Gloves for Winter Riding??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Question Gloves for Winter Riding???

I'm in the hunt for a good pair of riding gloves for this winter and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation. I like the Vanson Super Rockets but they're a little pricey. I hear Olympia makes a decent pair as well.

I would definitely like to hear from someone's experience what might be the way to go. Something comfortable, warm , and might as well add stylish.

What do ya think??

BuddyP
"The Carolinas"
2003 LTC "Black Beauty"
aka "Tha Motha Ship"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 7:20 pm

Either Gerbings heated gloves or Gerbings glove liners in your own gloves.

I went with Gerbings glove liners and my own gloves. I can use windproof/waterproof gloves in a larger size to make the glove liners more comfortable. I look for light insulation or no insulation with a fleece type or microfiber liner, maybe enven phase change material. This keeps the glove thin which keeps cramping down over the long rides in the winter.

I went to the Gerbings after riding long distances in cold weather and determined that my body could not keep up with the heat lose over many hours in the cold. Fingers would get cold as heated grips, although working, do not feel like they are working as sustained speeds increase.

I ride a K12RS but I think the principle applies to most bikes unless you get no cold wind at all.
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 7:36 pm

Sort of depends on what you mean by "winter"...

I see you are in SC. I lived in SC for 6 years, not sure you need Gerbings down there but you might appreciate them. I have two pair of gloves: A BMW pair called Indian Summer or something, wear those most of the time. Work pretty well in cooler temps with the heated grips. Pricey but really good gloves. My other pair are Gerbing's heated gloves. Kinda of bulky but very comfortable and do a great job when coupled with Gerbing's liners right down to the temps where the tires freeze to the road. For warmth, you can't go wrong with Gerbings. They aren't bad looking gloves, and I am a guy who appreciates function over form, but I don't know of the Gerbings would pass as "stylish".

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 8:00 pm

I just picked up a pair of Olympia Professional Cowhides from Aerostich. They work great so far up here in Minnesota. It was around freezing this morning and I had no problem. Maybe a little to warm.

Tim Reed
02 Toscana Green (The Toad)
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:09 pm

Cold weather gloves

You might try winter bicycling gloves. they have thin palms so the heated grips feel good and the backs are thicker and some are waterproof. I use them down to about 30 degrees plus the are inexpensive. Try performancebike.com for a good selection.
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:17 pm

Aerostitch

Mid Season Cowhide #427

These are great I have used them in 15-60 degree weather.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:57 pm

I use Olympia windproof in the winter, sometimes with Thermasilk liners - available at any ski shop. When it really gets cold or for long distances, I have Gerbings gloves and use them with full Gerbings vest and pants on their digital zoned thermostat - works very well but the gloves are bulky.

Dave
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:35 am

With the LT's heated grips, the best and CHEAPEST solution is this (first brought to my attention by that super-sleuth Dick Largen):

http://www.hotgrips.com/gloves.html

I was considering Gerbing gloves, but now I really don't think they're necessary. The Hot Grips gloves are SO logical (thin on the underside so the heat from your grips comes through, thick on top to keep cold from getting to your hands) I can't believe nobody thought of them before! And best of all, if you decide you don't like them, you're only out $39!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #9 of 19 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 2:27 am

Thumbs up

I have had the privilege to test out the new products (liner and gloves) from "Warm & Safe" (www.warmnsafe.com).

The heated gloves have a non-lined "inside of the hand", which not only allow transfer of the heat from the grip faster, and it does not loose any feel for the bike which sometimes is the case with completely lined gloves. They also come in versions for the "rider" and the "passenger".

The new liners are really great too. Thin, non-lined and have fields of spandex sewn in to fit snugly. This is also a two-version products, one for men and one in a womans cut.

I think the gloves will be on the market the end of the month and I would recommend waiting for them.

I have used Gerbings liner, gloves and socks for about 5 years and they will be kept as spares when people come to visit and want to ride the other bike.

All of the new products are really clean set ups with no dangling cords, etc.

Definitely worth taking a look at.

