Evaporative cooling vests - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

Cool Evaporative cooling vests

I plan on buying a TechNiche evaporative cooling vest for use in hot, dry climates. I have already made the decision on TechNiche and evaporative cooling versus phase change but need help making two choices and would appreciate comments. First, on a basic vest versus vest with zip-on zip-off sleeves. I just noticed the removable sleeve option on their website. Seems to me the more body area you cool the better. Second, they offer a choice of a typical open v-neck or a high collar. TechNiche states the "high collar w/hook & loop neck closure for additional cooling relief and sun protection, handy front pockets, and zipper closure; designed especially for bikers". This is the first I have seen of the high collar design. Any experience out there with the different sleeve and collar designs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 31st, 2006, 4:40 pm

Cooling

If it works for you, cool.
But I think there is a fundamental flaw in using evaporative cooling on a motorcycle; it can't work if the garment is underneath armor.
Evaporative cooling works best when water/moisture/vapor is whiked away as fast as possible.
I learned this trick when I was in Desert Storm: wrap a water bottle in a soaked cloth and drive as fast as you can. The temps in Saudi Arabia when I arrived in the Gulf were around 135 in July 1990.
Using this method, I was able to bring the water down from about 110 to a respectable mid 70's.
6-6-1 has produced an evaporative cooling collar called the Core Cooler, kind of like a balaclava, that will cool for up to 5 days on a single soaking.
SixSixOne
$50.00
I haven't read any personal accounts yet on it, but 661 claims to have worked on it for 2 years.
I am currently working on a Thermal Eletric Cooling closed loop fluid device that is designed to be worn under garments and in theory should work much better than evaporative or phase change cooling graments.
I have the protype mostly completed; I just have to install it in a vest and will begin testing it.
Then, it's of to the patent office to see if someone else has beat me to it.
post #3 of 9 Old May 31st, 2006, 5:01 pm

This time last year I had just completed my 48++ that included a full day on the slabs in AZ, CA, NV and UT. Temperatures were never below 104 and spent most of the day around 111. I hadn't packed my vest but found I was very satisfied with a long sleeve cotton tee shirt soaked down. I wore it over a skin-tight UnderArmor shirt and under my First Gear Kilamanjaro jacket. I opened the cuffs and the back but kept about every other vent closed. Early in the day (the 104-108 part of it) I was almost chilled, seriously. I think the longer sleeves were responsible for most of the cooling. It made me a believer.

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2003 Titan Silver LTC (Angel-returned to the heavens)
2000 Basalt LTC (Down for the count)
Kansas City, MO 64153

post #4 of 9 Old May 31st, 2006, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrt2
If it works for you, cool.
But I think there is a fundamental flaw in using evaporative cooling on a motorcycle; it can't work if the garment is underneath armor.
Evaporative cooling works best when water/moisture/vapor is whiked away as fast as possible.
I learned this trick when I was in Desert Storm: wrap a water bottle in a soaked cloth and drive as fast as you can. The temps in Saudi Arabia when I arrived in the Gulf were around 135 in July 1990.
Using this method, I was able to bring the water down from about 110 to a respectable mid 70's.
6-6-1 has produced an evaporative cooling collar called the Core Cooler, kind of like a balaclava, that will cool for up to 5 days on a single soaking.
SixSixOne
$50.00
I haven't read any personal accounts yet on it, but 661 claims to have worked on it for 2 years.
I am currently working on a Thermal Eletric Cooling closed loop fluid device that is designed to be worn under garments and in theory should work much better than evaporative or phase change cooling graments.
I have the protype mostly completed; I just have to install it in a vest and will begin testing it.

Interesting you comment on it. I just ordered one yesterday. It should be here by the end of the week so I would be able to try it out.
But know you got my attention with your eletrical vest... can you give us any idea how it works?

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old May 31st, 2006, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatanner
This time last year I had just completed my 48++ that included a full day on the slabs in AZ, CA, NV and UT. Temperatures were never below 104 and spent most of the day around 111. I hadn't packed my vest but found I was very satisfied with a long sleeve cotton tee shirt soaked down. I wore it over a skin-tight UnderArmor shirt and under my First Gear Kilamanjaro jacket. I opened the cuffs and the back but kept about every other vent closed. Early in the day (the 104-108 part of it) I was almost chilled, seriously. I think the longer sleeves were responsible for most of the cooling. It made me a believer.
I'm assuming you are using the Cool Underarmour (for summer). I have the Hot one and I'm very happy with it, but I never tought about using the cool one since I was under the impressino that it will not work well under a jacket.
I'm amazing that your long sleeve shirt will keep wet for a day long. I try it once, only that was using the wet long sleeve directly over my skin and under my jacket. It dryes out in about 30 to 40 minutes. Would you think that the Underarmour will do the diference?

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #6 of 9 Old May 31st, 2006, 6:19 pm

Both my wife and I tried those evaporative cooling vests last year going to Colorado and then on to the BMWMOA ralley in Lima Ohio.
Out west they work pretty good but when you get to where there is humidity
it is like wearing a wet diaper.
My wife had the one with the collar on it and did not like it, I cut it off.
In Lima Ohio we bought a new one. The collar blocks some of the air that you need for cooling, I think the sleeves would block air also.
post #7 of 9 Old May 31st, 2006, 10:31 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrt2
Sounds good, keep us infomed. You might also be able to warm the fluid for use in winter conditions.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 2:38 am

As one who lives in the desert I purchased a Joe Rocket cooling vest late last summer/early fall. So I really did not get to test it out for efficiency. Years ago we used to take a long sleeve thermal underwear top and soak it then wring it out. Put a jacket on over it and zip it up about halfway. Nowadays with the neat riding jackets that have all of the cooling vents it would circulate better. You could carry a one or two gallon plastic ziplock bag and stop at the local store and buy a liter of cold water put your vest or thermal top in the bag and pour in the water. Let it soak up then ring it out and you are good to go.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 9:25 am

I have sworn off the following materials in my motorcycling wardrobe:

Cotton, wool, vinyl and leather. (except for boots and gloves, and I still think thin, high quality Merlino wool socks can't be beat under any conditions)

Why? Because modern polyester microfiber and aramide variants have rendered them virtually obsolete. They are "old school" and just about completely useless, especially in hot weather.

My wife and I both use long sleeve form fitting white (polyester) Under Armour shirts and briefs. Unless you have a perfect body don't even think of being seen in public in this stuff. Keep your jacket on in public, trust me on this one.

Cooling vests without sleeves or collars (no chafing or binding).

Evaporative cooling neck wraps. (polyester)

Armored BMW Venting Machine (polyamide) jackets and pants. Insanely expensive, but have you priced out a complete skin graft job recently?
Why not Kevlar? It degrades RAPIDLY under exposure to UV radiation and something the manufacturers of Kevlar gear never mention.

KonTour Seats (perforated polyester ultra microfiber) soaked in water. The seat has a waterproofing barrier inside to keep the foam from getting wet.

We've ridden all day long in temperatures well over 100F without ever feeling uncomfortable. Most importantly this setup keeps you from getting dehydrated. We still drink lots of water, but instead of having to drink every 20 minutes we go an hour with no problem. We're good for about 2 - 3 hours before re-wetting the gear.

The cooling gear gets stored inside a small heavy duty dry bag (the kind river rafters use) full of water, ready for duty as the temps soar. Trying to thoroughly soak down the vest and collars with a water bottle by the side of the road is a joke...

Stay cool!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 1st, 2006 at 9:41 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in