Good Mid-weight Gloves? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 11th, 2006, 10:30 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Good Mid-weight Gloves?

I'm in need of some new gloves. I have a great set of Held winter gloves with Outlast for cold temps, and I have some good Cortech mesh gloves for extreme heat.

What I had been using for normal rides (50-80 degrees) are BMW Summer Gloves. They are a thin leather-reinforced textile glove with no padding or real crash protection, but have Gore-Tex for those warm, possibly rainy days. But after 5 years and 100K miles, they're pretty well beat.

I like the idea that they were waterproof and lightweight, though the lack of any real crash protection did bother me (never needed to test that out though). I've also used Held leather gloves in the past and found them very comfortable and well built, but they were stolen many years ago. Plus they weren't at all waterproof, though I'm not sure that is a requirement as I have the Held winter gloves now.

Before I went and tried on a zillion gloves, I thought I'd ask for recommendations from the collective. Note that I usually take an XL or XXL, but most gloves come in larger sizes these days.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 11th, 2006, 10:39 am

This looks interesting. AND it's only 137 miles from you(based on your info). Makes for a good excuse to ride won't it? AND if you decide to check it out, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Ramon

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/default.asp
post #3 of 9 Old May 11th, 2006, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake
This looks interesting. AND it's only 137 miles from you(based on your info). Makes for a good excuse to ride won't it? AND if you decide to check it out, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Ramon

Ken:

Brecht carried the Lee Parks, I assume North County is carrying the same lines since taking over the dealership, but have not been there to see. I looked at them and was seriously considering a pair, but circumstances unfortunately made them unnecessary. Looked great, and were very comfortable. Not cheap, but Held isn'd either, so you know the drill.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 9 Old May 11th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I thought I'd ask for recommendations from the collective. Note that I usually take an XL or XXL, but most gloves come in larger sizes these days.
I have these and I still use them as my day to day riders. Seem to be a good mix of comfort/protection but it hasn't been very warm yet. Don't know if you looked at them while we were at Elton's. I have the ones you sold me for wet/cold.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #5 of 9 Old May 11th, 2006, 1:15 pm
Ted

Hey Ken,

Been using the Aerostich Elkskin Ropers (natural tan) for 3 years - love 'em.

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=301&page=1

btw - loved the pic and banter w/ you in front of the ducky pond!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #6 of 9 Old May 11th, 2006, 5:18 pm

I am usually pretty unhappy with gloves that I try on. Generally, the fingers are too short or the seams on the inside a irritatingly large. I have found that Teknic gloves tend to fit me pretty well. I don't know the model names/numbers. I have full leather with gaunlet and plastic over the knuckles for colder rides. Then I have a glove without gaunlet that has a leather palm and stretchy brethable back side with hard plastic knuckle protection and little rubbery pieces on the fingers. Both are very comfortable. I paid about $40 for each pair on sale or clearance.

New Enough seems to have a good selection of Teknic gloves and they are usually pretty cheap.

Those Aerostich gloves look like a real good bargain though.

Eric
post #7 of 9 Old May 11th, 2006, 9:08 pm

Gloves

Gloves are very subjective, depending on prior use of hands.
I carry 2 pair of gloves in warmer months, Elkskin ropers, from your local cop shop (way cheaper then the catalog version) even more so if you have a Motorcop get them for you. Also a set of midweight Alpine Stars for those nights that drop below the comfort point. (20+ Years as a bouncer left my hands in less than perfect shape, so below 40 without some insulation they start to ache)
Rock
post #8 of 9 Old May 11th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake
AND if you decide to check it out, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Ramon

I have had a pair of Lee Parks deerskins for a few years; these have been my primary non-winter gloves. Overall, I'm pretty happy with them. I have finally worn holes in the thumbs, so I'm looking again, and I'll look at Lee's stuff first. My biggest problem was fit -- I have relatively small hands, but they're "meaty". In order to get a glove big enough to fit over my palm, the glove fingers were too long for my digits (you should definitely test-fit before buying). The rest of the glove was good enough for me to put up with that, though. The ones I had didn't have any armor, but frankly that didn't concern me -- I figure that if I'm in something that will result in a hard impact on my knuckles, I'll have other more important problems to be dealing with!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 9 Old May 12th, 2006, 12:35 pm
Ted

Here are mine after 3 years and 30,000 miles...and if you can get 'em cheaper through law enforcement supply all the better! I think I paid $32 or $34 in 2003.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elkskin Ropers @30K.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	3799  

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in