Stefan
post #10 of 19 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 4:23 am

I wear the Olympia "All Season" model 4350. They are wind proof, water resistant and good to around 32 deg with the grip heat on. They are not strictly speaking, a winter weight glove but they are thin enough to allow the grip heat to do its job. Below that I wear snowmobile gloves but they are very bulky and make the controls more difficult. I also sometimes use silk liners with the Olympias (on longer rides at < 40 deg) which helps out a bit.
Mac
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 7:32 am
CWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates
With the LT's heated grips, the best and CHEAPEST solution is this (first brought to my attention by that super-sleuth Dick Largen):

I was considering Gerbing gloves, but now I really don't think they're necessary. The Hot Grips gloves are SO logical (thin on the underside so the heat from your grips comes through, thick on top to keep cold from getting to your hands) I can't believe nobody thought of them before! And best of all, if you decide you don't like them, you're only out $39!

You know I asked for these last Christmas and was told they were no longer made? Thanks for link .. I'll try again. Do you know what happened?

Curtis
2006 K1200GT
post #12 of 19 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 7:50 am

winter gloves

I see alot of people spending big bucks on motorcycling gloves. I usually use a pair of ski gloves. You can get some great ski gloves with goretex liners in the $20 - 30 range at places like Burlington coat factory (or even less). I picked up a couple of pair of 70.00 expensive lined leather palmed gloves for 20.00 per pair last year at a ski shop.

They have always worked well for me. Especially considering the heated grips of the LT.. I would take the rest of the money and use it for gasoline...
post #13 of 19 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 6:24 pm

I use Tourmaster Elite

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #14 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 6:48 am
CWF

Tried again to order the hotgrips gloves again yesterday and quickly received an e-mail that they are sold out. The owner told me that they sold out last year and then found a few cases of the gloves in his factory and (story of my life) ran out before I ordered yesterday. Told me that it was very unlikely they'd ever restock.

Crap. Just though you might want to feel my pain.

Curtis
2006 K1200GT
post #15 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:10 am
Prodigal Son

http://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail2.asp?ProdID=232
These are the summer version.
The winter ones are not perforated and are insulated.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #16 of 19 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 6:03 pm

Only in Large!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates

Too bad these only come in Large! I wrote them a note saying I want an XL pair. Maybe they will listen if enough people request them.
post #17 of 19 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 9:48 am

I bought the BMW Atlantis gore-tex gloves and they are pretty nice, but expensive.

I HAVE to tell you about the gloves I bought my wife though! I was shopping Cabelas for an under armor head stocking, silk long johns etc. I found these gloves in the process:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...007&hasJS=true

They are AWESOME. They are the softest, warmest, most comfortable glove I have ever worn. I am really into feeling the hand grips so I typically hate gloves but these are so soft that the feel is GREAT.

The entire underside palm, fingers and the tips of the fingers are supple deerskin so there is some protection, if you get off.

CHEAP TOO!

Try them and let me know what you think. I highly recommend them

Brian Smith

2005 K1200LT
Canton, GA
post #18 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
My other pair are Gerbing's heated gloves. Kinda of bulky but very comfortable and do a great job when coupled with Gerbing's liners right down to the temps where the tires freeze to the road.
The new Gerbing G3 heated gloves are very different. Not bulky at all. Very comfortable and provide excellent dexterity and feel at the controls. They also look very good on or off the bike. And of course, they provide excellent warmth.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing G3 heated glove review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/p.../g3-gloves.htm
:
post #19 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
I see alot of people spending big bucks on motorcycling gloves. I usually use a pair of ski gloves. You can get some great ski gloves with goretex liners in the $20 - 30 range at places like Burlington coat factory (or even less). I picked up a couple of pair of 70.00 expensive lined leather palmed gloves for 20.00 per pair last year at a ski shop.
As an avid skier of over 25 years and owning many pairs of ski gloves, I agree on the warmth aspect. But they typically don't provide much abrasion protection to speak of. I have some good quality leather ski gloves that are quite warm, and I wouldn't wear them while riding. Abrasion resistance is just not part of their design spec. Just something to consider. Though maybe the snowboard gloves offer a little more abrasion resistance.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing G3 heated glove review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/p.../g3-gloves.htm
:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in