Gore-Tex jacket: The next step in the quest - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Jan 9th, 2013, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

Gore-Tex jacket: The next step in the quest

Hi all -

I am continuing the Endless Quest for The Perfect Riding Jacket. Yes, I know no such thing exists, but we all must have our quests.

I have a five year old Cayenne Pro that is starting to show its age. If you talk to my wife, she will say it looks "horrible and not just a bit tatty". I like it that way, but it is starting to come apart in a few places. That, and I can't get the smell out of it (and not even sure what the smell *is*).

One of the main reasons I chose the Cayenne Pro was for the orange/silver colour option. Yes, orange is obnoxious but that makes you more visible in the rain and muck. One of the downsides to the Cayenne is that it is not a waterproof jacket; the liner is but not the shell. After adding two or three gallons of water to the shell fabric, it gets a bit heavy and takes forever to dry out (hmm, possible cause of the unknown smell).

Anyways, I have beeen researching Gore-Tex jackets and have come up with a couple possible suitors (pun intended). The Klim Badlands Pro, Klim Latitude or the Aerostitch Roadcrafter. I ride pretty much all-weather and all the time, so I am not really concerned with the money aspect, I just want a good jacket.

The biggest holdback against the Klims is that they are covered in Klim logos. I've seen professional bicycle racers with less advertising plastered on them. They offer a silver/black option that would provide at least a little visibility over a pure black option.

The Roadcrafter is a nice jacket with a good pedigree, but the colours just don't work. I've seen a red Roadcrafter jacket that was a lovely shade of pink after two years of wear, and I don't think I could put up with that. Not sure what the missus would say about that, either.

So. Basically, what I am looking for is any input on either the Klim line or any alternatives that you have found to work well for you in the Gore-Tex "waterproof" jacket arena.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Jan 9th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Re: Gore-Tex jacket: The next step in the quest

For the last two riding seasons I have been using RUKKA Aramis Jacket and pants, pretty pricey, bought mine of ADV Rider flea market. It is the only pant/jacket combo I need great for cold temp below 32 deg F, in Canada. In Phoenix in 100 deg F, it can be a little hot. however since most riding is done in more temperate climates it is great.

I have had them all from Leather, First Gear, BMG (Belstaff), Reima to the Revit Cayenne Pro which I sold after one trip hated to have to wear Water Proof liners etc. Also have an older style Revit SENSOR completely water proof outer shell, no liner.

I found First Gear, Reima (Cycl Oak) to be pretty good and affordable, also BMG the ex distributor for Belstaff has a good variety of jackets, the Discovery being an excellent choice, again water proof exterior.

bmwnewbie
post #3 of 37 Old Jan 9th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Check out tiger angel (www.tigerangel.com.au). I'm an all weather all season rider and have had one of their Element jackets for over a decade. What I like is the jacket on its own is waterproof and wind proof and has a zip out thermal liner for cold weather. The colour has faded a bit but a yearly wash in a Gortex treatment keeps it performing.

I'm also a Roadcrafter fan and use one of their one pice riding suits on my daily commute.

Born Again Middle aged BIker

K1600GT
C650GT

post #4 of 37 Old Jan 9th, 2013, 5:34 pm

I'm very happy with my BMW Streetguard 3 jacket and pants. Works well from around freezing to 80F. The only thing is that its been out a few years now and there could well be a version 4 in the pipeline.
post #5 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 1:51 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer
I'm very happy with my BMW Streetguard 3 jacket and pants. Works well from around freezing to 80F. The only thing is that its been out a few years now and there could well be a version 4 in the pipeline.
I too have a Streetguard 3 jacket & trousers. I have ridden in temps from 0°C (32°F) to 20°C plus (68°F+) and have been very happy with it. I ride daily too and fro from work as well as the periodic long tour. It has proved to be weatherproof. The think I like about it is, it has a double cuff on the sleeves to stop the water from getting inside.

The protection is also first class.

The downside? The cost, but if they bring out a new version then you will see a reduction in the price, but obviously the choices of sizes becomes limited.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #6 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 6:00 am

I too would like to switch to a Gore-Tex jacket.

Currently I have a couple of Revit jackets that have waterproof liners.

Here is a website that lists Gore-Tex motorcycle products from various manufactures:

http://www.gore-tex.com/products/men...cycling/page0/
post #7 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 6:04 am

Held also makes a number of Gore-Tex jackets:
http://stores.heldnorthamerica.com/-...Categories.bok
post #8 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 8:13 am

So, I have been reading like crazy about the various Gore-Tex jackets.

