need for Veskimo, but minimal protection.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #20 of 20 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 11:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

I like my Darien pants from Aerostich. I've worn a couple of pair year-round over the past 10 years: in the summer over LD Comfort shorts, and when it's cold over long johns and/or jeans. One pair saved my skin last year after a crash.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in