Summer Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 6:13 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 91
Summer Gear

Looking to get some new gear for warm weather riding (pants, jacket). Is the BMW brand gear any better then the others and can you guys recommend some options and a goo site to get it.

Thanks a bunch!
makinne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 7:22 am
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,905
For summer riding, I love my BMW Commuter II jacket. It vents amazingly well. And wearing an UnderArmor shirt underneath assures that you'll stay cool, as it wicks away sweat. For pants, I recommend BMW's 'Summer Pants', or '3 Phase' pants with the liner removed.

HTH
messenger13 is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 7:31 am
Senior Member
 
KayGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stone Mountain, GA, USA
Posts: 368
I just ordered the Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar suit last night to replace my FirstGear Mesh-tex suit. Check out this link for a comparison of Motoport vs Aerostitch: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

You also may want to check out this link called "Save Your Hide": http://www.motoport.com/saveyourhide...1-800-777-6499

http://www.motoport.com/

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
KayGee is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 8:22 am
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,316
Moi just switched to the Marsee full flow jacket the jacket . Big selling point for me was the location of the rain liner. It goes on the outside of the coat instead of the inside. And I look prettly studly in it
rixchard is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 10:16 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , ,
Posts: 118
TourMaster

I use TourMaster summer coal & pants. I like them.
joemcd is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 10:33 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monticello, MS,
Posts: 244
I got the First Gear HT air overpants, I like these because they serve multiple functions as a summer overpants worn over shorts "good ventilation", and rain pants with the rainproof liner installed, also could be worn in the winter over jeans. I also have the First Gear Mesh Tex 2 Jacket with liner. First gear stuff is well made and this setup serves me well.
CARNEYM is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 10:53 am
Senior Member
 
zaphod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Little Rock, AR, USA
Posts: 654
I'll second the Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar gear. I have the pants and am waiting for the jacket. The only down side is the 12 week wait to have them made, but it's worth it.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zaphod is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 12:16 pm
Senior Member
 
Tallyho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Roseville (Gateway to the Sierras), CA, USA
Posts: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNEYM
I got the First Gear HT air overpants, I like these because they serve multiple functions as a summer overpants worn over shorts "good ventilation", and rain pants with the rainproof liner installed, also could be worn in the winter over jeans. I also have the First Gear Mesh Tex 2 Jacket with liner. First gear stuff is well made and this setup serves me well.
We have the First Gear HT Air pants and Mesh Tex 2 jacket combo as well. Excellent airflow, convertability, rainproof(no need to pack the rainsuit), and nice styling. One more bonus, FG makes matching color keyed summer gloves with knuckle armor for the Mesh Tex jackets that are very comfortable and offer great airflow. On top of that, you can get currently get the pants, jacket, and gloves for around $350 for the set if you shop around the net.

By the way, Joe can recommend all the BMW gear in the world and I am sure he has owned one of everything over the years. Just don't go thinking he walked into a BMW dealer and laid down list price jack to get them.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
Tallyho is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 12:52 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 91
Thanks for all the info guys This will really help get me started. Man, did not realize protective gear was so $$$$. But hey its cheaper then the medical bills
makinne is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 3:24 pm
Senior Member
 
jsciullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dublin, OH, USA
Posts: 489
Thumbs up

I used the BMW Venting Machine jacket and pants- love it!! Under Armor tee shirt and underware are also a plus. I like BMW gear... expensive but good stuff.
Jim in Dublin, OH
jsciullo is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 6:50 pm
Senior Member
 
Tallyho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Roseville (Gateway to the Sierras), CA, USA
Posts: 2,083
Wink First Gear Combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
We have the First Gear HT Air pants and Mesh Tex 2 jacket combo as well. Excellent airflow, convertability, rainproof(no need to pack the rainsuit), and nice styling. One more bonus, FG makes matching color keyed summer gloves with knuckle armor for the Mesh Tex jackets that are very comfortable and offer great airflow. On top of that, you can get currently get the pants, jacket, and gloves for around $350 for the set if you shop around the net.
I got several PMs on where to find this combo on the net. You may be able to find better prices if you buy from several different places but if you want them all from one place with one flat shipping fee go to www.motorcyclecloseout.com and look them up. Be careful on what you order especially the pants because there are numerous First Gear products listed. This set comes in Black, Red, Blue, or Silver. Here is what I found this afternoon from them.

First Gear Mesh Tex 2 Summer Jacket - $87.88 Mens or Womens
(They also have the new Mesh Tex 3 at $115.96, Mens only, some minor styling changes)
First Gear HT Air All Season Overpants 2.0 - $159.96 Mens or Womens
First Gear Mesh Tex Summer Gloves - $31.96

$279.80 plus $20 shipping. Not bad for a name brand, rainproof, mesh riding suit.

