Motoport kevlar jacket and pants, 4 Season? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 12th, 2014, 12:59 am Thread Starter

Motoport kevlar jacket and pants, 4 Season?

NOT!!
Just the jacket alone, no pants in the summer was NO-WAY! last summer when temps got into the lower 90s unless i was on an interstate going over 60mph. even the addition of a Veskimo vest with either the back pack (wonder what that does to a body if you crash and hit the ground, have your body flipping around or sliding down the road?) or carry box didn't cut it, other than short spans of time.

now, with recent temps in the 70s and upper to mid 30s at night, I NEED to turn the heating elements of my Gerbings gear on, or It's just to cold when riding, especially around my shoulders and back. One night with temps in the mid to upper thirties, I stopped and put on Gortex type rain jacket over the Motorport jacket which helped a little. So rain jacket over motoport jacket with Gerbings jacket under motoport, with Gerbings heated liner under Gerbings jacket.

From 4 seasons i'm down to less than three. I bought a used Motorport rain jacket designed to be sized inside of the jacket. Claiming it was as easy as putting one on over the jacket as taking the jacket off and putting on the insert, let alone zipping it in, is just silly!! Especially so when one considers riding in monsoon season here which is typified by fast moving storm cells--riding in just a few sprinkles to any where between 1 minute to 12 minutes of rain, no rain for minutes to many hours before next cell.

Best from T'son
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 12th, 2014, 2:29 am

Re: Motoport kevlar jacket and pants, 4 Season?

Bob,

I have the motorport Kevlar gear as well and here is a list of how I use the motorport gear if it helps...

It does get little chilly when the temp drops low and the gerbing cannot supply the heat to my back as necessary.

This is the jacket, (all photos are off the internet and not me )

and the pants like this

I ride year round from 100+ FL temps to 20 degree mountain riding in a thermal layer of this

and

And a a BMW Balaclava 100% of the time...

The long sleeve shirt, shorts and balaclava is ALWAYS the base layer from 20 to 100+ degrees.

If it is real cold I add a neck protector like this

I then add a layer as it gets colder.

I add a thick pair of jeans as the temp starts to drop and then the gerbings heated jacket and apply the heat thru the gerbings as necessary.

IF I am going to be in the lower temps for what is comfortable I add the Aero-Tex Pant Liner and the Ultra II Jacket Liner (No Insulation) as needed.

For boots I have the Airflow 2 for warm weather

And the AllRound for colder temps

For gloves I find that the BMW Airflow work FINE year round in all temps with the heated grips on the LT

for socks I use the wigman sock liner in the airflow boot

http://www.socksperts.com/Gobi-Liner...FWJo7AodD00AvA

I am sure that each of us tolerates the temperature extremes differently but I find that in over 70 degrees just the under layer and Motoport gear work just fine.

As the temp rises it does get a little warm, but the mesh keeps the air flowing and I know that from experience that having the layers is so much better than the sun baking on the skin.

When it rains, depending on the temp, I might add the liners from motoport. BUT I find that in FL when the heat rises so does the chance of rain and a the rain cools me down so I normally won't put on the liners in the summer heat.

I hope this helps

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pauleknight; Jan 12th, 2014 at 2:36 am.
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 12th, 2014, 5:28 am

Bob, I pretty much agree with Paul on this. The Motoport gear takes some getting used to, and after you figure it out, works very well. I have the high vis jacket as shown, and can use it into the high 90's and humidity we have in south Louisiana in the summer. I previously had a black version that was very uncomfortable in the heat simply because it was black. The Hi vis version is way cooler for obvious reasons.

The jacket does have a problem with electric liners, but the trick is to use a lightweight shell over the liner as a wind block and then put the jacket on. I have one of the Aerostitch wind blocker jerseys and it works quite well in very cold weather. Once into the 30's I generally put on the rain coat over the whole thing for another layer of wind protection and the added insulation thickness it provides.

