Harley style boots vs touring / street riding boots - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Mar 29th, 2013, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Harley style boots vs touring / street riding boots

I was looking at getting some Teknic boots (cheap I know) to wear when riding as opposed to my big logger harley type boots. Is there a comfort difference that is substantial or is it just a bunch of hooplah?

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:48 am

Re: Harley style boots vs touring / street riding boots

I have a pair of Tourmaster Solution 2.0 boots. They are good and comfortable when off the mtorcycle which is important to me.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #3 of 30 Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 1:00 pm

Ean, I think the boots designed more specifically for motorcycling tend to be more functional and more protective than the logger boot you mentioned. The soles are usually more flexible and the uppers are designed w/ reinforcements for the shifter, as well as better ankle support and protection. Level of comfort is most likely relative to each wearer. It seems the harley style has more to do w/ making a particular fashion statement, though I can see the pull-on shafts being easier to get in and out, as opposed to the street/touring boot with a shaft that fits snug, therefore they will often have zippers to get in and out of. Boots with snug fitting shafts are likely to be hotter in summertime. The "biker" boot usually has more of a heel and can have more pronounced shank, while the other tends to have a flatter sole. I bought some boots designed more for riding, and I did find them to be fairly comfortable for walking around in, though they weren't ideal for trekking several miles through the Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks in New Mexico. Personally, I like wearing my boots when I ride, but that's not P.C. with the AGATT crowd.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing some hunting, and found a couple of pairs that I think would work well, but I don't know.... 1 pair is the Dainese Nighthawk?, the other is the BMW All Around boot.

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #5 of 30 Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 1:21 pm

I can't remember which one they were, but my wife tried on one of BMW's boots when we were in NM. They supposedly make a pretty good boot, but she didn't want to give the $400 price. Now, if we could have got them in a full-quill ostrich.....

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 30 Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll pay good money for almost anything as long as it fulfills it's function better than stuff that's cheaper. I have logger boots, made by Chippewa that I paid $294.00 for. Best boots I've ever owned.

Now to find motorcycle / touring specific boots to replace them on the motorcycle.

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #7 of 30 Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 2:31 pm

Hands down the best motorcycle touring boots around.

https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=68

MSF Ridercoach #25680 since 1992

motorcycling is for everybody, but not everybody is for motorcycling
post #8 of 30 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_r6
Hands down the best motorcycle touring boots around.

https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=68
How are they for walking around off the bike?

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 30 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am Thread Starter

I think I've decided to give the Dainese Nighthawk boots a go. I'll be ordering them in a couple of weeks.

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #10 of 30 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Actually very good. I have a fellow Ridercoach that wears them for 12 hours straight on asphalt.

post #11 of 30 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:50 pm
cwo

Being a short guy, I need the thicker soles to flat foot the LT. The Harley type boots helped me out on that end..... but these boots are (not) made for walkin.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #12 of 30 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
Being a short guy, I need the thicker soles to flat foot the LT. The Harley type boots helped me out on that end..... but these boots are (not) made for walkin.

Chris Ogle

Not sure what shoe size you got but call Helimot and see what they have because I know Frey-Daytona boots has a 1" sole risers for women.

post #13 of 30 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:48 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Helimot also MAKES great gloves (and leather riding suits - although not very LT-esque).

https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/sh...orcycle+Gloves

Helmut and Linda are great folks and stand behind everything they sell, too.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #14 of 30 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 2:31 am

Garage

I have a set of now 4 year old Daytonas. They are certainly not cheap, but they have held out extremely well, and with the miniscule maintenance I do on them still look good.

The next set of boots I buy, will be from the Daytona stable. Certainly recommend them.

BTW I the boots are size 49 European.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #15 of 30 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 8:42 pm

last year I went with the Dainese TRQ race out air and D-WP, one for summer riding the other for rainy days and cooler wx. fortunately they were an excellent fit for my feet, nice and snug with out pinching any where. After breaking in, they are surprisingly comfortable to walk around in.

A while ago I read a post here from a rider who said he wanted the best ankle and shin pr4otection because his bones do not heal as fast as they used to. And he figured the cost for better protection was less than his medical deductable. Made sense to me.

The only problem is that when I ride into areas where it might rain longer that the passing thunder storm cells here, packing the extra pair of boots takes up a lot of room in the top case.because neither pair is collapsable. Fitting a pair in a side case is challenging.

Some day we will have dehidrated rain boots, just add water and yer all set to go.

Best from Tucson
bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #16 of 30 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:16 pm

I am in the market for boots. I have been wearing the BMW All-Around for 4 years and they have served me well, but in the real world if you were to go down, they just do not provide enough protection.

