Open face helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 1:16 am Thread Starter

Open face helmet

I have a 2012 RT with a stock windshield and I'm looking to get an open face helmet (Shoei RJ Platinum R) for when weather gets hot. It has been 20 years since I last rode a bike with an open face helmet and that was a goldwing and wind noise was never an issue. Since then I've owned mostly naked bikes and wore full face helmets.

Are any of you riding 2010+ RTs with an open face helmet? How is the wind noise? Do you need to wear earplugs to keep the noise tolerable?

Thanks for your input.

P Smity
2012 R1200RT
'07 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
'07 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 2:55 am

Re: Open face helmet

I own a 2011 RT.

In the cold Spring and Fall I wear a BMW System 6 modular helmet. It's very quiet.

In the sweltering Summer months I wear an Arai XD Ram open-face helmet. This helmet has a flip up face-sheild.
I found this helmet to be noisy compared to my full-faced BMW helmet. It's noisy as there is a huge gap to accommodate wearing glasses.

I just ordered the new Shoei J-Cruise open-faced helmet, with face-shield. This new for 2013 helmet, also has a drop-down sun visor.

I don't wear ear plugs, but other do.

I also have a SENA bluetooth system in mine.

There is really very little wind noise on an RT. Probably similar to your old wing.
post #3 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 4:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Smity
I have a 2012 RT with a stock windshield and I'm looking to get an open face helmet (Shoei RJ Platinum R) for when weather gets hot. It has been 20 years since I last rode a bike with an open face helmet and that was a goldwing and wind noise was never an issue. Since then I've owned mostly naked bikes and wore full face helmets.

Are any of you riding 2010+ RTs with an open face helmet? How is the wind noise? Do you need to wear earplugs to keep the noise tolerable?

Thanks for your input.
Unless it is below 40 degrees or a heavy rain I never use a face shield on my helmet. Especially on the RT and LT a face shield is really not necessary IMO. You would be amazed at the difference in the riding experience. AND the wind noise + any buffeting are gone. I use a Shoei helmet and "rec spec" sun glasses and the combination is fantastic. I also have a VTech wind screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.¯
Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by WillieC; Mar 6th, 2013 at 5:41 am.

post #4 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 8:03 am

FYI... and of course Your Actual Results may vary.... but...

My 3/4 helmets with full face shields are quieter than my Modular- full face helmets. Do not know why its noisier but I wear the flip-up Modular one all the time.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 9:55 am

Full face helmets are quiter with the shield up rather than down. I wonder if anyone can explain why
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 10:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

It's all about the sound reflecting up from the bike and bouncing around inside the helmet. Open the shield and the sound waves have a place to go. If you seal the bottom of the helmet better you will get less noise also. That is what adding a chin guard usually reduces the noise.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 1:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Mt Shoei Multitec shield was up but I had sun glasses on.
Beware!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEE.JPG
Views:	1437
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	37879  

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Mt Shoei Multitec shield was up but I had sun glasses on.
Beware!

Been there, done that - I always say "thank you sir may I have another".
I have been hit so hard on my Harley I actually thought I got shot with a BB gun.
Builds character ! But I hate it when a bee gets stuck inside the helmet

Riding with rec specs and no shield just feels too good and you sense so much more
on the ride. Kinda like not wearing a "cundum" if you get what I mean. But like I said cold wx, raining and long night time rides I put it on.

ramblings of an old fart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050503.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	37880   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050504.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	37881  

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.¯
Henry David Thoreau
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Adjusting the windscreen will modify or increase the wind noise automatically regardless of the year of RT you own or helmet you choose to wear. If not sufficient, you may wish to change your windscreen.

As for Shoei, if that is your question, I have 3 helmets, the RJ Platinum, the Mulitec and the RF1100. I choose to wear earplugs with all 3. Wind noise is least or appears to be least with the the RJ, noisiest is the Multitec. The comfort zone in all conditions is the fullface, it is relatively quiet (virtually no wind noise depending on windscreen height and ear plugs) with the added benefit of less fatigue than that of an open face due to its ability to minimize the effects of the sun or adverse weather, not to mention the benefit of additional safety.