I recently added a Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pant system, and find this to be an outstanding product. I had been looking for a non-mesh jacket and pants, preferably Goretex or something of the sort, so it would breath and be waterproof. We happened to be riding through Asheville, NC and dropped by Eurosport Asheville.

http://www.eurosportasheville.com/

By good fortune they were having a sale with a great discount on everything in the store, and I ran across the Klim jacket that called to me across the store. The fact I saved a bunch of money also helped, so I came away with this:

Klim site:

http://www.klim.com/Motorcycle/Badlands-Pro-Jacket.html

The Motoport gear is nice, but the Klim is right up there as outstanding gear, and the pricing is in the same ballpark. It is also better than the BMW stuff (same price range also) in a lot of aspects.

I have been using the Klim in heavy rain and it is waterproof. In wet and cold weather, it has been outstanding too. Yesterday we had a great day into the 70's and I opened the vents and was again totally comfortable. The big test is when the temps get into the 80's and up. I usually switch to mesh gear at that point.

I have to say that I had the misfortune to crash-test one of the Motoport airmesh kevlar jacket and pants a few years ago. It worked perfectly, no road rash at all. Only damage was four cracked ribs and a good hit on the helmet. ATGATT worked nicely.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 14th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post

I recently added a Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pant system, and find this to be an outstanding product. I had been looking for a non-mesh jacket and pants, preferably Goretex or something of the sort, so it would breath and be waterproof.
I have Rev'it Cayman Pro jacket and pants in light gray and added a Rev'it mesh jacket for the summer and I was satisfied with moving from dark textile to light colored textile. Major temp difference. Only problem that I have is it gets real dirty. I made the mistake of washing my mesh without using a 'tech' wash and removed the 'water resistance' coating. Big mistake. I tried to use a tech wash in (Nikwax) to recover the water resistance but it hasn't worked and it gets dirtier even quicker now. I am looking at doing something new and I looked at Klim. I saw the line last year at Americade and I have not been able to try on any since. I will return in the spring to Americade and continue my quest.

It seems they have a different design point and they don't have a summer jacket only a mid weight line stressing layering with moisture wicking in heat and electrics in cold. I have both and can see where that would work. I have a real Gortex rain suit I used in the '90s with my leathers and I know that really works, unlike most of the copycats you see in most gear, except BMW..

Since my Rev'it pants really need a cleaning and I'm hesitating doing it because once I lose or compromize the water resistant coating I will need to always put the rain liners in. Now I can survive light or almost moderate rain if I keep moving.

The real advantage of the Klim adventure based M/C gear is they use real Gortex and that is applied to the inside of the fabric and it can be washed in a regular washing machine. Using their light gray and white jacket color scheme could work for me. Very pricey but I need to do something for next season to replace my mesh jacket so it might be the best time for me to change everything.

So, my question ... you stated that the 90's was acceptable. Compared to what you had before .. was that a Klim black version? or Motorport black pants/jacket?

I found a vendor that would order me Klim at a substantial discount but I could not return it because he did not sell there M/C gear.. only snowmobile stuff.. so I really need to be sure I get exactly what I want and the right size, the first time.

Another question is .... have you seen another brand since you bought Klim that had similar properties.. and you would expect a similar riding experience to Klim equipment. BMW branded gear is quality but I find it is very heavy and I think that would promote riding with less in hot weather.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 17th, 2014, 9:25 am

I wanted to add a quick update.

Wednesday night I had to make a trip from Orlando to Birmingham. 550 miles

I left at 5pm EST in temps around 50.
I had my full Motorport rainfly and gerbings jacket , gerbings heated boot liners, heavy jeans, etc....

3 hours in the 50's
3 hours in the 40's
2 hours in the 30's
1 hour under 30

All was well till the last hour in the 30's. I stopped for gas and a cup of coffee.

After getting back on the bike I could not warm up again at 1am and the temps were drifting under 30 degrees.

After 20 minutes I found a hotel and checked in for 5 hours of warmth to complete the last hour ride in the morning.

This is NOT an indictment of Motoport or Gerbing.

I think that 9 hours was my limit.

What are your thoughts on longer riding in the cold?

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 17th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight View Post

9 hours straight in good conditions with minimal breaks can task most people. Good conditions I can do 18 hours with breaks at least every two hours.

