Powerlet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 13th, 2012, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

Powerlet

We got new heated liners and glove liners. Went for a cold ride but we were warm. Like the wireless controls. You still have to plug the jacket into the bike and the gloves into the Jacket, but you can put the control unit anywhere. It was a bright sunny day but cold. Perfect day to check the new gear.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 13th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Re: Powerlet

Absolutely agree. A few months ago, while visiting Adam at Rocket Moto in New Hampshire we upgraded our Gerbing's jackets to Powerlet jackets with wireless controllers. I have used my jacket several times recently and I like (a) the wireless heat controller, AND (b) the ability to fine-tune the heat like I want it. It's not just ON/OFF - now I can vary the heat to what is needed at the time. Nice...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 14th, 2012, 8:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Absolutely agree. A few months ago, while visiting Adam at Rocket Moto in New Hampshire we upgraded our Gerbing's jackets to Powerlet jackets with wireless controllers. I have used my jacket several times recently and I like (a) the wireless heat controller, AND (b) the ability to fine-tune the heat like I want it. It's not just ON/OFF - now I can vary the heat to what is needed at the time. Nice...
Is the Powerlet liner as warm as Gerbing's? And do you have to plug the receiver for the controller somewhere or is it built in the liner?

Thank you.

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 14th, 2012, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
You still have to plug the jacket into the bike and the gloves into the Jacket, .
Yeah, wireless power is still a developing tech. It is clearly possible to transmit enough power for whatever, but the trick is not microwaving anything and everything that comes in between the xmitter and rcvr.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 14th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammam
Is the Powerlet liner as warm as Gerbing's? And do you have to plug the receiver for the controller somewhere or is it built in the liner?

Thank you.
(1) yes, and (2) no.

I've had both versions of Gerbing's jacket - the original and the new "microwire" product. They both worked just fine. The new microwire jacket liner worked as advertised: smaller wires, more even heat, and VERY fast heat-up. The Powerlet feels as warm as either Gerbing's jacket.

What I always wanted was a temperature controller and when it came time to buy one I learned of the Powerlet controller and then their jacket, so now I have both Powerlet products. You can use the Powerlet controller with whatever brand of heated gear you have.

The receiver is built into the jacket liner. Powerlet also has a dual-voltage capability that lets you limit the voltage drawn by the jacket, in case you have a smaller alternator output or whatever.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 14th, 2012, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

The wireless receiver for the controller is plugged into the jacket and fits in a small zip pocket, just as if it was built-in. You can put the controller transmitter anywhere in a pocket on your tank bag etc. You also have two power settings 105 watts and 60 watts. 60 is what you would use if you connected to the canbus as opposed to direct to the battery. The old LT can be powered off the outlet at 105 watts. I have one direct connected to the battery and up though the seat, and the other is plugged into the outlet at the rear seat. Here is a video. I didn't buy it online but this show a good view of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeL87iUZdA

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Last edited by mwnahas; Dec 14th, 2012 at 4:52 pm.
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 14th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
The wireless receiver for the controller is plugged into the jacket and fits in a small zip pocket, just as if it was built-in. You can put the controller transmitter anywhere in a pocket on your tank bag etc. You also have two power settings 105 watts and 60 watts. 60 is what you would use if you connected to the canbus as opposed to direct to the battery. The old LT can be powered off the outlet at 105 watts. I have one direct connected to the battery and up though the seat, and the other is plugged into the outlet at the rear seat. Here is a video. I didn't buy it online but this show a good view of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeL87iUZdA
Powerlet is just a good company...period IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in