Pretty much most of them have Gore-tex sandwiched in the shell fabric. This means the outer skin of the jacket still gets wet. I am not referring to jackets that have a Gore-tex liner.

I don't understand why they don't use Gore-Tex on the outermost layer?
post #9 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregpinch
I don't understand why they don't use Gore-Tex on the outermost layer?
The Gore-Tex membrane is actually very thin and pretty fragile, thus it is embedded between layers.

Recently, they came out with their ProShell (I think that is the name) which is a more durable material that is actually waterproof, but it is horrendously expensive (I just bought an ArcTeryx Theta rain jacket that was $600, but it is 100% completely waterproof, tested in a 2 inch per hour downpour for 45 minutes).

For motorcycle applications, even the ProShell isn't tough enough for sliding down the pavement on, so that is why it has to hide under a layer of Cordura.
post #10 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 10:04 am Thread Starter

Thanks all for your suggestions/comments.

One of the hardest parts is that nobody in my area carries any kind of stock for the higher end gear so I can't see it/try it on beforehand. I hate ordering something and then paying $30 to ship it back when I don't like it.
post #11 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I am in the same boat. Even though I live in a large city (Toronto) there are very few places to try on what I am looking for.

Let's try to keep this thread going on Gore-Tex jackets.

My personal requirements are a jacket is cut like an adventure tour style and with good venting. It does not have to be a full summer (80+) jacket (I have a mesh RevIt for summer).

So far I am looking at the RevIt Legacy GTX, AlpineStars Tech ST, Scott Distinct 1 & 2, and am just starting research on Held jackets.
post #12 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by four12
Thanks all for your suggestions/comments.

One of the hardest parts is that nobody in my area carries any kind of stock for the higher end gear so I can't see it/try it on beforehand. I hate ordering something and then paying $30 to ship it back when I don't like it.
Consider traveling to where the products are sold (or made). We drove 900+ miles (each way) to Duluth, MN to look at Aerostich gear. The time and expense was well worth it, for the reason you mention. I wanted to see the products in person, choose between one-piece and two-piece suits, get a good fit, and so on.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 37 Old Jan 10th, 2013, 8:48 pm

REVZILLA has very good policies for returning items.

Soon I'll be ordering MOTOPORT pants to go with the jacket I have and pick up their liners for rain. With the uninsulated liners I'm hopeing it will replace using my Stich suit which has been excellent in rain, and zips together when it's cold. With Gerbings my Stich keeps me comfortable at 80 mph with temps in the lower 30s F.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #14 of 37 Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by four12
Hi all -

I am continuing the Endless Quest for The Perfect Riding Jacket. Yes, I know no such thing exists, but we all must have our quests.

I have a five year old Cayenne Pro that is starting to show its age. If you talk to my wife, she will say it looks "horrible and not just a bit tatty". I like it that way, but it is starting to come apart in a few places. That, and I can't get the smell out of it (and not even sure what the smell *is*).

One of the main reasons I chose the Cayenne Pro was for the orange/silver colour option. Yes, orange is obnoxious but that makes you more visible in the rain and muck. One of the downsides to the Cayenne is that it is not a waterproof jacket; the liner is but not the shell. After adding two or three gallons of water to the shell fabric, it gets a bit heavy and takes forever to dry out (hmm, possible cause of the unknown smell).

Anyways, I have beeen researching Gore-Tex jackets and have come up with a couple possible suitors (pun intended). The Klim Badlands Pro, Klim Latitude or the Aerostitch Roadcrafter. I ride pretty much all-weather and all the time, so I am not really concerned with the money aspect, I just want a good jacket.

The biggest holdback against the Klims is that they are covered in Klim logos. I've seen professional bicycle racers with less advertising plastered on them. They offer a silver/black option that would provide at least a little visibility over a pure black option.

The Roadcrafter is a nice jacket with a good pedigree, but the colours just don't work. I've seen a red Roadcrafter jacket that was a lovely shade of pink after two years of wear, and I don't think I could put up with that. Not sure what the missus would say about that, either.