I know www.newenough.com is closing out last years model of the HT Air All Season Overpants 1.0 at $139.95 and also has carries the Mesh Tex 2 Summer jacket at $89.00. I am not sure they have the matching gloves but you can call them and perhaps save another $20-30 in the process.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
Tallyho is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 7:00 pm
Senior Member
 
yaklt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 141
I've had a couple of different pants, and like the BMW summer pants best.

On jackets, I prefer the Vanson VENT for around the city

Yarko
'05 Dark Gray LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yaklt is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 8:00 pm
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 61
hot weather clothing

Hi Mark,
Former Ohioan who now rides in South Florida and in New Mexico.
I have been pretty happy with the summer gear I bought from Brosh...an Israeli company.
www.brosh.com
Ride safe,
Ron
ronjrieth is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old May 18th, 2006, 8:38 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stuart, FL, USA
Posts: 121
I use Olympia Airglide. It is mesh with hard and soft armor and comes with a very light weight rainproof liner. Useful through a wide temp range.

Jim
arwadowd is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old May 19th, 2006, 5:39 am
Senior Member
 
TomMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Garner, NC, USA
Posts: 184
Warm Weather Gear

I also encourage you to look at the Olympia Airglide 2 series. I looked closely at this as compared to the BMW Venting Machine and could not come up with any significant advanage to purchasing the BMW gear (other than the BMW roundel) to justify the $800+ BMW price. Olympia gear came in around $450.

Airglide 2 comes with a nice liner for those cooler mornings. Quality seems on par with BMW and Olympia uses name brand materials in the construction of their riding gear. Gear also comes in a lighter color as compared to the Venting Machine black only color. I have been very pleased thus far.

See: http://www.olympiamotosports.com/

2003 K1200LT Titan Silver - The Great Escape
TomMoss is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old May 19th, 2006, 7:07 am
Senior Member
 
zolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: , ,
Posts: 109
Motoport Kevlar second to none!!!

I love BMW clothes. Expensive but always quality items. But my only non-BMW item is my Motoport Kevlar suit.

When it comes to protection and keeping cool, Motoport Kevlar is better then anything else on the market. As a matter of fact nothing even comes close as a complete suit. It is all mesh so you don't need zippered openings for venting. Plus you have to realize it is more than a kevlar mesh suit. With the liners it is a rain suit and a cold weather suit. I've used it for all those conditions. I've had it for over three years. I've used it in every extreme weather condition and for well over 50,000 miles.

I did a 8,000 mile ride last year in Mexico and Central America. I drove over 1,000 miles a day on over 4 days. I had days when it was a comfortable 110 degrees because of the suit. In 2004 I did the 4 Corner USA ride, 11,800 miles in 15 days. In Yellowstone it was 25 degrees, in the Baja it was 108 degrees, on the east coast I never saw sunshine just pouring rain. The Motoport with or without the liners was perfect for each day. I was always comfortable. This year it's Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

And the protection is the best you can get. The suit is undestructable and you can send it in for repairs to the reflective trim or other problems. I know because I've taken a spill. The suit and my body were OK after slidding down the highway. The reflective trim got a little messed up so that winter I set it back to Motoport to have the trim replaced and it still looks like new. You can even have it altered if you change sizes.

Frankly people who think other suits are better have never had a Motoport kevlar mesh or are maybe into style more then safety and functionality. It took me a year of testing and research to decide on a suit. I'm sure I wasn't a favorite customer of some of the motorcycle apparel suppliers because of the many UPS return shipments they had to deal with after I tried on different suits.

Looking at yourself in a mirror with your riding suit on doesn't prove anything about how your suit will handle the situation when you really need the protection. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong and jump/fall off a moving vehicle at 30 MPH and see what happens to you and your $$$$ riding suit. I did with my Motoport, nothing happened to me and I'm still wearing the same suit.

Last edited by zolman; May 19th, 2006 at 7:26 am.
zolman is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old May 19th, 2006, 7:11 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
bblalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Swansboro(area), NC, USA
Posts: 650
Cool

In addition to First Gear Mesh jacket I use a cooling vest. In Eastern NC it gets hot and humid but the vest works great. It cools when you wet it but gives some insulation when dry, for those cool mornings, before the heat! Go to www.coolingapparal.com

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
bblalock is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old May 19th, 2006, 7:51 am
Junior Member
 
KellyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edmond, OK, USA
Posts: 13
I bought a mesh jacket with armor from Moto Direct USA still trying to find pants but this jacket is very nice and there prices are great!

2000 K1200 LTC
KellyM is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old May 19th, 2006, 8:47 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
STARFIGHTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR, USA
Posts: 1,561
Cool

Getting gear together for our "big Trip" that will circumnavigate the US, has kept me riding constantly from the valley up to the pass, testing gear in both hot and cold temps. to determine the least amount of gear to cover the widest range of possibilities.
And the verdict is: Alpinestar vented jacket, BMW phase change underware, Aerostitch darrien pants and FirstGear rain jacket, with a heated vest for that ride through Glacier. So far this combonation has covered from 38 to 80 F.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
STARFIGHTER is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old May 19th, 2006, 9:45 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolman
I love BMW clothes. Expensive but always quality items. But my only non-BMW item is my Motoport Kevlar suit.

