Hot gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2013, 9:46 am Thread Starter

Hot gear

I'm looking to find out what is the best hot weather jacket & pants. I know I might be opening a can a worms here with all kinds of different results. You folks that live and ride in the Arizona summer know what I mean by hot weather gear. Air Flow and lots of it!

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:22 am

Re: Hot gear

I personally use an evap cooling vest. Works great for me, even when it is 117 and warps the dash and shuts off the disc player due to overheating. Several of my club members use
http://ldcomfort.com/store/ and one of my members that does ALOT of riding just uses the LD comfort undergarments plus his regular gear. Just opens up all of the vents and pours a glass of water down each sleeve when needed. Hope that helps.
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2013, 2:21 pm

I commute in my work clothes which means dress slacks and a dress shirt. I have found that the long-sleeved shirt under a mesh jacket works better than a short-sleeved shirt. If you will be moving constantly (or almost) you can probably get away with something other than mesh but if you will be stuck in bumper to bumper on the freeway at rush hour mesh will be a necessity.

I have used a couple pieces of heat-out gear and it seems to work, but changing before and after work just doesn't work for me, so I only use that for leisure rides at 110+.

Above all, stick with light colors for all gear in order to make sure that you don't add any heat through intense sunlight being converted to heat on black or dark colored gear.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2013, 7:32 pm

On top, Chilly Towel by Frog Togs. Saved my ass when it was hotter than heck on Prince Edward Island - sun beating down on me all day - and I had started to feel very lightheaded. It worked. I think a cooling vest might be in my future....

I also was wearing Kevlar jeans and they were crazy hot. I also see some one weave mesh pants in my future....

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

Last edited by rowie; Apr 9th, 2013 at 7:40 pm.
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:27 pm

There's more than one kind of hot.
There is hot that you want to ride without a jacket. This is heat index in the NOAA Danger zone, about 105
Having vented/mesh gear can help deal with this. Stay hydrated if on a long ride. A hydration pack lets you continually sip as you go. Lighter colors are better, and if you're moving and not stuck in traffic, take advantage of evaporative cooling. Cooling vests, bandanas, neck wraps etc. Some riders report that cooling vests work well enough in vented jackets and dry out too quickly under mesh jackets.

Then there is hot hot, so hot that vented/mesh gear only makes you hotter. This is heat index in the Extreme zone. For this you should limit how much exposure to the heat you are getting. You may have read about recommendations to cover up if going through Death Valley. It can actually be cooler inside your jacket than outside. Evaporative cooling still works, but may not work very long. Stay hydrated.

My recommendation for riding pants is to find something that breathes or vents. Mesh lets the heat from the engine and exhaust get to your legs.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2013, 9:56 am

the only thing about using mesh with the evap vest is that they dry out pretty fast. Using a non mesh jacket with the vents open allows for longer times without having to re wet the vest. +1 on the light colors. my mesh jacket is black (DUH!). Dont even know why anyone would make a black mesh anything, or why I was stupid enough to buy one.
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:10 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I like the VANSON MESH with OLYMPIA AIRGLIDE pants ( silver of course). They work well in the Texas heat.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2013, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Thank you for all the good info, as you know knowledge saves hides and money why reinvent the wheel!. I just put in a order for LD Comfort shorts and the long sleeve turtleneck mock and while I was at it I purchased a purchased tracker air pants and a wetting vest on sale at leather up.com. With your kind help I think I'm set for summer in Missouri.
Steve

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasteve
Thank you for all the good info, as you know knowledge saves hides and money why reinvent the wheel!. I just put in a order for LD Comfort shorts and the long sleeve turtleneck mock and while I was at it I purchased a purchased tracker air pants and a wetting vest on sale at leather up.com. With your kind help I think I'm set for summer in Missouri.
Steve
you may not like the long sleeve so be sure to get a short sleeve LD shirt (I got the short sleeve shirt and the sleeve only option and DO NOT like the sleeves as they dry out to fast),
BTW get a smaller shirt, ie: if you are a loose xl get the large. On the shirt it seems to me one size smaller is better, they stretch a bunch when you wet them. My wifes shirt is a small & I often wear it when on long road trips before laundry time.
The underpants are the BEST, keep everything tucked in nice & dry!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2013, 7:53 pm

last year I finally bought a jacket IO believe gives me good protection om hot wx, stretch kevlar from Motoport. For years I used a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket which kept me cooler than no jacket and gave more protection than no jacket.

the open weave of the stretch kevlar is hotter than the Joe Rocket, but allows more air to flow across me when in motion. But, in motion with 100+F across me isn't better than less air across mein the Joe Rocket. Next time around tighter waeve kevlar.

I've got the pants and liners on order for this year. If I can fit it into my budget Eskimo!! It will be interesting to see if I'll be cooler with the Eskimo with a eind breaker over the vest or a winf braker over the kevlar jacket?

Last year I bought a pair of air out TRQ boots, gortex boots are way tooo hot. To get the cooling effect of the perferations I have to stick the front on my boots out, other wise the tupper ware blocks air flow.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2013, 11:10 pm

I can't say enough about the Olympia Mesh Tech jacket and pants. They vent a ton of air and feel great over a synthetic shirt.

But once the temp gets over 100 you're going to need something more. And for me that's crushed ice in the helmet. You'll feel 20 degrees cooler and it will keep you from getting heat rash on your scalp (don't ask how I know about that).

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2013, 11:55 pm

I've used a Veskimo cooling vest for the past five summers.
http://www.veskimo.com/
Used evaporative and phase-change vests before that.
The Veskimo eliminated the issue of whether it's too hot to ride.
Use the search tool, above, for "Veskimo" to see all the previous posts
on this site, the K1600 site, and the ADVRider forums.
I use an Olympia mesh jacket,
and add a Windstopper or Goretex liner over the Veskimo
to maintain the microclimate cooling layer against the body.
Highest temp I've encountered has been 102 degrees.
Consistent cooling over several hours.
post #13 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2013, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
I've used a Veskimo cooling vest for the past five summers.
http://www.veskimo.com/
Used evaporative and phase-change vests before that.
The Veskimo eliminated the issue of whether it's too hot to ride.
Use the search tool, above, for "Veskimo" to see all the previous posts
on this site, the K1600 site, and the ADVRider forums.
I use an Olympia mesh jacket,
and add a Windstopper or Goretex liner over the Veskimo
to maintain the microclimate cooling layer against the body.
Highest temp I've encountered has been 102 degrees.
Consistent cooling over several hours.
I ride all summer long from Vegas to Orange County California sometimes 3-4 times a month. I would not even consider it without my Veskimo. I drilled a hole in the bottom of my top case and run the connecter hose out the bottom. Nothing like having 56 degree water circulating around your torso when it is 100+ degrees outside. And yes, you do want a jacket that keeps the cool in and the hot out.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #14 of 14 Old May 4th, 2013, 3:58 pm

An evap vest under a mesh jacket (Hyperkewl and Olympia) has been my mainstay for outwest. However, when the humidity is high, such as what we get here in PA, the evap vest doesn't work all that well.

Sort of cooling beanie for your skull. Even a cotton handkerchief soaked in water can make a big difference.

Most important is that you stay hydrated. If you wait until you're thirsty, you've gone too far. Any of the bladder systems that are out there with a hose and bite valve can make all the difference. It may take some practice threading the hose to your mouth, but it's worth it.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in