I have decided I want a race style Torsion control system that protects your ankle and foot from being torqued, twisted and contorted. I would prefer a Gore-Tex boot as well.

there is one boot I have found that fits the bill it is the BMW Sport-DRY
I believe the boot is made for BMW by TCX.

http://s224.photobucket.com/user/swa...7318e.jpg.html

BMW SportDry Motorcycle Boots - Product Description
• Sporty leather boot with replaceable side and heel sliders.
• Uppers: solid cowhide leather (2.2 mm), artificial leather at back on shaft.
• Waterproof, windproof and with the breathability of GORE-TEX® membrane.
• Torsion Control System (TCS) (torsion-resistant guard for the ankle).
• Anatomically moulded shin guard.
• Concealed toecap.
• Shock absorber at heel.
• Gearshift-lever pad soft polyurethane, sewn on.
• Zipper along inside of shaft, large Velcro on calf for adjusting to a neat fit.
• Stretch zones at the instep and the heel.
• Reflective patches on left and right of heel.
• Oil- and fuel-resistant rubber treaded sole.
• Removable insole, washable.
• Insole with moisture-conducting, anti-bacterial Cambrelle lining.
• Perforated, breathable mesh liner in the shaft.
• Large BMW Motorrad application on the shin guard.

As a second choice I would probably go with the Sidi ST Goretex if I can find a pair.

I just feel like I don't want my nose facing forward and my feet facing backward after a git-off!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #17 of 30 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:24 pm

I've been wearing Sidi motorcycle boots for over a decade and am very pleased with them. However, I only wear them when I'm out on the BMW, not on the HD. Since the angle of my feet is different between the two bikes, I use different boots.

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/splash....i&macro=2&id=2

Jim
IBA 31981

2005 BMW K1200LT
2006 HD FLHRCI
post #18 of 30 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 6:49 am

I had cruiser style boots at first, not very comfortable at all when off the bike. I searched around and found Sidi boots, and bought a pair. Amazing comfort, off and on the bike! I walked out of the store with them on, did not need a break in period, rode them over 100,000 miles, and through a lot of heavy rain on my cross country trips, feet never got wet.

The model I had was the "City", seems they are no longer in Sidi's line up, but they were closest to the current "On Road" boots.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #19 of 30 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 7:09 am

I have a pair of these boots made by a company called Bates. They are comfortable for all day wear and they don't look goofy when you are out after riding.

Gerhard

post #20 of 30 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 7:59 am

I recently replaced my Sidi Slash boots that I wear when teaching classes with these Alpinestars S-MX 1 boots. Very comfortable riding and walking, and you can pop off the toe sliders to make the boots less dorky looking if you wish. They are as comfortable as the Sidi boots, which is important when walking all over a MSF range setup in 100+ temperatures.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #21 of 30 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 6:32 pm

I went from the BMW gortex boot to the TRQs.

A few months after getting them I pulled into a state park rest area. Before entering the area I stopped on the paved road and saw that the road and large parking area was hard dirt with gravel on top of it with a lot of dirt showing through.

I slowly entered the area, had a strange sensation and discovered I was on the ground with my right leg and foot under my LT.

There was a drop from the paved road to the dirt road which looked smooth only because 2-4 inches of half inch gravel fulled in the gap. My front tire dug a nice straight furrow for a ways before sliding sideways.

My foot was toe to the ground with my LT partially resting on my heal. The gravel was deep enough that the tip over wing never hit the underlying hard dirt.

There is a small gash in the front of my boot from the boot smashing into the gravel and hitting the dirt.

I slightly skinned my knee, looked as if I sprained my pinky (it was more than a sprain since that finger now flairs outward from the others), nothing happened to my foot. My ankle didn't rotate, my heal was protected, my toes were protected, and the boot's sole took all of the LT's partial weight.

There was enough weight on my boot to make extricating my foot very difficult.

I don't know if the BMW boot would have provided the same protection? But, I'm sure glad I switched to these boots for summer riding, especially with temps over 100F. The BMW gortex boots would have been way to HOT. So, I would have been warring mil surplus Desert Storm boots.

Best from Tucson
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRQRaceOut.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	38132  

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #22 of 30 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I went from the BMW gortex boot to the TRQs.

A few months after getting them I pulled into a state park rest area. Before entering the area I stopped on the paved road and saw that the road and large parking area was hard dirt with gravel on top of it with a lot of dirt showing through.

I slowly entered the area, had a strange sensation and discovered I was on the ground with my right leg and foot under my LT.

There was a drop from the paved road to the dirt road which looked smooth only because 2-4 inches of half inch gravel fulled in the gap. My front tire dug a nice straight furrow for a ways before sliding sideways.

My foot was toe to the ground with my LT partially resting on my heal. The gravel was deep enough that the tip over wing never hit the underlying hard dirt.

