Light and silent helmet? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 9th, 2006, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Light and silent helmet?

I'm on the market for a helmet, again.
I had a 1999 Arai signet that was really good on fit and comfort.
Thank in 2004 I decided that 5 years was good enough for a helmet and bought a Nolan X-Lite.
My head complain a lot so I give up by the end of that summer.
Then I bought another Arai Signet GT/R in 2005 (loots of money) and for my surprise, that helmet is a pain.
I was thinking it will settle down after some miles but not. Actually, it is getting worst either in fit as in convert and noise.
After talking with my dealer, replacing pads and liners couple times, he finally found out that Arai change the interior design on the Signet line. THATS IS REALLY BAD.
If they want to change something why give the same name on the line?
So I got a metric tape and measure the insides on my old Arai and the new (both Signets) and the format IS different. The head is smaller on the top. This is why I have headeaks after 1 hours using it...

So, I'm looking to the 'perfect for me' helmet.
I want something light, silent, with a lot of ventilation and more important: need to try it before buy, so those helmets available only outside USA will not fit the bill.

Any imputs from on your own helmet? How do you like it?

Thank you

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 10th, 2006, 7:04 am

The corsair is extremely light and...very noisy with the shield closed, not bad at all with it open.

I dont' think light and quiet go together on a helmet.

SO uses the quantum and says she doesn't need earplugs..she keeps the sheild down all the time.

I typically use the SZ-M aria flip-shield helmet, for long trips I'll use the full cov corsair...the difference in wt and fatigue over a long day is amazing between the two helmets, even though I really like the SZ-M overall.

Plus I can drink coffee with the SZ-M combined with the cruise control

regards...geo
post #3 of 5 Old May 10th, 2006, 11:30 am

Try the Scorpion EX700

Elton,

I probably have a similar head shape as you, since my 2000 Signet fits me better than any helmet I've ever had. But, as old as it is, I decided to semi-retire it. Then it's taken me almost a year of standing around in bike shops wearing helmets to find another with as good a fit, (I have a protruding forehead...very hard to fit). I wanted to try something other than Arai, since I was never quite happy with the ventilation, expense and faceshield attachment.

I finally settled on the Scorpion EX700. It's not quite up to the fit and finish of Arai or Shoei, (what is?), but far better than the likes of HJC, KBC, Icon, etc. It took about two hours of riding before I was getting a minor pressure point on my forehead. But after some compression of the foam core with a soup ladle, it seems to be better. That was easy because the entire fabric liner comes out for washing.

This helmet has one of the best faceshield attachment mechanisms I've ever used. I'm considering carrying both smoked and clear shields along, something I've never thought worth doing before. I can actually remove and replace a shield whilst wearing the helmet. My only complaint is that the lowest click-stop leaves to large an opening, about an inch and a quarter.

It's much quieter than the Arai Signet, but a bit heavier. The weight may be because the Scorpion's shell diameter is larger than the Arai's by over a half inch. I wear size XL in both and I believe that Arai manufactures more shell sizes per model line than any other maker.

It was also easy to install headphone speakers and a mic for my Baehr comm system.

I could possibly go back to Arai if the Scorpion proves unworthy of 4+ hours of riding. I've only had it a couple of months. So far, so good. BTW, Arai replaced the Signet with a new model, the Profile and I've yet to see one on the shelves.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

post #4 of 5 Old May 16th, 2006, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Hi Tiff,
please let me know what do you think about this helmet after a day riding.
I checked it at the store today, and they looked OK, but still some pressure on the head... maybe if some brake-in it would be better...

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #5 of 5 Old May 17th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Thumbs up Scorpion

Elton,

I did 300 miles this Sunday for 5.5 hours, my first long distance ride with the Scorpion helmet, ( after shaping the foam core at the forehead ).

It's a keeper.

After reading your other post on the topic, (and the subsequent fall-out. Sheeesh, some people), It looks like you tried the Scorpion. If the overall cranuim shape didn't seem right and was obvious the second you put it on, then you should probably pass.

As I relayed in my previous post, the foam layer is quite thick on the size XL, so can take a bit of compression shaping without compromising the potection. I only had to indent it maybe 2mm to relieve the pressure spot

Before shaping, I was getting a hotspot at the top of my forehead in 1.5 hours.

Regarding installing a microphone, I found the Scorpion easier than the Arai. The Arai uses adhesive tape to secure the chin-bar foam piece, whereas Scorpion has it structurally "wedged" in. It's a much more positive removal and replacement proposition.

One other brand you may care too look at, if you can find it, is AGV. I tried their modular, flip-up model and it felt good for the 5 minutes I wore it. Not a single one of the other flip-up brands can I bear for long.

It's very disappointing that Arai changed their shape with the later Signet series and now the Profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Hi Tiff,
please let me know what do you think about this helmet after a day riding.
I checked it at the store today, and they looked OK, but still some pressure on the head... maybe if some brake-in it would be better...

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in