Gerbing Customer Service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2012, 5:36 am Thread Starter

Gerbing Customer Service

For years I've always had Gerbings gear to help get me through the cold winter months. However, Gerbings has really burned me a couple of times.

Most recently, I picked up a new jacket liner from a local dealer in October and quickly realized that a new splitter cable would be needed to supply heat to both the liner and the gloves. (This was different from my old liner which conveniently only required one lead.) Called up Gerbing and they said it was on back order until the end of Nov. Called back in Dec. and still on back order for another month. I ended buying one off eBay and paying twice as much.

I simply cannot understand how this type of business can be out of stock at such a critical time of the year (start of winter). In my opinion, great products, horrible service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2012, 7:06 am
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Gerbing Customer Service

Gerbing is in the process of bringing all of there manufacturing back to the US. Many dealers have not received there winter orders yet. Sometime next year 100% of there products will be made & assembled here in the US.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 14th, 2012, 8:14 am

I've had the liner jacket since last Spring, with the optional heat controller plugged in my RT's outlet. It worked beautifully, until it started behaving whimsically a few weeks ago. It works. Then, it stops. Then, it works again. But most of the time, it works, I go, and then, it stops working. For some reason, often after a first shutting down the engine. Not fun when all you're wearing is insulating underwear, the electric liner and the riding jacket with lining, and it's about 35 F.

Now, I can't figue out if the trouble comes from the controller, the plug, the wiring or the liner itself. I do not think it's the system fuse that shuts, since the liner draws 77 watts at full powe and the fuse system on the RT is 10 A. But I could be wrong. Since I have to store the bike for winter, I will have my dealer send the whole kit back to Gerbing under warranty and see what they say. For some reason, since the problem is intermittent, I am not very confident they will find any fault with it.

Last edited by Hammam; Dec 14th, 2012 at 8:30 am.

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 14th, 2012, 8:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammam
I've had the liner jacket since last Spring, with the optional heat controller plugged in my RT's outlet. It worked beautifully, until it started behaving whimsically a few weeks ago. It works. Then, it stops. Then, it works again. But most of the time, it works, I go, and then, it stops working. For some reason, often after a first shutting down the engine. Not fun when all you're wearing is insulating underwear, the electric liner and the riding jacket with lining, and it's about 35 F.

Now, I can't figue out if the trouble comes from the controller, the plug, the wiring or the liner itself. Since I have to store the bike for winter, I will have my dealer send the whole kit back to Gerbing under warranty and see what they say. For some reason, since the problem is intermittent, I am not very confident they will find any fault with it.
I'm betting you're getting a low voltage fault and the controller is shutting itself off. It does that when it senses a low voltage condition to keep from pulling your battery down if your charging system doesn't have enough oomph. But if you have it wired directly to the battery, and you start the bike while the controller is already on, it will sense the low voltage when the starter fires and go into its low-voltage fault mode. It blinks differently when that happens - I think red, but I won't swear to that. Next time it stops working, look at the lights on the controller and see what they're doing. Once it goes into that mode, it will reset if you just cycle the power on the controller (assuming the correct voltage has been restored, of course).

Just remember to start your bike first, before turning the controller on.

If you're getting the low voltage fault at other times, then you might in fact have a low voltage situation or a flaky controller.
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 16th, 2012, 12:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
I'm betting you're getting a low voltage fault and the controller is shutting itself off. It does that when it senses a low voltage condition to keep from pulling your battery down if your charging system doesn't have enough oomph. But if you have it wired directly to the battery, and you start the bike while the controller is already on, it will sense the low voltage when the starter fires and go into its low-voltage fault mode. It blinks differently when that happens - I think red, but I won't swear to that. Next time it stops working, look at the lights on the controller and see what they're doing. Once it goes into that mode, it will reset if you just cycle the power on the controller (assuming the correct voltage has been restored, of course).

Just remember to start your bike first, before turning the controller on.

If you're getting the low voltage fault at other times, then you might in fact have a low voltage situation or a flaky controller.
I am plugged into the BMW Canbus outlet of my RT, which, I understand, will not take more than 60 W. before the Canbus «fuse» shuts. And the fuse reopens when the condition ceases. The Gerbing liner puts out 77 W. But I rarely, if ever, put the controller all the way up, because it's too hot. I also always do take great care to not switch the controller on before starting the engine, and to switch it offf before shutting down the engine.

Maybe it's that Canbus fuse system that's a bit sensitive after all. I will try direct to battery next time (which will be in 3 months, because now the bike is put away for winter.)

By the way, do you remember what the controller red light means, when it's flashing and when it's not flashing?
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 16th, 2012, 6:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammam
I am plugged into the BMW Canbus outlet of my RT, which, I understand, will not take more than 60 W. before the Canbus «fuse» shuts. And the fuse reopens when the condition ceases. The Gerbing liner puts out 77 W. But I rarely, if ever, put the controller all the way up, because it's too hot. I also always do take great care to not switch the controller on before starting the engine, and to switch it offf before shutting down the engine.

Maybe it's that Canbus fuse system that's a bit sensitive after all. I will try direct to battery next time (which will be in 3 months, because now the bike is put away for winter.)

By the way, do you remember what the controller red light means, when it's flashing and when it's not flashing?
I'm going to bet the CAN Bus-monitored power connection is your immediate problem. If it's shutting the power down, then of course you won't see ANY lights on the controller. My previous comments re: making sure the controller is turned off when starting the bike refer to a direct-connect situation, where it would still be seeing power but the voltage would likely drop below its threshold when the starter engages. Mine would, and I thought I had a bad controller until I snapped that it was only shutting down when I had re-started the bike for some reason with the heat controller still turned on.

Mine flashes yellow when it's on and working OK. From the Gerbng's FAQ:
Q: The LED lights on my controller are blinking. Does that indicate a problem?
A: No, that's normal. There's a single LED on the single controller and two LED's on the dual controller. When each knob is in the Off position, the light for that knob will be off. When you turn that knob On, the light will start blinking. The higher you turn up the power, the faster the light will blink until you have the knob turned up all the way at which time that LED will be on constantly (solid, no blinking). There is no problem in having one circuit turned up full and the other turned up part way.
Regarding the low voltage condition:
Flashing green/Red= low Voltage < 10.5 V
Re-Set faulty state
Turn both Switches to Off
Turn both switches to On
Flashing Yellow or Solid LED= All Ok
Here are the links for the quotes above:
low voltage situation
FAQ

Last edited by JimE; Dec 16th, 2012 at 6:07 am.
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 16th, 2012, 8:56 am

I always have a red light on, even when there's no heat. It's either flashing (when the controller is about half-way) or fixed (when the controller is going up.) I've never had a yellow light (?), even when everything seems to work normally. Also, my battey is always on trickle charge overnight, so I don't think it's low. Could be, but not likely. I will put a tester on it just to see.

Thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in