So. Basically, what I am looking for is any input on either the Klim line or any alternatives that you have found to work well for you in the Gore-Tex "waterproof" jacket arena.
Check out the Sedici Alexi three season jacket that Cycle rider ran an add on yesterday for $199.00 looks like it has all you need to ride in cold, wet or hot weather

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
post #15 of 37 Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=four12...
The Roadcrafter is a nice jacket with a good pedigree, but the colours just don't work. I've seen a red Roadcrafter jacket that was a lovely shade of pink after two years of wear, and I don't think I could put up with that...[/QUOTE]

During CCR Duluth last year we took the Aerostich tour. One thing that was pointed out was the red, and HiViz, suits were revamped a few years ago to eliminate the fade-to-pink problem. As a matter of fact, if Andy sees you in a pink Roadcrafter he's likely to offer a new suit for free.

Motor On ,/'

post #16 of 37 Old Jan 11th, 2013, 11:23 am

I woulda thought that with over 100,000 miles on my BMW Kalahari all season jacket, I'd've worn the thing out so I can look around for a replacement. Can't convince the CFO that I need a new one - she sez it's just like the day I brought it home from Lone Star/Austin 13 years ago. Soooo - until I scrag it or the CFO finds a winning lottery ticket, I'll just be looking at this vendor and wishing!!!
post #17 of 37 Old Jan 11th, 2013, 8:11 pm

i've seen fabric spray to help prevent fabric from fading.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #18 of 37 Old Jan 13th, 2013, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasteve
Check out the Sedici Alexi three season jacket that Cycle rider ran an add on yesterday for $199.00 looks like it has all you need to ride in cold, wet or hot weather
That won't work. I'm tired of liners and having the outer layer being soaking wet and heavy.
post #19 of 37 Old Jan 13th, 2013, 2:20 pm

I've also been searching for the perfect jacket, for the last 10 years.

I tried a Darien Light, wasn't impressed, didn't keep me 100% dry. After 6 months, I sold it and bought a Kilimanjaro. I really like it, it's kept me dry, but it's got about 20,000 miles on it and it looks like its been thru a war.

I've decided my next jacket will be a Klim, I'm tired of messing around with mid-priced equipment. I'm going to bite the bullet, buy the best and see what happens.

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #20 of 37 Old Jan 13th, 2013, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjkwood
I've decided my next jacket will be a Klim, I'm tired of messing around with mid-priced equipment. I'm going to bite the bullet, buy the best and see what happens.
I really like the Klim jackets... except for the fact that you're a rolling billboard.

Last edited by four12; Jan 13th, 2013 at 5:18 pm.
post #21 of 37 Old Jan 14th, 2013, 12:36 am

A little grease will take care of that. :-)

post #22 of 37 Old Jan 14th, 2013, 2:35 am

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/hu/item/...-jacket-62043/

I carry one of these with me and put it right over my GoreTex lined jacket when I expect heavy rains. The GoreTex is fine for light rains, but in heavy rain the outer shell saturates and it becomes a pain as previously mentioned. This jacket folds into almost nothing and make a great casual jacket off the bike. It's expensive but very functional and durable. Mine is about 10 years old now and still looks and works like new.

I have ridden for hours in cold rainy conditions and stayed warm and dry with my Gerbings long sleeved liner and the HH jacket over the GoreTex jacket.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #23 of 37 Old Jan 14th, 2013, 2:27 pm

My Stich suit never picks up any rain.

post #24 of 37 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 3:53 am Thread Starter

Gonna bite the bullet and get a Klim Latitude to replace my failing Cayenne Pro.
post #25 of 37 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 6:34 am

Four12,

Can you please keep us posted on the jacket. I too have interest in Klim jackets.
Let us know if it is true to size and how the venting is.

Thanks,
Greg
post #26 of 37 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 11:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you please keep us posted on the jacket. I too have interest in Klim jackets.
Let us know if it is true to size and how the venting is.
I was able to find a local dealer that had the Latitudes in stock, so I went over to try them on and get my pawprints on them.

My Revit Cayenne Pro is an XL, and fits well with both liners in it but a little loose with the liners out, just for comparison.

I put on an XL Latitude and my first reaction was "my God, I can fit my pillion in here too." Switching down to a large and it was a perfect fit. Enough room to layer underneath or to get some airflow in the summer, but not flowing or riding up.

I was impressed with the adjustability of the Latitude. Adjusters in the arms, neck, waist and lower hem all seemed to work well in their respective areas.

Pockets were good but not great. The inside pockets are all mesh, which will probably be fine but I would have preferred at least one of them to be a full nylon pocket, just for a little more protection. Exterior pockets seemed like they would hold everything you'd want on your body and not in your tank/side bags (wallet, cell phone, SPOT, etc.)

