Motosport Kevlar Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Motosport Kevlar Gear

Can someone tell me how to check out the Motosport product line? I am interested in the Marathon Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket, but would really like to check out and "touch" their jacket offerings before dropping 5 bills on one. It appears they are manufactured in Escondido, which is within a couple of hours from me. I have not received a response from an E mail to their web site ... I am wondering if they are an on-line outlet exclusively? Did those of you who own one purchase based on Internet recommendations only or did you get a chance to try them on? I didn't see an address on their web site or any reference to a brick and mortar store.

Chris

President SCBMWRC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 12:35 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Motosport Kevlar Gear

I haven't visited Motoport's facility, but I know several riders who have.

Those who have their stuff do rave about it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 10:07 am

Read the reviews, read more reviews. Filled out the sizing chart and picked my jacket and pants.

That was 5 years ago. Couldn't be happier.

bob

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRoady
Can someone tell me how to check out the Motosport product line? I am interested in the Marathon Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket, but would really like to check out and "touch" their jacket offerings before dropping 5 bills on one. It appears they are manufactured in Escondido, which is within a couple of hours from me. I have not received a response from an E mail to their web site ... I am wondering if they are an on-line outlet exclusively? Did those of you who own one purchase based on Internet recommendations only or did you get a chance to try them on? I didn't see an address on their web site or any reference to a brick and mortar store.
CWRoady;

I purchased my Police Kevlar Pants on line about 4 years ago. I followed the instructions about taping up ( black electrical tape) a pair of jeans and sent them in. About 6 weeks later the pants arrived. They fit like a glove and are extremely comfortable. I wear only these when riding. I was thinking about getting a jacket but my firstgear is still in great shape so for now I will keep the firstgear. Worth the cost and time it takes to get them. As far as I know, they only sell online.
Good luck!!

Bowdon
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 7:11 pm

I bought Motoport gear six or seven years ago on my (Ducati) dealer's recommendation. He had nothing to gain. I have been very happy with the jacket and pants. I don't have the mesh, I think I have "Ultra" non mesh, but the garments are comfortable in a wide range of temperatures, extremely durable and you do feel very safe wearing them. Still have plenty of life left after about 65,000 miles

In my dealings Wayne is a good small business man with integrity. I also bought some kevlar pants for my wife, She is petite but they were sized just right, and importantly, she is happy, thinks her ass "looks good" in them and I tend to agree.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #6 of 12 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 9:56 pm

I have owned my Motoport Airmesh II gear some 7 years now and love it. I crash tested the setup with the tri-armor several years ago, and other than some cracked ribs, had no road rash at all despite a very hard body slam. The stuff works very well, and is comfortable in the high temperatures of south Louisiana in the summer.

I am in the process of ordering some police style pants in the khaki color, and sent Wayne an email earlier today and got a reply from him in about an hour. Excellent product and customer service for me, and the best armor available to date. Worth every penny you invest in saving your skin.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I am wondering if my Email went through or not. I sent another after hearing of such a quick response.

I am hoping to go visit the shop and see the different styles and options .. actually hoping he might have something on the shelf that would fit and meet my wants enough to avoid the long lead time.

Chris

President SCBMWRC

post #8 of 12 Old Feb 21st, 2013, 4:32 pm

If you can visit the shop while there you can order and get measured for the jacket and pants.

The base price rapidly fades away as you start adding in what has been left out.

I bought my gear based upon word of mouth on this site; I feel much safer in this gear than I did in any other mesh type gear.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 12:30 am Thread Starter

I believe there was an issue with my earlier E mail. I returned from a dirt biking trip to a reply from Motosport. While they don't have a store front open to the public, they will make appt's.

I am tentatively planning to get down there one day this week ... Thanks again for the feedback.

Chris

President SCBMWRC

post #10 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 2:54 am

So, where is their facility located? Do they have more than one?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #11 of 12 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 10:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
So, where is their facility located? Do they have more than one?
Hi Chris,
Yes we do have a store. We are by appointment only , so let us know what day and time you would like to come in.

Best Regards,
Wayne Boyer
CEO Motoport USA
340 Rancheros Dr. #184
San Marcos, CA 92069
800-777-6499
760-752-1048
Fax: 760-752-9317

Chris

President SCBMWRC

post #12 of 12 Old Mar 27th, 2013, 4:40 pm

I have been to the "store front" a few times.

Wayne took care of me on one occasion and once I wanted an addition to my gear and I was in and out in a few hours.

Love the gear and they took care of me.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in