First Gear Heated Jacket - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 10:50 am Thread Starter

First Gear Heated Jacket

Anyone use this thing? How's the fit? The heat?

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/first...ket-liner-mens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 12:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: First Gear Heated Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I've been using the Warm & Safe stuff for years now, before it was branded/sold under First Gear.

It works, very well.

I was crossing Atlanta last December in 16F, and I had to turn the jacket down because it was getting too warm.

Heated gear works best when it fits close to your body. You want it snug, but not tight, for maximum comfort and heat transfer.

The stretch panels built in really do help with that fit.

For any heated gear, you will need a controller. It is an added expense, but it allows you to tailor the heat to your current comfort level and riding conditions.

I've been using a dual Heat-troller (separate jacket and pants or gloves control) for 6 years and several hundred thousand miles. It still works just as well as it did 5 bikes ago.

I no longer have to ride cold, in any season.

In fact, my Warm & Safe heated jacket lives on the bike year-round, so it's always available (you'd be surprised how cold 60 feels after you've been riding in 100+ all day . . . )

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/first...ket-liner-mens
Last year early I bought the jacket , gloves and pants and was like you wondering if this stuff for the price we pay for it will really work as they say and will it last. I rode all winter with it here in Missouri down to mid teens and I can tell you it kept me NICE and worm. As I'm going down the highway and people are looking out their windows at me, "like is the guy crazy", well yes but warm. I only have one controller I keep in my jacket pocket and I keep it at a low setting and don't mess with it and from my legs up to me helmet I am warm. The jacket heated collar goes up high enough under the bottom of my helmet and most of my head is warm as well. At the end of last year I bought the socks and my feet are toast as well. For me I can now ride most anytime I want HE HA!! what a difference. Thank you to all you smart folks that come up with this great stuff! Oh and by the way I used it a bunch and none of it shows any sing of wear.

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 10:43 pm

gloves and full liner/jacket-couldn't b more satisified.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2012, 8:50 am

I bought a wireless controller for mine. Works great and one less thing to plug in.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 7:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife
I bought a wireless controller for mine. Works great and one less thing to plug in.
Yeah...I saw those. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the jacket. Now I'm trying to decide on the controller. I'm thinking the wireless is the way to go too.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 7 Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 10:12 am

Smile Re: First Gear Heated Jacket

+1 on Warm and Safe.

Get the waterproof heated jacket, comes in several colors, takes the place of other jackets and liners and looks good off the bike to boot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in