When I worked, (retired 2011) I used my LT for transport from late May till late fall overnights had road temps at or very near freezing. Black ice or potential liquid or rain runoff made it too dangerous. When I left home for work I never knew how far or long or where I would be, but I usually had a good idea. When I went on a day trip that would take 8 hours by interstate or backroads in the same relative conditions as you described I was always happy to get there... 8 hours riding would be what I would try to limit my run at.

The toughest I found was not 30 degrees but 45 or so and raining.

My right pannier was my clothes locker. Same gear all year. I would update whatever I had on the tens..

Below 70 mesh off long coat on
Below 60 heated liner in jacket (no heat, grips on)
Below 50 heat on seat on low
below 40 added winter jacket liner and rain liner seat high... start slowing down..
Below 30 .... slow down and using side roads where possible.

For me below 32 is where I generally drew the line..

I only cleared snow off once and allowed engine heat to defrost windshield to get home, but it was only 10 miles..... and roads were just wet and salted.. and it was a GL1500. I doubt the LT engine heat would have defrosted the windshield.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 20th, 2014, 5:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
So, my question ... you stated that the 90's was acceptable. Compared to what you had before .. was that a Klim black version? or Motorport black pants/jacket?

I found a vendor that would order me Klim at a substantial discount but I could not return it because he did not sell there M/C gear.. only snowmobile stuff.. so I really need to be sure I get exactly what I want and the right size, the first time.

Another question is .... have you seen another brand since you bought Klim that had similar properties.. and you would expect a similar riding experience to Klim equipment. BMW branded gear is quality but I find it is very heavy and I think that would promote riding with less in hot weather.

My original motoport gear was the black Airmesh Kevlar II with the hi-vis inserts. It was perfectly usable in most temperatures up to the high 90's so long as you were moving. At stops it would be a bit uncomfortable. I changed to the full hi-vis setup like shown in the photo above after crash-testing the black one (it worked perfectly!). The light color of the hi-vis jacket was noticeably cooler because it was not black and absorbing heat.

As far as other jackets beside the Klim, I have not really looked for anything else. The Klim was a good find at the right time because I needed something a bit less drafty than my usual mesh stuff (a bit chilly in cool weather), either the Motoport or the Olympia Airglide 3 Jacket, orange and yellow hi-vis. I generally find that I have to try on both jackets and pants before purchase, and avoid all the back and forth of returns and re-tries.

As far as weight, the Motoport and the Klim gear is a bit heavy due to the armor, but I do not find it bad when riding. The Olympia jacket is much lighter due to design, and has good armor, but nowhere near the protection of the other two.

One of the nice things about the Klim is the fact that it is a shell of GoreTex Pro that does not require a rain liner or external rain gear. It is very well made and screams of quality. One of the issues I had with the BMW stuff, as well as other types of gear is that much of it uses liners, and when wet becomes very heavy and soaked. The Motoport uses liners but does not absorb water so no weight gain to speak of, and dries quickly. The only real issue is that for scattered showers in the summer, you have to decide to sweat a bit or ride through the rain and dry out while riding.

So far, I can rate the Klim as the winner as a 3 season jacket, and will be interested to see how it functions with all the vents open in hot weather conditions.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,

Last edited by ka5ysy; Jan 20th, 2014 at 6:46 am.
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 20th, 2014, 6:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight View Post
This is NOT an indictment of Motoport or Gerbing.

Paul, a suggestion for you: When riding in my Motoport gear in very cold weather, (similar setup as you) I add my external rain suit over everything. That gives a wind block layer, as well as making a large dead space of air inside that makes the electric liner work very well and I have ridden in wet conditions at near freezing, as well as freezing weather into the low 20's in complete comfort.

The problem with mesh gear is that it is passing a lot of air as designed, and actually works like a large heat sink pulling heat away from the liners and radiating it into the cold. The external rain gear eliminates this problem entirely.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,

Last edited by ka5ysy; Jan 20th, 2014 at 6:48 am.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 20th, 2014, 5:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post

So far, I can rate the Klim as the winner as a 3 season jacket, and will be interested to see how it functions with all the vents open in hot weather conditions.
Thanks for the update...

Looked like the quality was there and hopefully by June when I will make my decision after I try on all the sizes you will have experienced some hot weather.. I will ping you then...

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in