All summer wondering why it has become brutal? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 26th, 2013, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

All summer wondering why it has become brutal?

Then one evening I grabbed my old Joe Rocket Phoenix jack in case this lady I was going to see wanted to go out for dinner.

Then it dawned on me, this summer, in spite of using either a Veskimoe back pack or 9Qt carry container, I only used my Kevlar jacket. At the beginning of the summer I tried using the Kevlar crash pants--ROASTED!!.

One I removed my Motoport jacket and wore the joe Rocket, instant relief!! It was brutal any more!!

I was out riding today in 95F low humidity, Monsson season is over, aaaaaahhhhhh almost perfect; nice and cool, no Veskimo, not sweating buckets!!

motoport kevlar was OK running interstates; as soon as I slowed down, or was at a stand still, ROASTING. Veskimo back pack filled half way with two frozen water bottles an ice cubes lasted 30-45 minutes.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:20 am

Re: All summer wondering why it has become brutal?

Relax, in a couple of months you Arizona guys will be telling us Northerners how comfortable and pleasant your riding is when someone up here starts talking about the cold...

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Uuuuuum. Not complaining about about heat.
Once I went back to the Joe Rocket, summer time riding was as it has been since 1909 when I moved here to escape snow.
Above 95 or so the Veskimo make a big difference. I don't have to run it constantly; the back pack lasts during a 2 hour ride to Phoenix, and longer.
with the Motosport, I ran in constantly above 85; it lasted about 30 mins.
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 10:19 pm

You have been here since 1909?!?!?!?

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 4th, 2013, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincaron
You have been here since 1909?!?!?!?
That's when this forum was started!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 4th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Found a pic of Bob in Tuscon around 1909, look carefully he's in the background

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 7th, 2013, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Abso-tootly!!
Take a ride up to Jerome, on the right hand side of the road in front of the bars is a parking lot that used to be my front yard. The door to the cave I lived in is till there though no longer operational.

In order to use my Motoport jacket, I had to use a Veskimo, seems to work best directly again my skin. I doubt that is a good thang to have against my skin if I happen to slide down a road in my Motorport Jacket, with or without the pants.

Rem reading something about removing melted plastic from skin SUCKS!!~

Bob

post #8 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2013, 8:39 am

Hi Becketma,

Is that the Kevlar Mesh jacket and pants you are talking about?
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2013, 9:00 am

inquiring minds want to know, I also am looking for summer riding gear.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2013, 9:16 am

I have been using the Motoport kevlar mesh police pants and modified jacket for years, Also year around, didnt have the issues Becketma has, just wondering.
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2013, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Yes. Mesh jacket; have mesh pants but jacket alone with Veskimo was too much.

Temps have been in 80s, will try the jacket again in cool wx; worked fine in cool temps when I first got it' try adding the "pants" also.

Motoport stretch mesh with reg armourt in jacket and upgraded save my ass armor in the pants.

Good to hear you don't roast in the cop pants.

When I first started using the mesh jacket I felt air moving over my skin going down the interstate--doesn't happen with Rocket Phoenix which I believ is better when temps are greater than body temp?

come to think of it, time to wash the jacket--has white sweat marks on it.
Best from t'son
Bob

"Motoport makes the Ultra II Jacket in different materials. Ultra II Cordura Light, 1000 Denier Ultra II Cordura, Ultra II Kevlar Jacket and the jacket found here, the Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar. Each one of these jackets have the same appearance/style. The main difference are the materials used to make each jacket. The Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket's entire front/back and outer sleeves are made with Mesh Kevlar. Stretch Kevlar is located inside the sleeves and in the back shoulder pleats. There is no restriction of air flow with the open Mesh Kevlar weave. The Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket is our most protective/versatile compared to all the other Ultra II Jackets. This jacket is the best Ultra for hot weather. When the optional Aero-Tex Jacket Liner is worn, all the Ultra II jackets perform close to the same In cold/wet weather."

"Remove the liner and have a fully breathable jacket or pant that will take you from 60f to 120F. You don't need two or three different riding outfits for different weather. The Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar jacket is great for any weather.

"Remove the liner and have a fully breathable jacket or pant that will take you from 60f to 120F. You don't need two or three different riding outfits for different weather. The Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar jacket is great for any weather."

Last edited by BecketMa; Oct 8th, 2013 at 9:06 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in