Unfortunately, I was not able to buy from the dealer where I was trying them on at. They only had a large in the silver/grey and I wanted the black. The dealer said that their supplier was backordered "a long time" on the Klim gear. I checked Revzilla and a couple others and they are all out of stock on large/blacks, but Touratech says they have them.

I'll be ordering it probably in a few days and will report back here with my initial findings.
post #27 of 37 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 7:26 am

So, I went to a local dealer to try on Klim jackets.

In a nut shell I thought they were all horrible !!!
They were so stiff, weighed a ton and all the neck closures made me want to rip the jacket off the second I sat on a bike.
Again, this is just my personal opinion.

Then I stopped by another dealer and tried on some more Revit jackets.
The Legacy GTX really felt nice, was a great fit and very comfortable.
BUT the Gore-Tex is still a lining. It's not a removable lining but sewn right to the shell.

My question/concern "is this going to be the same situation where the exterior of the jacket get's water logged in the rain" ?
post #28 of 37 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 9:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Just wanted to suggest you also consider the BMW Comfort Shell jacket and pants. My SO and I both have them and they are, for my uses, without a doubt the best riding gear I've ever owned. It is completely (and I mean completely) waterproof...we've stayed dry touring in all day downpours. The garments are made from Schoeller phase change material, so they do breath when the temps rise. We pair them with Gerbings electric liners when the temps drop below 50 degrees and have stayed totally warm. I particularly like the fact I don't have to stop and put in a liner every time it rains.

WARNING: As with most stuff BMW, they are RIDICULOUSLY expensive, although not much different than any other top shelf riding gear.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #29 of 37 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 9:31 am

Does the Comfort Shell have a zip out liner?

I am just trying to find a jacket that has the Gore-Tex as the main material.
I don't ride a GS bike so I don't need all the crazy material and features.

Every other sport seems to have great quality Gore-Tex jackets available yet the MC industry only has a few.
I understand having tough material is an issue.
post #30 of 37 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:51 am Thread Starter

Quote:
My question/concern "is this going to be the same situation where the exterior of the jacket get's water logged in the rain" ?
Any jacket with a GoreTex "liner" will end up with a waterlogged exterior Cordura shell.

This is why I do not want a jacket with a waterproof liner; I want a jacket with a waterproof outer shell.
post #31 of 37 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Just wanted to suggest you also consider the BMW Comfort Shell jacket and pants.

WARNING: As with most stuff BMW, they are RIDICULOUSLY expensive, although not much different than any other top shelf riding gear.
I did have a poke at the Comfort Shell jacket when I was at the local dealer (buying a pair of Pro Winter 2 gloves).

The fit was strange across my shoulders and the fabric was "crinkly". I'm a firm believer that jackets and backpacks should fit and feel good the moment you put them on; if they don't, they never will feel just right.
post #32 of 37 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 3:51 pm

Was just at the dealer looking at the ReVit Legacy GTX (GoreTex).
Same situation, of a liner underneath (not removable).

I just don't get why there are not a ton of Gortex shells out there for motorcycling.

Going to go look at Scott GoreTex jackets this weekend.
post #33 of 37 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Going to go look at Scott GoreTex jackets this weekend.
Never heard of that brand before but they appear to be have the GoreTex liner as well.
post #34 of 37 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Saw a Richa Spirit jacket in a recent issue of Motorcycle Consumer News that looked very interesting in that the shell was completely waterproof without getting waterlogged. Anyone have any knowledge?
post #35 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 4:56 am

I just had a look at that jacket on-line as well as the video on the motorcycle superstore site.
It looks very interesting !
post #36 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 9:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=four12]I did have a poke at the Comfort Shell jacket when I was at the local dealer (buying a pair of Pro Winter 2 gloves).

The fit was strange across my shoulders and the fabric was "crinkly". I'm a firm believer that jackets and backpacks should fit and feel good the moment you put them on; if they don't, they never will feel just right.[/QUOTE

Agree, the jacket was very stiff when I first purchased it (kinda like a good leather jacket). But it does soften up over time and gets to be very comfortable. However, if the fit just wasn't right then agree you should just keep looking.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #37 of 37 Old Feb 18th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Rukka! Most of their jackets are made of Cordura and bonded Gore-tex. They fit well, are very comfortable, and look great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in