Motoport Kevlar jacket - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

Motoport Kevlar jacket

I've had the jacket for a good part of the summer, worn it on a few rides, and around town.

For many years I've worn a Joe rocket Phoenix jacket. My reasoning was that even though it is flimsy, it is better than no protection. I did notice that it seemed to trap cooler air next to my body when the temps were HOT, over 100F. I got the jacket with a “Sahara” cooling vest and an insulated waterproof liner. Using the INSULATED liner during monsoon season kept the rain off, but soaked me from sweating under an INSULATED vest.

Net result was that I'd rather get soaked when storm cells pass over me.

A while back, when someone asked about a mesh jacket for summer riding, Ron mentioned his Motoport Kevlar gear and what he did to use it year round. I had looked at Motorport gear in the past.

During last winter I priced out a jacket and pants, and waterproof liners. My thought was that if the liners were easy to put on and take off I might be able to use the Motoport gear to replace my trusty Aerostich two piece suit.

For my ride last year from Maine back to AZ I bought Gerbings heated jacket liner and heated pants liner along with the dual heat controller. The combo of my Aerostich, when zipper together, with the Gerbings gear kept me warm through hours of rain with temps in the lower 50s and temps dropping from the lower 40s into the 30s while riding across Texas and New Mexico at 80 mph.

When I finally remembered to order from Motoport summer had started. While Motorport site indicated a 2 week wait, my wait was closer to 5 weeks. Measuring myself was easy when I followed Motoport's directions. I paid half of what the jacket order came to and was told they call contact me just before they started to make my jacket. While waiting for my jacket to be made, I ran across some threads complaining that someone's jacket or pants just didn't fit, and having a DIFFICULT time dealing with the owner. I figured I go over all of the measurements once again before they made my jacket to insure there wouldn't be a problem.

One day when I opened my garage door to back my LT out I saw a rather flat rectangular box UPS had dropped off. I wasn't expecting anything so I brought the box into my house and then left on my LT.

A couple of nights later I remembered the box. As I stared opening it I saw Motoport's return adr. With a lot of trepidation, I tried my jacket on. Perfect fit.

I'm guessing they sent an email to me that wound up in my junk mail folder?

It's a lot heavier than my Rocket, doesn't seem to trap a layer of air on my skin, and is a little hotter than my Rocket. But, it ain't flimsy! Even though it has a lot more protection padding air flows through it fairly easily once I get moving. Of course the trick with the LT is figure out how to get air to flow onto the jacket.

I feel much SAFER with the Motoport. Since I knew I was going to buy boots this year, I couldn't buy the pants. For the time being I'm relying upon Frog Togs for rain protection. In spite of the assertion that taking the jacket off, putting on the liner, and then donning the jacket is easy, I'm going with putting rain “liners” over the jacket. Our summer rainy season, and a large part of our winter rains come from storm cells. Gear on, ride down the road and in 5-35 minutes, stop and gear off.

So far the only draw back I've found to the jacket is that none of the pockets are water proof. This coming Spring I'll be getting the pants and uninsulated liners along with a pair of Kevlar gloves.

While my Aerostich is “Day-Glow Yellow”, a pain to keep clean looking, my Motoport is black. The black sticks out quite well on my Champaign LT, especially contrasted to my Day-Glow Yellow helmet.

Best from tucson
bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Smile Re: Motoport Kevlar jacket

Being a long time user of Motoport gear, (I am on my Second set) I would recommend using an external, not PVC lined, rain jacket and pants (First gear), much easier putting rain gear on over the Motoport then taking everything off, installing the liners, then putting everything back on. Also, for cool days use Warm-n-Safe Waterproof heated jacket under the mesh gear, works as a wind liner, heated jacket and stand alone jacket for off the bike.

Just my .02 worth.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Re: Motoport Kevlar jacket

Like Brasters I've been using Motorport for some years now. Love the jacket and pants and agree with his recommendation for rain gear worn OVER the jacket and pants for the simple reason that it's a hell of a lot easier to put a jacket and pants on without having to take off your gear.

A couple of weeks ago I hit 25 degrees and with a gerbings jacket I was fine for the hour or so till it warmed up to a balmy 44 degrees.

bob

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 7:12 am

I have the Motoport mesh with the liners. For cool weather as a wind liner I normally just put the liners on underneath my gear without zipping/attaching them in. Works well and easy to manage.

Scott
Chesapeake Va.
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 8:13 pm

Six years/sixty thousand miles on my Motoport suit. It's been great in all kinds of weather and my only regret is that the Red jacket with Black trim, and black pants I selected makes me look like Sergeant Preston (of the Yukon).

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbloch
Six years/sixty thousand miles on my Motoport suit. It's been great in all kinds of weather and my only regret is that the Red jacket with Black trim, and black pants I selected makes me look like Sergeant Preston (of the Yukon).

And you're riding on Yukon King!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in