anti-fog - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Apr 29th, 2013, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

anti-fog

Looking for advice/comments on products to stop a full face helmet face shield from fogging in the rain. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Apr 29th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Re: anti-fog

Seriously, where have you been for the last decade brother? " PINLOCK" final word on fogging. Google it.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 R1100RT.
post #3 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2013, 12:07 am

Re: anti-fog Two Words

Pinlock Distortion

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2013, 8:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: anti-fog Two Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Pinlock Distortion
Sorry, but I disagree! I have no problems with distortions at all.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 16 Old May 1st, 2013, 7:09 am

you wouldn't disagree once the distortion was removed. :-))

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 16 Old May 1st, 2013, 8:29 am

My Shoei helmet has a little tab over on the side with three positions, locked, neutral and cracked. When I pull up to a light and won't be moving, if the shield starts to fog up I just move the tab to crack and it will clear in a few seconds.

The problem I can't seem to solve will not be helped with a pinlock, I can't keep my stupid glasses from fogging up.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #7 of 16 Old May 2nd, 2013, 4:06 am

I agree on the PINLOCK solution. I have ridden in some pretty cold conditions here in Ohio, and while the area around the PNLOCK fogs, the PINLOCK section does not.

Interesting comment about the distortion (because I never put 2 and 2 together). When my visor is fully closed, I don't really notice it. However, when I open it just one "click", my speedo gets all funky, LOL. (nothing terrible)...

I have a Nolan N90...

2011 BMW R1200RT - currently ~24k miles; bought new 2/23/12
2007 Honda Rebel - 4,588 learning miles...she served me well...

BMW MOA 188089

post #8 of 16 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 12:30 pm

I went to the IMS in November and got ‘suckered’ into buying anti-fog coating stuff for my glasses. Of course I bought this knowing full well that it would not work so I was hardly suckered. Instead I bought it for what it does do, which is make my glasses so crystal clear - nothing short of amazing.

I got what I wanted so I am happy with the purchase, but the nagging question lingers in my head: how does this stuff work at the show but not in real life? He did the vaporizer demonstration and sure enough the untreated lens fogged up and the treated one did not, but in the real world my glasses are still fogging up just the same. Just fishing out there to see if anyone has a reasonable, and/or scientific explanation for why this is, I have theories but just wondering if there is anyone that actually knows.

Oh, and happy Festivus, a donation has been made in your honor to The Human Fund – Money for People.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #9 of 16 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 12:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

EK Ekcessories Cat Crap Anti-Fog Lens Cleaner

CAT CRAP Anti-Fog Lens Cleaner - Eastern Mountain Sports

Amazon.com : Cat Crap : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #10 of 16 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 2:18 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I use the Pinlock in the Spring, Summer & Fall on my Shoei. The little distortion doesn't bother me one little bit day or night .During the winter months I switch helmets to my Scorpion with an electric heated visor. For my glasses I pull them down away from my face a little bit. They get more air between my body heat & the lens & un fog much quicker after a stop.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #11 of 16 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 3:14 pm

Pinlock.No Distortion here!

Fog-Tech Moto Solutions

This stuff works. I use it skiing and on my glasses riding with a Pinlock shield....Shoei RF1100

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #12 of 16 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntreNous View Post
I agree on the PINLOCK solution. I have ridden in some pretty cold conditions here in Ohio, and while the area around the PNLOCK fogs, the PINLOCK section does not.

Interesting comment about the distortion (because I never put 2 and 2 together). When my visor is fully closed, I don't really notice it. However, when I open it just one "click", my speedo gets all funky, LOL. (nothing terrible)...

I have a Nolan N90...

Ok, this is a very disturbing comment, please no pictures. And with just one click you say? I couldn't resist.

Larry
2012 RT Midnight blue.
post #13 of 16 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 10:33 pm

I see lots of fun here. I take my one year used face shield and add one of these. Generally good for two winters tops. They scuff easily if you wipe with anything but the softest stuff for cleaning inside.
But, work just like or better that a pin liner because a careful fit is done by you not some pins. Does not break loose when done correctly. Hold it up to the outside of the shield on the helmet before you install it and tape the edges so you know where you want it. Not where the shield contacts the helmet seal.

Fog City Pro Shield Insert - Motorcycle Superstore

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #14 of 16 Old Dec 24th, 2014, 3:16 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntreNous View Post

I agree totally with the comments about Pinlock. It works, period.

I have never noticed any distortion, though it is extremely rare that I have the visor open. The only thing at the first stop open the bottom of the Pinlock does go through the speedo, yet I use the GPS for my speed control. (That is another issue regarding the size of the numbers on an RT!)

Regarding glasses - I wear them the whole time, and if you invest in an anti-fog coating when you buy the glasses it might help.

I wear a Shoei Multitech, and previously a Shoei Raid II.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #15 of 16 Old Dec 25th, 2014, 10:31 am

I'll add to this old post. On another forum a guy was complaining the his Pinlock was just too distorted that he removed it and was very disappointed. Then someone said- wait for it- " Did you remove the protective coating that comes on both sides of the insert"? The orig poster never replied!

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #16 of 16 Old Jan 5th, 2015, 3:19 pm

I'd also recommend the Fog City Shield, I have used them for around 10 years, no distortion and cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in