Sotgsott - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Sotgsott

Yes, I am a rider that I guess I have too much Harley blood in my veins. I read about ATTATT (all the gear all the time) But i am more of a SOTGSOTT (some of the gear some of the time). OK, I ALWAYS wear the helmet and jeans and have to have real shoes but not boots.
I was on my way home from a grueling three mile ride from the store in my jeans and tennis shoes and about one long block from the light. I downshifted into second gear and slid my size 13 shoe back and it did not move. My shoelace and looped around the gear shift and I am getting close to a red light and no way to put my foot down. Panic starts as I am still rolling and I pull in the clutch and try for neutral. The traffic is not at a complete stop so I am inching forward and putting my right foot down using the front break only. Finally we get to stop and I reach down and untie my shoe to let it go. Just then, the bike starts to lean on the left side and I was able to stop it but not after sucking up about 2/3 of my seat. Heart pumping about 130 beats per minute and now it's a green light. I leave with my shoelace flapping in the breeze.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 6:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey Bones,

Well, there I was waiting to the last minute to decide my route as a came to a stop at a rural intersection just this past January (rare warm day). I failed to realize I had not shifted down to 1st, just 2nd. I turned right, let out the clutch as if I was in 1st, the engine died and Tarkus and I went over to the right. Somehow my right foot became trapped between the brake pedal and the road. This bent my foot under the pedal which caused my whole leg to twist. Just before my knee gave way I bailed off the bike landing on my helmet and right shoulder and knee. The weight of the bike came to rest on my outer right ankle bone via the brake pedal. Bent the pedal up 45 degrees. I was wearing heavy, insulated Army combat boots and am glad I was. If I hadn't had the protection of the heavy leather my ankle bone would have been fractured and and the skin and underlying tissues ripped to shreds. As it was, my ankle was very bruised and sore. Still tender today but much better. The ligaments and tendons in my right big toe were stretched and very sore. They're fine now.

My point being (finally) you never know when something stupid even at very low speeds will happen. It may not kill you but without the proper gear it may very well mangle you. I now want to get a pair of Oxtars with the plastic armor over the ankles. Or a new 1200RT which is 400# lighter than the LT. Or both. Tough to get passed the finance committee right now.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:46 am
IBR# 366

Garage
First, glad that you came out of it OK. Second, if you get good gear that fits well and is easy to get into and out of, then you'll be more likely to wear it for even those short runs.

I must admit to wearing jeans more often than I should (my riding pants are hard to get into), but even for my current 2-mile commute it's helmet, gloves, riding jacket, and motorcycle boots. It just isn't worth the hurt to go with anything less. I do need to get better riding pants though as I know exactly how little protection jeans offer, and how much Vicodin I need to take before they start scrubbing the road rash outta my knees. That really sucks.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

O'h yes, you are right. I KNOW what I should do. I just do not. AS a general rule, I ride in jeans and a tee-shirt and my half helmet. I was in a pretty bad boo-boo with an 18-wheeler in October 2000 that left me in a wheelchair for nine months and I had on leather boots, chaps and a leather jacket and helmet. My wife had the same. We slapped the back at 70mph and after nine surgeries for me and four for my wife, I KNOW what I should do, I just do not.

I also know...
to eat five servings of fruits and veggies daily,
no fried foods,
no smoking or drinking,
walk 30+ minutes daily,
do not buy things on credit cards,
and on and on but it's just one of those things we know but do different.

I am looking for a pair of boots but due to the sudden stop five years ago, I have a blood clot(DVT) problem and sores on my ankle. If anything touches it I come unglued. The last time I tried boots on and turned my ankle, the boot folded in and it was over. I am not accepting the fact that I have to wear tennis shoes the rest of my life, but it looks like it might be so. I will keep looking.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 7:34 am

Quote:
I am not accepting the fact that I have to wear tennis shoes the rest of my life, but it looks like it might be so. I will keep looking.
Have you looked into something like this: Joe Rocket Atomic Shoe (click here) ?

It would offer more protection than just a straight up tennis shoe.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #6 of 6 Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Ekim, yes, I have been looking at them. I am going to try another pair of boots but the dealers here in our small town just do not keep a big stock of anything but motocross stuff. The next time I blast outta here and get to stop by a "big" town, I am going to try on a jacket and boots.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in