Large helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Large helmet

Hi all, fathead here is looking for a helmet. I have an extra large head and looking for a flip up helmet. I can find them to fit my head but chin hits the front bar. Has anyone heard or know of a mfg that makes a lager shell? Which helmet has the most room for electronics?

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:42 am

Symax?

My wife is always telling me I have a Big Head, but my HJC Symax fits very well with room from my chin to the helmet about a finger width. I wear an XL size.

Of course it could just be her perspective........

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #3 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2006, 1:54 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Schuberth makes great flip helmets, but they are very tight in the chin. I doubt they would work for you. Just thought you could eliminate at least one brand.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2006, 2:03 pm

Your best bet may be a Shoei Syncrotec. I also have a large head 7 5/8" and it is more oval than round. Shoei helmets are more oval shaped than most other manufacturers. The Syncrotec is the only flip face helmet that comes close to fitting me. Even then I needed to do a little custom fitting with a round glass paper weight on the front and back of the liner. I do not have a problem with my chin hitting the chin bar though there isn't all that much room to spare.

The only other helmet that fits me as well or even better is an Arai Quantum 2 full face helmet. Unfortunately Arai does not make a flip style helmet. If I were to switch to a full face helmet that would be the one.

With most other brand helmets, and I think I have tried just about all of them, I can fit my fingers up one or both sides of the helmet if it fits front to back. They literally flop from side to side on my head. If it wasn't so frustrating it would be comical. I have literally had to do surgery on helmet liners to get them to fit before I started buying Shoei helmets. On a business trip a few years back I found a HD branded half helmet at a HD dealership in Atlanta that fit me like a glove. I figured I could get one back home if I wanted one. I never did see that style of helmet anywhere again.

I've always thought that somebody must have dropped me on my head when I was a baby, I haven't found much evidence to dispute my suspicions .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Last edited by jwd98056; May 23rd, 2006 at 2:11 pm.
post #5 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2006, 6:38 pm

Fatheads are everywhere....

My dad claims to have a fathead....XL+ and uses the HJC Symax. Never complains, well....about the helmet anyway......

I wear an XL and have been told that my noggin is big, but I wear a full face Arai and love it!!

My .02.....

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

post #6 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2006, 9:38 pm

If your melon is the same or smaller than the 6'5" 350lb Armenian below then http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...AB92EEC8115398 at Chapparal Motor Sports has a Nolan Flip up in XXL that fit this behemoth. He is my neighbor and was a business partner in two of my companies. He tried the XXL Nolan and liked it. I don't know about your chin issue. He went with a non flip helmet after all.

Tony 05
post #7 of 11 Old May 24th, 2006, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. In the XXL I have tried Nolan, HJC, Lazer and Arai. I have not had any help with Bell just tried what they had on the self.
I guess Iíll have to try the self modification route. Iím just not real comfortable shelling out $300 then tearing it up in hopes I can make it fit.
Thx again for the help.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.
post #8 of 11 Old May 28th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
Hi all, fathead here is looking for a helmet. I have an extra large head and looking for a flip up helmet. I can find them to fit my head but chin hits the front bar. Has anyone heard or know of a mfg that makes a lager shell? Which helmet has the most room for electronics?
You might try this helmet.Looks like a flip up.

Tony 05
post #9 of 11 Old May 28th, 2006, 5:32 pm

You Sir, owe me a new keyboard and screen!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 7:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, well almost all of them. :-) For any future references, I found a helmet Ö a Fulmer, Modus. We will see how it does in the heat of the summer but it fits, so Iím happy. $145 for a flip-up I didnít think was to bad. Just 2 small vents that donít seem to do much.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 9:02 am

Shoei fits my XXL better than anything I have tried--across the board they fit me better. Aerostich catalog describes the Shoei ling as fitting round heads best. They also decribe the Calberg line with that same verbage, you might call them with questions. Shoei has different sized liners and they will work with you to get your helmet to fit, even describing how you had make mods to the pads that work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in