How long should a BMW helmet last? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 1:34 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
How long should a BMW helmet last?

I've got a BMW system 4 helmet that I've had for between 3-4 years, and the interior is starting to fall apart... the foam padding is starting to disintegrate and the liner mateial is separating.
I always thought a helmet should be switched over every 5 years or so... but I expected a BMW helmet to last a lot more than 3-4 years. This is the only BMW helmet I've owned.
What's other peeps experience with BMW helmets and quality/longevity?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Re: How long should a BMW helmet last?

Helmets generally have a life span of 3-5 years. There are many factors that contribute to helmet life. Unfortunately it sounds like you are in need of a new helmet. In this case I think I am on firm ground when I say that BMW does not build their own helmets but rather rebrand an existing brand.

09 GSA
09 CRF 450 - my moto bike
11 Razor S - my all around fun toy
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 9:10 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Yeah, I guess its not really BMW but Schuberth. They sell replacement liners but at a cost...
Think I'll be looking into the Neotechs and similar, depending on what gets shipped to Australia to meet our compliance testing. It adds a huge cost to helmets bought here.

I've got a HJC full face that is still in good condition after about 7 years... I expected a bit more from a BMW branded product.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 3:54 am

Any warranty information concerning the helmet would be helpful.
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 10:16 am

Wink Re: How long should a BMW helmet last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
I've got a BMW system 4 helmet that I've had for between 3-4 years, and the interior is starting to fall apart... the foam padding is starting to disintegrate and the liner mateial is separating.
I always thought a helmet should be switched over every 5 years or so... but I expected a BMW helmet to last a lot more than 3-4 years. This is the only BMW helmet I've owned.
What's other peeps experience with BMW helmets and quality/longevity?
It all depends on many factors, How often do you ride and for how long, what are the temps during rifing, do you use a dew rag or skull cap between your head and helmet?

Different people have different sweat, some sweat is more caustic then others, mine will take the plating off of my eyeglasses, so I wear a silky and wash my helmet liner often with very mild dish soap to extend the life on my helmet, otherwise it breaks down in two years.

I would imagine you have more heat then we do here in Northern California, so taking care of your helmet would be of greater concern, just watch what you use for the cleaner, it must be as mild as possible not to affect the foam of the liners.

Just thought I would share what works for me. Your results may vary....grin.
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
I expected a BMW helmet to last a lot more than 3-4 years.
I think it has.

I replaced my System 4 with a System 5 in 2006.

Now riding with System 6.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 4:52 pm

Helmets are made to last only 5 years. I have an older Schuberth in which the interior fabric liner has gone into disintergration mode. It is flaking apart yielding black powder. I called Schuberth but they stated there is no replacement inside liner available.
So now I have a Schuberth paper weight.
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:05 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop
Helmets are made to last only 5 years. I have an older Schuberth in which the interior fabric liner has gone into disintergration mode. It is flaking apart yielding black powder. I called Schuberth but they stated there is no replacement inside liner available.
So now I have a Schuberth paper weight.
Same here but I refuse to . . . .
How about 25 years or in the neighborhood. Bought this back when I rode my goldwing. Did not use it much since the bike was gold/brown and already had the matching Shoei designed for the bike.
The mechanical design and integrity of this System BMW still stands up. But the styrofoam is separating from the shell, and the foam in the roof has long turned to bread crumbs. I think I wrote about this in another thread. When I really wanted to renew my acquaintance with BMW helmets and the C3 it was not sold in the US 2010. I could be wrong but I might have seen the system 6 at the time. So as I racked my brain I did the thing of urgency and settled for the Multi-tec.
Though I no longer use it(shelf ornament) everything else works I especially like the sturdiness of the metal locking cam and the outer shell design. What I did not like was needing both hands to unlock red side tabs and not enough vents. I never used the chin curtain so that in a box somewhere last I saw looked new. As far as lasting it has all been said before. How it is used and the temps perhaps more venting like todays lids and you got something. Year 4 for the Multitec and still going strong so I will see what's next.
ride safe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	37985   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	37986   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	37987   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	776
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	37988   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	37989  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in