Riding gear and gore-tex liners - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:42 am Thread Starter

Riding gear and gore-tex liners

Hello to all:
Does the Gore-tex liner in a jacket get used often. I see in the BMW gear
the liners are not sold in some of the jackets and pants. Also are they more of a cold weather protection or rain protection?
If someone wears this type of gear at what temps do you wear the liner or go without it? Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:16 pm

Gore-Tex

Is a waterproof liner for your jacket. I put my liner in usually below 65 degrees.

The only problem with a waterproof liner is that the jacket still gets wet and that can add POUNDS to your jacket.... If the outer is waterproof you don't get that added weight..I use a Terramid Mesh jacket with a quilted liner for colder weather and carry a rain jacket that goes over the whole mess..That way you are layering and can cover most all weather..

HTH

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:42 pm

I wear two BMW outfits. One is waterproof, the other is not. But I could get the Gore-Tex liners if I wanted. I chose not to. When it rains, I wear the waterproof outfit. If it starts getting colder, I put on my Schampa Skinny's under-garments. If it get even colder still, I reach for my Gerbing's heated gear (glove liners, jacket liner, pants liner, and socks). Personally, I don't like rain gear, NOR do I like waterproof (Gore-Tex) liners.

post #4 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2006, 1:00 pm

Denny; If you have alredy purchased the Bmw gear the liner is a must for the coat; it cuts down on the extra clothing you have to carry and work great! We rode in snow and rain in Yellowstone last year and stayed dry and warm with the help of a heated vest. If you are in the process of buying Look at the Olympia line of gear, we just bought a pair of the pants and they are very well made.
post #5 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2006, 3:45 pm

Quick-n-Easy jacket

Joe,
I remember you saying that you wear a BMW Quick-n-Easy jacket. I have one as well and really like it. I like simplicity with minimum bulk so I also have an Aerostitch heated jacket liner. With only the liner and the Q-n-Easy, I warm and toasty down to about 35F. However, on the other end of the scale, if it gets above about 85F the Q-n-E jacket has to come off. Do you use something else for hot weather? TIA

Ron

BMW 2006 LT
HD 1999 Roadking
post #6 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2006, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtmrdr
Hello to all:
the liners are not sold in some of the jackets and pants. Also are they more of a cold weather protection or rain protection?
If someone wears this type of gear at what temps do you wear the liner or go without it? Denny
Waterproof liners just don't make sense to me. If it starts to rain you have to stop, take off your jacket (and pants!) and put on the liners. A rainsuit would be quicker and easier.
For me, the beauty of textile clothing is it's light weight, flexibility -- and with proper construction -- armor, vents and being totally waterproof. If it starts to rain I don't even have to stop, I just keep riding. At worst I have to seal-up the vents.
I'd buy a good rainsuit and skip on the Gore-tex liners.

Bruce Hodges
post #7 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2006, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronl2004
Joe,
I remember you saying that you wear a BMW Quick-n-Easy jacket. I have one as well and really like it. I like simplicity with minimum bulk so I also have an Aerostitch heated jacket liner. With only the liner and the Q-n-Easy, I warm and toasty down to about 35F. However, on the other end of the scale, if it gets above about 85F the Q-n-E jacket has to come off. Do you use something else for hot weather? TIA
I hope you meant to say Light 'n Easy. That's what I wear. I have worn it in the low 20s for hours on end with my Gerbing's underneath keeping me toasty. Once it gets to about 65° or 70°, I take it off and switch to my BMW Commuter II. LOVE IT as well. It vents amazingly well. And if you have an UnderArmor shirt underneath of it...temps above 100° are not a problem.

HTH
post #8 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:43 pm

Light-n-Easy

Yup, That's what I ment. Light-n-Easy. Thanks.

Ron

BMW 2006 LT
HD 1999 Roadking
post #9 of 9 Old May 8th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtmrdr
Hello to all:
Well, I like Gore-Tex or any of the imitations.. Up until last year I wore leathers and a Gore-Tex lined rainsuit.. kind of sounds redundant but it was just a fabric rainsuit that was Gore-Tex lined.. It worked extremely well because I could wear it in very warm weather.. above 90 and it was fine.. The problem was the days where I was riding and there was clouds and showers and that repeated every few hours and I don't like riding in a rainsuit unless it's raining.. I decided to go this time with a textile coat and pants with a Gore-Tex 'substitute' and I like it.. I never have to change into a rain suit.. so if you live/ride in a place where rain is common then I think it is very good option. I personally don't like the BMW stuff.. not because it was very expensive.. but I find their stuff to be too heavy... especially on a day above 75... and I find that those shower days seem to vary to 65 then jump to 80 in the summer...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in