Help In Selecting Riding Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 19th, 2006, 11:48 am Thread Starter
ajs

Help In Selecting Riding Gear

I have been researching on this forum and in other areas looking for some good three season (spring, summer and fall) riding gear. I am leaning towards air mesh jacket and pants with fall protection that uses removable liners and has wind/waterproof capability. Most of the wind/waterproofing seems to be under the jacket and pants. Is there a set that uses an over the jacket and pants approach. Seems to be much more practical. Does anyone out there who has taken this approach have any recommendations as to what works for them and is there any particular brand that works better than others especially with the 'over' wind/ waterproofing protection. Thanks for any and all help. Greatly appreciated.

Austin Sutton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 19th, 2006, 1:32 pm

When I was shopping for my gear, I looked at the BMW suits available at the time, but I did not like the Gore-Tex liners that went under the jacket and pants. As I understood it, the suit would get wet but the water would not get through the liner.

I preferred the Areostich approach: the Gore-Tex material is bonded to the underside of the Cordura material, and the water beads off the outer fabric.

Some riders report that the gear with separate liners is cooler in hot weather, unless of course it begins to rain, which means that you remove your jacket and pants, don the weatherproof liners, and put your pants and jacket back on. No thanks.

I went with the Aerostich Darien jacket and pants combo. It does not have the taffeta lining of the Roadcrafter suit, and is therefore more comfortable in hot weather. I wear this outfit year long (fleece liner and/or Gerbings electric liner in Winter).

My wife has a FirstGear Mesh-Tex jacket with a waterproof inner liner. I wouldn't want that as my only gear, not enough comfort range. Her teeth were chattering on a June evening last year.

I have a Vanson mesh jacket that I occasionally wear in hot weather, but I don't have a liner for it and have only worn it in the rain once, because I got soaked. That's a fair weather jacket only.

For all around versatility it's hard to beat the Darien. There are other brands with similar designs for less money, but I believe I have gotten my money's worth out of the Darien.

My two cents.
post #3 of 4 Old May 19th, 2006, 1:51 pm

My wife and I use the Olympia Air Glide gear. It has the zip in/out liners you mentioned that is rainproof. I really don't find it a problem as it is only used in the winter and seldom taken out. For rain in the warm weather I use a Firstgear rain suit instead. Otherwise it would be too hot with the liners (they are very warm). Without the liners the Olympia suits are cooler than riding with blue jeans because of the teriffic ventilation.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"

post #4 of 4 Old May 19th, 2006, 9:37 pm

I would agree with Brian. If you do buy something with liners, they aren't very practical for rain situations where you get caught in the rain. A $40 set of rain gear takes up very little space, but gives some good versatility. Easy to put on in the rain and can also be used when you get caught out in the cold. Of course, if you are riding in the Southern US during the summer and it starts to rain, a set of rain gear is going to get awful warm. There are some GoreTex rain suits out there, I think even BMW has one, and they would breath in the heat.

I just ordered a mesh jacket from MotoPort and I am going to hold off on the lining for now. My Cycloak jacket is great for Fall-Spring, but gets pretty toasty in the summer. I did ride in the Cycloak in 100 degree heat, but it wasn't comfortable at all. I think the newer Cycloak stuff has some pitzips, but I don't know if that is enough. I found that with the cuffs and neck loosened up, I could do the Michelin Man routine and stay cooler. Doesn't feel as bad when the jacket isn't touching your skin.

It just doesn't make sense to me to have a waterproof liner. I guess I have never tried it, but I keep things in my pockets. If rain comes up suddenly, then you have to stop, undress, don liners, and don pants/jacket. If you buy some kind of rain gear, you just slide it over what you have on and everything is still dry when you get where you are going. Unless it is warm enough for you to sweat like crazy inside the rubber suit.

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in