Summer boots; waterproof boots - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 5:04 am Thread Starter

Summer boots; waterproof boots

I've had the opportunity to ware my new Dianese Air Race out boots on a few rides now: http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi...r.html?cat=125

I spent a lot of time looking for good sturdy candidates with very good ankle protection in addition to protecting my heal, toes, and “foot”. Plus, it had to be the best shot at not retaining heat like good waterproof Gortex boots do.

I narrowed it down to around three choices. My local Cycle Gear didn't stock any of the ones I wanted to try on, but they did have different style boots by the manufactures I was interested in. Out of the three manufacturers the Dianese fit the best. And, lucky for me, my feet didn't didn't think the other two were close.

If you look at these TRQ race boots you'll see they also have extra protection for shins and protection against ankle twist.

Indeed they do allow heat to escape through the holes. As hoped for my feet don't roast in them like they do in my waterproof Gortex boots. But, since they are vented, via the holes, not even close to water resistant! And, when I'm stopped, and the temps are HOT!, over 100F, heat soaks onto my feet through the holes. Due to all of the Tupperware, my feet aren't naturally in the wind while riding. But, all I have to do is rotate my foot 90 degrees so that my foot is pointing the same direction that my foot pegs do, and I can feel the wind cooling my foot.

When I need wind to strip heat, toes out. They rest of the time I ride normally with my foot comfortable until temps start heading below the 60s.

Here in southern AZ I could just stick each foot in a plastic baggie, or use outer waterproof slip on covers since we rarely get rain, and when we do, most of the time it's a passing cell. I just keep some baggies with my Frog Togs.

Since my feet are very comfortable in these boots, and I feel these particular models offer some of the best protection I can get without going into full race track boots, I bought a waterproof pair of these also to replace my 'Year Round” Gortex BMW boots. My BMW boots are more than adequate for our winter temps, and I plan on doing more summer time riding in New England or if that doesn't work out, riding to CCR 2013—almost made it to 2012.

By the way, these Air Out boots might have already paid for themselves. While riding the Devil's Highway into mountains in North East AZ, I pulled into a rest are to have a picnic lunch. The cement entry way ceased, leading to a dirt lot with small peas stones embedded into the dirt. Well, at least it looked like they were embedded into the dirt. It seems as if the earth was lower than the top of the cement road and that loose pea stones had accumulated there. I was going very slow, but not so slow that I had my feet out. As I noticed I was not sitting on my bike but was watching where I was looking to go horizontal to the ground, I hit the ground. As I hit, it registered that I must have dropped my LT and hung onto it? I tried turning my foot one direction to free it from under my LT—nope my LT was “resting?” on my foot? Well, some of my LT's weight was pinning my foot's toes down into the gravel. As I twisted my foot the other way, the gravel moved, allowing me to get my foot out. There was a neat short furrow where my front tire plowed through the loose gravel.

The tip over wing was buried in the gravel; my LT rested on her side with the rear wheel in the air. As you can see from the pix my new boot has a nice gouge in it. The boot was stiff enough to support my LT, and my ankle did not twist.

I don't know if my boot prevent damaging my foot. But, I'm sure glad I had them on. And, I feel a lot safer.

Oh. Before I forget. The reason why I finally bought summer boots was a fellow Lter mentioning he thought paying for the extra protection against ankle twist was a lot cheaper than paying a surgeon to repair ankle twist damage. Plus, he mentioned that his body just does not heal as fast as it used to.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 6:36 am

Re: Summer boots; waterproof boots

Shows the importance of good gear.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 8:47 am

Re: Summer boots; waterproof boots

Glad you had the right gear on and that you came out OK. Ankles are important!
I see in our parking lot at work what some riders wear on their feet...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in