When it comes to protection and keeping cool, Motoport Kevlar is better then anything else on the market. As a matter of fact nothing even comes close as a complete suit. It is all mesh so you don't need zippered openings for venting. Plus you have to realize it is more than a kevlar mesh suit. With the liners it is a rain suit and a cold weather suit. I've used it for all those conditions. I've had it for over three years. I've used it in every extreme weather condition and for well over 50,000 miles.

I did a 8,000 mile ride last year in Mexico and Central America. I drove over 1,000 miles a day on over 4 days. I had days when it was a comfortable 110 degrees because of the suit. In 2004 I did the 4 Corner USA ride, 11,800 miles in 15 days. In Yellowstone it was 25 degrees, in the Baja it was 108 degrees, on the east coast I never saw sunshine just pouring rain. The Motoport with or without the liners was perfect for each day. I was always comfortable. This year it's Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

And the protection is the best you can get. The suit is undestructable and you can send it in for repairs to the reflective trim or other problems. I know because I've taken a spill. The suit and my body were OK after slidding down the highway. The reflective trim got a little messed up so that winter I set it back to Motoport to have the trim replaced and it still looks like new. You can even have it altered if you change sizes.

Frankly people who think other suits are better have never had a Motoport kevlar mesh or are maybe into style more then safety and functionality. It took me a year of testing and research to decide on a suit. I'm sure I wasn't a favorite customer of some of the motorcycle apparel suppliers because of the many UPS return shipments they had to deal with after I tried on different suits.

Looking at yourself in a mirror with your riding suit on doesn't prove anything about how your suit will handle the situation when you really need the protection. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong and jump/fall off a moving vehicle at 30 MPH and see what happens to you and your $$$$ riding suit. I did with my Motoport, nothing happened to me and I'm still wearing the same suit.
Which suit did you buy looks like they have a couple. Thanks again for the input
makinne is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old May 19th, 2006, 10:37 am
Senior Member
 
zolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: , ,
Posts: 109
Motoport

I have the air mesh kevlar jacket and pants with the goretex liners. They are the ones you see on my avatar.

When you look at then and feel them it doesn't seem like they would fit comfortable. They seem stiff. But when you put them on without the liners it's like they are not even there because there is so much air flow. It's totally different from anything else I've ever worn.

Last edited by zolman; May 19th, 2006 at 10:55 am.
zolman is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old May 19th, 2006, 5:16 pm
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 713
I'm a BMW fan and wear the Venting Machine,,, Its the best that I've seen. The Venting Machine also has pants so its a complete suit..

The cost is a little higher but you WILL get what you pay for. There is allot of excellent gear out there so find what fits you best..

I also wear the Tourguard in the winter and would buy it again in a second, its so warm and comfortable......

Look around try them all.........Regards Pete
petepeterson is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old May 19th, 2006, 6:36 pm
Senior Member
 
yaklt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 141
Thanks Keith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee
I just ordered the Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar suit last night to replace my FirstGear Mesh-tex suit. Check out this link for a comparison of Motoport vs Aerostitch: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

You also may want to check out this link called "Save Your Hide": http://www.motoport.com/saveyourhide...1-800-777-6499

http://www.motoport.com/
Thanks for these links... liked the info; this stuff has my attention now

Yarko
'05 Dark Gray LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yaklt is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old May 19th, 2006, 6:42 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: near Binghamton, NY, USA
Posts: 434
First Gear here too.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
ksailor is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old Jun 11th, 2006, 9:35 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tuscola (S. of Abilene), TX, USA
Posts: 141
I have been watching these warm weather gear posts carefully. Up to this point its been a t-shirt and jeans unless it was cool enough for my armored leather jacket but I now want the protection all the time. I borrowed an Olympia Airglide jacket and tried it in BC temps from 102 to 106 today in very low humidity--90% of the time it was 104. I tried t-shirt only, t-shirt/Airglide, REI medium weight polyester long sleeve undershirt with Airglide, and bought an Underarmor long-sleeve shirt today during test also. I was in both sun and cloud shade. I was definately more comfortable with jacket on in all cases. The REI shirt, which fit looser than the UnderArmor was a little more comfortable than any other combination. I am going to buy the Airglide jacket and pants.

'02 Silver R1150RT

Lynn
tumbleweed is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 8:53 am
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,316
I have been buying quite a few warm weather garments at REI. Lots of good, light, breathable stuff there
rixchard is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rider's Gear Suitable for the Office? hschisler Rider's Gear & Luggage 14 May 31st, 2006 4:21 pm
Where to find good touring gear SilverBuffalo Chit Chat 15 Apr 1st, 2006 6:37 am
LQQKing for riding gear that fits ErnieA Rider's Gear & Luggage 10 Jan 24th, 2006 10:05 pm
Pick a gear - any gear.... cpaine K1200LT 9 Nov 17th, 2005 7:13 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome