Question about matching gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Question about matching gear

I think I know the answer, but I need to ask anyways.

To get the perfect size fit, I can't find a company that makes the "perfect" pants matched with the "perfect" jacket. What I mean by perfect, is, of course, size, but also color, features, blah blah blah. I know some people care about the look of the overall ensemble, I'm not one of those.

My perfect combination are the pants from one company, and the jacket from another. I do not use the jacket/pants zipper cause when I remove the jacket, I've got to reach back to unzip. But even they look like there is a standard technology there, but I'm not sure. For example, the BMW Rally pants fit like a dream. The jacket does not.

Anyways, as long it's not a hideous color match (OK, I do have my limits for fashion), does anyone see anything wrong in buying pants from one brand, and the jacket from another? Can you think of any disadvantage at all?

I'm looking for something for 3 seasons. I have a mesh jacket for summer.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

On my fourth RT, a 2011 beast with all the cool stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 12:26 pm

Re: Question about matching gear

Nope, not an issue within reason. Of course it depends on the color and fabric.

I wear a BMW Neon Yellow Airshell Jacket with Rev'it Black Tornado pant during the summer!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 2:01 pm

Wink Re: Question about matching gear

Not a problem! I mix & match all the time depending on the ride & weather. The only possible problem is if you desire to connect the pants to the jacket via the zipper and they do not match up. It is pretty standard to have the heavy duty YKK zippers for the connection, but they can go from either side, depending on who makes them. Also the length may be a little different.

Asthetics is another issue that you may or may not be concerned with. I'm not usually. just protection!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

I figure if I get black pants, it'll be aesthetically acceptable to most eyes with just about any color jacket.

I'm slightly concerned about the zipper connection, but I've only used it a few times. Bathroom breaks of the #2 variety just take too much time.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

On my fourth RT, a 2011 beast with all the cool stuff.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 3:29 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I wear Olympia Pants year round with a Vanson Max Air jacket in the summer & Tour Master for colder temps. My wife has the same pants & summer Jacket but does have an Olympia Jacket for cold weather.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 5:32 pm

Guys, are we really having this conversation?

If 'she' doesn't tell me to go change then it must look ok. This works when going to the opera then why not when riding?

Larry
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2013, 6:17 pm

I'd bet a lot who've been riding for years have a mix of their favorite stuff.

Mine includes 3 pair of textile pants from RevIt and First Gear, mesh jackets from Olympia, RevIt and another, my RevIt Scirocco jacket for 3 seasons, and leathers that include traditional street black stuff and track gear. More gloves than I should admit to owning and a few sets of boots.

Thinking of upgrading to one of the new GoreTex laminates for comfort and convenience but I've got no real complaints about what I use now..especially every time I think about how bad stuff was when I learned to ride 50 years ago in snow country. Today's stuff spoils us..
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Yep, I mix and match from several manufacturers with the only constant is light grey and yellow colors. Winter jacket is Klim, Summer is Tourmaster, Aerostich and Firstgear pants, and gloves by BMW, Olympia, Tourmaster, and Icon. It's really about whatever fits and meets my functional needs.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 27th, 2013, 11:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Vendors like Aerostich and Motoport have good sizing guides and tools, and do customizations for that 'perfect' fit.

http://www.aerostich.com/
http://www.motoport.com/

Motor On ,/'

post #10 of 12 Old Oct 27th, 2013, 7:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Of course, then there are those of us that really violate all the rules and mix leather with textile (i.e. love my textile riding pants, but occasionally go old school and wear my old Harley leather jacket that I still LOVE).

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 12 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 1:40 am

Oh no you didn't! Do NOT mix leather and textile, that's my only rule. ..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 3:28 pm

You lose! I'm another.
But I'm more likely to be using a textile jacket with leather pants than the reverse. After all, one set of black pants looks pretty much like any other..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in