Question on riding pants - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 26th, 2012, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Question on riding pants

I am fine for a short ride wearing jeans but on a longer ride the chaffing gets to be unbearable. I was looking at pants and they are not cheap. I have seen some at the BMW dealership and I am sure I can get some better priced and better quality then offered there. So, what do you guys recommend? Lots of manufacturers out there, any to stay away from or what to look for? I do 5-6 hour rides every couple of weeks and need something comfortable. I also wear chaps for protection; would they still be required with riding pants?

Thanks.

Bob
2011 K1600 GTL
Victoria, BC
Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 26th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Re: Question on riding pants

I went with the BMW Rallye Pro 3. Fit is great and they are comfortable for a 10 to 12 hour ride. Longest ride so far is 960 miles and other than a flat spot on my round spot not a problem. Kept me dry in the rain and warm in the low 40 degrees. In my opinion the cheaper suits are just that.. I had a cheap one from cycle gear that I bought before I tried the Rallye Pro, , just tossed it away.

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #3 of 13 Old May 26th, 2012, 10:04 pm

I wear Rallye 3 and Summer 2 pants. They're not cheap, but they're comfortable and they'll protect me in an off. Neither one is waterproof, though the R3 with the liner is.

Chaps do very well at preventing road rash, but do nothing to prevent impact injury. I say this having wrecked in chaps. Not a mark on me, but my kneecap shattered.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650

post #4 of 13 Old May 27th, 2012, 1:57 am

Garage

Throw away the chaps and check out Aerostich. Their gear is second to none IMO.
post #5 of 13 Old May 27th, 2012, 6:52 am

BMW ComfortShell pants for tricky weather and Summer3 pants (more cotton-feel than the Summer2 pants). Expensive... What to say... Yes, but excellent quality and with the knees and hip protection included, the difference becomes a lot smaller...

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
'06 BMW K1200LT (2011- ...)
'85 BMW R80GS (1989-2010)
'85 Yamaha XT 600 (1986-1987)
post #6 of 13 Old May 27th, 2012, 7:10 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I Like the OLYMPIA AIRGLIDE . They are very comfortable for all day use Plus they have good air flow. Also they come with a quilted liner that I've used down to 17 degrees. If I'm doing a ride with lots of stops I wear a pair of shorts under them so I can pull off the pants to walk around. They unzip all the way to your hip to make them easy to get off & on over your boots.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 13 Old May 27th, 2012, 7:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl57
BMW ComfortShell pants for tricky weather and Summer3 pants (more cotton-feel than the Summer2 pants). Expensive... What to say... Yes, but excellent quality and with the knees and hip protection included, the difference becomes a lot smaller...
I really want to like the Summer 3 pants, but the knee armor is much smaller than the Summer 2's.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #8 of 13 Old May 27th, 2012, 9:59 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I think maybe you need to look at a good under garment to help with what ever you choose for protection. I alway wear LD Comfort shorts under my air mesh riding pants and can go many days with no discomfort. Find them here

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old May 27th, 2012, 3:08 pm

+1 John,, I go as you till it gets hot (90) then I go with Boxers from Duluth trader in place of the LCD. For R T Es I wear Diamond Gusset
jeans with the Kavler knees and butt, they provide a good fit.
post #10 of 13 Old May 27th, 2012, 5:07 pm

For high quality with high prices I like Motoport. I have their Air Mesh Kevlar pants for long trips. They let all the air in so they are very cool with just LD comfort shorts underneath. You can also wear it as an over pant over regular pants but that would be bulky and hot. If I want warmth and rain protection I got the liner.

MCN just reviwed these pants and gave them very high ratings (4.5) but dinged them a half star for their cost.

For day rides I use their Kevlar Street Jeans.

The protection on these pants are unbelievable. I feel naked wearing anything else.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=29&Itemid=15

Art-----------------
2012 Triumph Street Triple R
2010 BMW RT
2001 H-D FXDX
post #11 of 13 Old May 28th, 2012, 11:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I think maybe you need to look at a good under garment to help with what ever you choose for protection. I alway wear LD Comfort shorts under my air mesh riding pants and can go many days with no discomfort. Find them here
I agree. Even with riding pants and jeans I would get a tad uncomfortable in areas and the not so obvious ones with normal underwear. Last year I bought a pair of Under Armor boxer briefs and they made a world of difference! They're even less expensive than LDC at about $30. After seeing from posts (here I think) I bought the Starter version of the UA ones at Walmart today for $9.50 a pair. But make sure you get the "Active-Pro Performance" that are packaged one pair in a box. The next level down is packaged 2 in a box for the same price but are 95% cotton with 5% spandex as opposed to 86% polyester and 14% spandex. I haven't tried the Starters yet but will next week. Some Walmarts have them in sporting goods and some in men's.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 6:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Train
I really want to like the Summer 3 pants, but the knee armor is much smaller than the Summer 2's.
Yes, it is smaller and softer. I use it for summer rides in the mountains, no high way long distance travel.
That reminds me of a remark I read some months ago: in the end we all have 2 or 3 outfits...

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
'06 BMW K1200LT (2011- ...)
'85 BMW R80GS (1989-2010)
'85 Yamaha XT 600 (1986-1987)
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 8:42 am

I just completed my first ride in new Klim Badlander jacket and pants. In addition to leather, I also have an Olympia and Revit mesh jacket and pants but really wanted the Gore-Tex to avoid liners or rain gear for an upcoming trip to Alaska.

So far: Pros--I find good air flow out the back exhausts, like the kidney belt, like the flexibility and softness of the d3o armor and like the overall appearance.

Cons -- not sure I like the gaiters/liners with thumb holes at the arms and dislike the overall stiffness (which I hope will break in). I wonder if there is a way to speed that process? Is initial stiffness just a characteristic of GoreTex fabric?

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in