There is a small gash in the front of my boot from the boot smashing into the gravel and hitting the dirt.

I slightly skinned my knee, looked as if I sprained my pinky (it was more than a sprain since that finger now flairs outward from the others), nothing happened to my foot. My ankle didn't rotate, my heal was protected, my toes were protected, and the boot's sole took all of the LT's partial weight.

There was enough weight on my boot to make extricating my foot very difficult.

I don't know if the BMW boot would have provided the same protection? But, I'm sure glad I switched to these boots for summer riding, especially with temps over 100F. The BMW gortex boots would have been way to HOT. So, I would have been warring mil surplus Desert Storm boots.

Best from Tucson
Bob
I was also looking at TRQ's, but I think the Sidi or BMW Sport -Dry may be very good too.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #23 of 30 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 7:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess more of what I'm looking for info wise is if the real touring boots are significantly more comfortable than a pair of work boots when on the bike. I've narrowed down the model of boot is like. It's between the Dainese Nighthawk, and Dainese Fulcrum. But I just want to make sure that the comfort is there for 250-300

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #24 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2013, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker46514
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess more of what I'm looking for info wise is if the real touring boots are significantly more comfortable than a pair of work boots when on the bike. I've narrowed down the model of boot is like. It's between the Dainese Nighthawk, and Dainese Fulcrum. But I just want to make sure that the comfort is there for 250-300
Well......the answer to that question would be..........Yes................

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #25 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2013, 11:49 am

Quote:
For years I wore Doc Martins. I found them comfortable on and off the bike, but not waterproof. Then, something changed with the production, I believe they stopped making them in England, They no longer worked for me, didn't last as long and the leather was thinner. I switched to Red Wings. They were a good comfortable boot, but the sole only lasted about six months. Again, not water proof, so rain meant wet feet and a fairly long drying out period.

Last June, I bought the Dainese Nighthawks. They are a bit more tight in the toes than the other boots I wore, but they break in fairly quickly. You might want to go a size larger than normal, they are a fairly narrow boot. As far as comfort goes, I haven't noticed a large difference on the bike, other than rain. Then they are far more comfortable since my feet stay dry. I do live in the desert so I don't see rain often, unless I am touring. They are a little warmer than Doc's, but I don't think significantly so. I have done up to 700 mile days, and walked up to 5 miles in them. Any walks over that I pack my hiking boots.

Hope that helps.

Dale

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #26 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Actual touring boots are definitely more comfortable when riding, imo. One thing to remember is true motorcycle boots are designed and made for motorcycle riding. Wearing non-motorcycle specific riding boots when riding can be a bad thing. Motorcycle riding boots serve as an integral part of protective gear. The leather is generally thicker and the rubber is made to withstand heat, which you'll get from the engine and the road. Spending a little more $$ is totally worth it!

Jim
IBA 31981

2005 BMW K1200LT
2006 HD FLHRCI
post #27 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2013, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'm stuck between the full height fulcrum, or the 3/4 nighthawk. They are identical other than height. A special thanks to desertlizard. Would you recommend the nighthawk comfort wise or are there more comfortable out there in your opinion. How long have yours lasted? (I'm referring to lifespan of the boot).

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #28 of 30 Old Apr 8th, 2013, 1:42 am

I only had access to 4 different boot makers this time. Out of the 4 the ones I bought fit the best.

When I tried on BMW boots only the gortex all year round boots fit; the other BMW boots we either too large or too small.

Moral of the story for me is that I'll only buy boots that I've tried on.

Bob

post #29 of 30 Old Apr 8th, 2013, 8:52 am

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I'm stuck between the full height fulcrum, or the 3/4 nighthawk. They are identical other than height. A special thanks to desertlizard. Would you recommend the nighthawk comfort wise or are there more comfortable out there in your opinion. How long have yours lasted? (I'm referring to lifespan of the boot).
I've been very happy with the Nighthawks both comfort wise and durability. I wear them nearly everyday (I don't have a car) and just leave them on all day at work. I can't compare to other motorcycle specific boots, since these are the first pair I bought. As far as durability I have now had them 10 months and so far so good. The soles are still in pretty good shape, and other than a few scuffs, they look good. That's actually pretty good for me, the Red Wings I had only lasted about 4 months. I got mine at Revzilla, they have a pretty good return policy, and have same pretty good videos on various brands and styles that I used quite a bit when I was looking. There are also a bunch of reviews for these boots as well as others.

Dale

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #30 of 30 Old Apr 9th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo

Chris Ogle

Chris,

Have your solution. I stopped by Helimot this afternoon and totally forgot they have these new Frey-Daytona boots.

https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=71

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in