If you do decide to go open face, Shoei is a quality choice.
post #10 of 17 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 5:11 pm

P. Smitty,

You may want to try a modular helmet. I have a Scorpion EXO900, I don't ride in the open configuration to often, but when I do wind noise is not a problem.

The wind noise is depends on how you have the windscreen adjusted.

Chris

Last edited by MontyRed2007; Mar 6th, 2013 at 5:17 pm.
post #11 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 1:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyRed2007
P. Smitty,

You may want to try a modular helmet. I have a Scorpion EXO900, I don't ride in the open configuration to often, but when I do wind noise is not a problem.

The wind noise is depends on how you have the windscreen adjusted.

Chris
Actually what I referred to as my current full face helmets are actually modular helmets. One is a Nolan N103 and the other a Shuberth C3. In extremely hot weather I'll open them at traffic lights for cooling or for short distance lower speed rides. Any use of a new open face will be limited to just the very hot weather as others have pointed out, flying critters are a hazard. Been riding for over 40 years and I have had the displeasure of taking a pheasant to the side of my helmet and a bumble bee up my right nostril. You can bet that after plugging my left nostril and blowing real hard, that bumble bee exited my nose just as fast as he entered. He hit my fuel tank wet and dead.

You know, after those memories I may have to rethink the open face helmet idea

P Smity
2012 R1200RT
'07 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
'07 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
post #12 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 2:06 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Smity
You know, after those memories I may have to rethink the open face helmet idea
If you had seen what happened to the chin bar of my helmet during my crash, you wouldn't ever even consider riding in an open face helmet.

Mine was a Schuberth C3 modular, and it completely gave itself up so that I could survive my crash. In other words, it did its job, quite well.

It quite literally saved my life, in a way that an open faced helmet would not have.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 6:06 am

To me the windshield lowered, ear plugs and a bit of speed seem to keep me fairly comfy. I know if you are in stop and go traffic that is of no help but it is never the plan to be in that type of traffic.

Gerhard
post #14 of 17 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocanpickem
Full face helmets are quiter with the shield up rather than down. I wonder if anyone can explain why
Try a Schuberth C3, which I suppose is modular. Don't know if you're lumping these in w/ full face, but it's the exact opposite.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #15 of 17 Old Apr 17th, 2013, 1:16 pm

I ride in summer with a Shoei RJ Platinum and Wiley X sunglasses (one clear pair and one polarised) and carry a clip on bubble visor for when the European/British weather turns back to normal form.

The Shoei is a great helmet - really comfortable and the peak makes a surprising difference, adding shade particularly when the sun is low in the sky. You can just remove the peak and add the bubble visor when it really pours down.

I wear ear-plugs all the time but I don't think the Shoei is any more noisy than my full face or modular helmets (ok, I have a few to choose from ). The quietest helmet that I own is a Davida open face - shown in some tests run by Ride magazine in the uk a few years ago to be quieter than anything, due to the lack of wind noise... if you don't have much helmet, you don't have much turbulence...
post #16 of 17 Old Apr 18th, 2013, 1:31 am

I bought a highly rated modular, Caberg from a dealer in Italy. It doe NOT have DOT sticker which if fine with me since helmets are not manditory in AZ.

I looked hard at the Schuberth 3 to replace my Schuberth 1. I took what I didn't spend on the Schuberth and put it towards other safety gear.

I never ride with the modular part up; at stop lights with 100+F temps it helps a lot. With the Caberg I can ride the interstae with the face shield half way up, it covers my eyes and nose, and the LT's lowered windshield covers below my eyes.

My Schuberth would not keep the face shield open, so I used to take it off until it rained or temps dropped.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #17 of 17 Old Apr 18th, 2013, 11:28 am

If one is considering an open face helmet, I'd recommend skipping the helmet altogether and just going without. But then again, I would NEVER recommend that anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
If you had seen what happened to the chin bar of my helmet during my crash, you wouldn't ever even consider riding in an open face helmet.

Mine was a Schuberth C3 modular, and it completely gave itself up so that I could survive my crash. In other words, it did its job, quite well.

It quite literally saved my life, in a way that an open faced helmet would not have.
Case closed...

- Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in