Tank bag question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

Tank bag question

I am taking a long two up trip and need all the storage space I can get. I have the little BMW tank bag and was wondering if anyone has used any of the taller tank bags such as the Cortech 21 liter tank bag. Would a tall bag interfere with handlebars?
What tank bags do you use on the LT?
Thanks
P.S. Just ordered a tail bag from Mags Bags.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Tank bags

I have three different tank bags, all for different uses. Like you, I have the BMW tank bag. This is for running around town and holding the garage door opener, sunglasses, whatnot. IT is, as you know, too small for cross country travel.

So, I bought an expandable Marsee tank bag with power outlets inside and lots of pockets for my extended road trips. It is rather large, attaches to its own harness, and makes refueling a little (not a lot) difficult. Also, this bag covers the radio buttons and radio display on my '03, but since I use an MP3 player exclusively now on long road trips, I don't care about this. The good thing about this bag is that I can keep cell phone, MP3 player, or other electronics topped off by plugging into the power plug located by the shifter pedal. And did I say it holds an absolute ton of stuff? But this bag is too big for weekend or day trips. Also, every time I stop for the day I feel the urge to take it off and put it in the top box since it unzips from the harness easily.

I felt the need for an "in between" size for runs to adjacent towns or overnight stays away from home, so I bought the Chicane LT bag. I holds just enough to be serviceable, allows me to play the radio in town if I want, and attaches like the BMW bag. I keep it on the bike all the time now, like the smaller BMW bag. In fact if the Chicane had been out when I bought the BMW bag, I wouldn't have bought the BMW bag at all.
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 20th, 2006, 9:59 pm

I purchased the Chicane tank bag, nice design and roomy. The only problem is that it interferes w/ steering at full lock, inadvertently honked horn. returned the Chicane and just use the smaller BMW tank bag. just my 2 cents

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 8:37 am

FWIIW, finding the correct tank bag is like finding the correct ridding jacket. Some are to small, some are to large, and the one that seems correct today is incorrect tomorrow. What bike you ride and where you ride also make a huge difference. One tank bag will not fit all occasions.

I have an RKA 23L expandable bag which fits my needs and I like RKA products; they hold up well and maintain their shape. Unfortunately on my LT this bag covers the radio controls and display, but the display is clouded and of marginal use. I had the smaller RKA bag, but it was to small.

The first question you will want to ask yourself is when will I use the bag. I only use mine when I am travelling and it is the catch all for any items that will not fit in the other cases. That is why I like the expandable. I do not use my tank bag when I am staying local.

My bag will shift around some and when the handle bars are at full lock the bag contacts the turn signal, but that is a minor inconvenience for the additional storage space. Oh, for the mat under the tank bag go to wal-mart and get the plastic mesh drawer liner it is about 1/4 the cost of the RKA grand.

Jim in GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 8:45 am

Lunch cooler

I have one of the little lunch coolers, with the removable plastic tub. It is held on by a couple tiny bungee straps
It has a pocket on the front, one on the top that expands, and the cooler proper.
Cost about 5 bucks, put my map/directions in a gallon zip lock bag.
With the lid flipped open it will hold a 32 oz insulated coffee mug nice, for those that eat 3 states before breakfast.
I have the BMW bag, it is almost useless, I need eyeglasses, suntan lotion, chap stick, aspirin, tums, flash light, magnifying glass, gloves, sun glasses, clears, money, coffee/drink and snacks all within easy reach at 80mph.
(I love my bike and don't want to stop/get off for things)
Rock
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 9:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

There was a post not long ago from someone that uses Wolfman tank panniers with the strap under the riders saddle so the bags fall between rider and passangers legs........................
Looks like a good solution for extra packing space...
I'm thinking about getting a set for our trip to Maine this summer.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
I am taking a long two up trip and need all the storage space I can get. I have the little BMW tank bag and was wondering if anyone has used any of the taller tank bags such as the Cortech 21 liter tank bag. Would a tall bag interfere with handlebars?
What tank bags do you use on the LT?
Thanks
P.S. Just ordered a tail bag from Mags Bags.
I had an RKA tank bag, but it was a little small, and the worst thing about it was that everything shifted down toward the rider, and if you opened it even a little while moving things fell out. I lost multiple items that way, even the rain cover.

When the Chicane tank bags were shown the first time at CCR, I bought the LT one, absolutely loved it! Perfect fit, things did not fall out, and the rain cover is in the zipper pouch on front of it, and attached so you cannot lose it. I have even put the cover on while riding a couple times. I think that one is the best LT tank bag made. I did not have any interference problems with the handle bars at all.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Chicane

which chicane bag did you use

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:11 am

Chicane Top Case Bag a must!

Buy your self a Chicane top case bag. It takes advantage of all the room at the top of the case up above the opening. The BMW bags don't hold nearly as much. I find I can get ALL of my clothes for four days riding, 1 pr. jeans, 4 shirts, 4 Tee shirts, 4 sets of drawers, 4 prs of sox, fleece pull over, 1 pr shorts, 1 bathing suit inside the top case along with my lap top, maps, extra batteries, sunscreen, phone, all the chargers and stuff. Side bags hold rain gear, extra gloves, tools repair parts, electric vest, shoes (I wear size 13EEE) and camera lens etc. On cross country trips I pack another bag that rides on the back seat. Everything in it is also in a plastic garbage bag so it stays dry. Camera, I-Pod, sunglasses, reading glasses, extra keys, money for tolls, etc all go into Chicane tank bag. At stops I take the small Chicane off the bike with me.

Carl
PATTI 2002 K12000LTC Toscanna Green
NO NAME 1993 FXDWG Red/Dk Red
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
which chicane bag did you use
The tank bag specifically designed for the LT.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

I have both the tank and top case Chicane bags and haven't found anything to like better. They are functional, hold a ton of stuff, compliment the great bike that the LT is, offer instant rain protection, and are priced in the ball park. Take a look at them.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:57 pm

Another vote for the Chicane LT bag. I had the RKA and hated it, bad design everything fell out of it. The Chicane does touch the bars at lock but no problems with the horn. The quality is tops! I am going to power mine. I wish they offered that option from the factory.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Done

I ordered the Chicane tank bag EX for the LT from Sierra this morning.

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #14 of 15 Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:04 pm

One more vote for the Chicane LT tank bag - it is everything they say it is.
post #15 of 15 Old May 2nd, 2006, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Got the bag

and having a heck of a time strapping it down so I finally used the rear strap on the rear and use a bungee cord on the front. The front strap gave me fits . The bag is BIG and will interfere a little in full steering lock situations but I will deal with that.

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in