Mesh Riding Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Mesh Riding Gear

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and want to say right up front that I am very happy to have found it (and, therefore, all of you). I have only been visiting the forum for a few days but I already appreciate very much the knowledge and comraderie that you all share. I am looking forward to being one of you.

I will soon be the new owner of a 2000 K1200LT and I am very excited about that! I once had a 1985 K100RT and although I liked it a lot, it was very hot in the summer. Back in those days I had a Hein Gericke leather jacket with (not enough) zippers that exposed an underlying mesh, but the fairing did not allow nearly enough wind through to me to force me to wear it in the summer.

I had the privilege of meeting Boatzo and his wife in person yesterday and he told me that it is possible to ride in the rain behind the windscreen of the LT and not get wet. Does this mean that the windscreen and fairing blocks the wind almost completely under normal riding conditions? Will the electric windscreen open a little to let more air in or does it merely change the height? I guess I am asking if the LT will be hot like the 100RT.

I have been researching the web about mesh riding gear and wonder if this would help. Do any of you wear it? If you do, what type strikes the best balance between protection and comfort in your opinion? I am 65 and old enough to appreciate my own mortality; I would prefer to ride safely with built-in armor protection as long as I don't have to do it on "London Broil" setting.

I would appreciate it if someone would point me to any discussion thread that might have already occured regarding mesh jackets and pants and I would also greatly appreciate your individual opinions or recommendations if this would be appropriate. Thank you.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Re: Mesh Riding Gear

I wear a mesh jacket and pants all summer. I live in Georgia were the summers get pretty hot and the mess gear is comfortable on the LT. I once did a low side slid on ashapht riding a GS while wearing this gear. The gear was torn up but I didn't get a scratch.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Welcome Bob,
I too am fairly new to the site and I agree, there is lots of knowledge represented here.

As far as your question goes, I will give you my experience...
About 3 years ago I went down at about 15-20 mph while wearing a well known polyester mesh jacket. I was unharmed but the jacket was no longer usable. The tumble on the pavement tore the arms pretty good. While looking for a replacement, I came across motoport kevlar mesh clothing. After reading the info on their website, I looked at my polyester mesh differently. I am lucky enough that I was able to go to the factory and take a little tour. I was able to look at clothing that was in for repair from wrecks at much higher speeds than I went down at. The worst damage I saw was from emt's scissors. In my opinion, if I had been wearing kevlar, there would have been no damage. I immediately ordered a full set. I have not been unfortunate enough to to test it but I am confident in the protection.

As far as comfort goes, It is hotter than my old mesh but cooler than leather or textile. It is a little stiff but not uncomfortably so.

Just my .02, good luck in your quest.

Be Blessed,
Steve

06 K1200LT in Ocean Mist.

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 5:45 pm

+1 on Motorport gear.

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Bob: Welcome. In town or at slower speeds you will find the LT a bit warm. For that matter any bike that provides that much protection from wind and rain can be a bit uncomfortable after 90*. I keep the side wings under the mirrors folded in and will stand up as needed to dissipate heat or stretch. A bead seat can keep air under your backside but for me after awhile it feels like your sitting on wood. (which you are). I have a mesh jacket that works very well. I have seen windshield vents on other bikes and if I find one that will fit mine its worth a try. I'm big on Home Depo farkles so if you pass an LT with a half moon vent in the windshield that looks like its meant for the gable end of an out house----that may be me. When it gets dangerously hot I have filled both "breast" pockets on my shirt with ice.This will drop your core temp dramatically but then the truckers start beeping at you. Hey, its nice to be noticed.
post #6 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 7:00 pm

I'll just comment on the not getting wet part. I don't find that at all. On the LT I get a strong back wash, you can easily feel it pushing on your back. What this means in rain is the water is thrown against your back and forward around you against the inside of the windshield, then it sprays back against you. In heavy rain I have to lower the shield completely so I can see over it because I get water on the outside of the shield, inside of the shield, and a misted spray on my helmet shield, too difficult to see through 3 sections of water droplets, safer to just look over the top looking through only a wet helmet shield.

I say this because it was so noticable to me compared to my VTX. On my X I ride looking just over the shield. When it rains I tucker down a bit and get behind it. The air is pretty neutral behind the shield, the console area and anything I have there stays pretty darn dry (unless I have to slow way down) and I don't get a misted helmet shield.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 10:49 pm

I've been riding with the BMW Motorrad AirFlow 3 pants and jacket for about 6 years. It has since been updated. I also sit on beads and stand up at times in city traffic. Below 75F at highway speeds, I need a to put on a long sleeve shirt to keep the chill off. Below 65F I put on my "Frogware" rain jacket and I'm good down to the 50's. It works well in the mid 90's with the sleeves unzipped at the wrists and the LT side vents turned in.

To date I've been able to avoid the many road test opportunities that we all are presented with daily.

Enjoy your new 2000 LT, I've been at it since Nov 99!!

Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #8 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2012, 11:29 pm
Sit

I only get wind on my back if my screen is up too far. I usually run it at a height that is pretty neutral for me, no wind pushing on my back and no wind blowing in my face.

I find the winglets on the bike do help, but I only turn one of them, seems to help move the air around me better this way. Both turned and it just causes turbulence for me.

As for mesh, wear it on short rides, to and from work. On long rides in the heat, wear my normal over pants over shorts or jeans. My mesh jacket has panels that unzip to expose the mesh, I keep it zipped up. The hot air passing over you at speed will dehydrate you very quickly. When it gets hot, like over 90, then I wear a cooling vest and open the mesh just a bit to get air in the jacket so the vest will work. Then as the vest drys out, I will open the vents more until I need to re-energize the vest.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #9 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 1:58 am

I wear mesh gear year round. Liners in the winter for rain protection and warmth and no liners in the summer. I ride in the rain A LOT! The only part of my jacket that gets wet is the shoulders. The vast majority of the rain goes over or around me. I also keep the windshield low so I can see over the top so I never get that "pushed from the back" feeling.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 7:39 am

I have the Tourmaster Flex jacket and love it. It's in 3 layers (outer rain shell, mesh jacket where armor resides and inner quilted liner) so if you are going to wear them all together, it takes a little time to assemble them if they are apart. It's the only drawback. I have worn it into the 30's and have been comfortable.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #11 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 11:52 am

[QUOTE=Enduro]I'll just comment on the not getting wet part. I don't find that at all. On the LT I get a strong back wash, you can easily feel it pushing on your back. What this means in rain is the water is thrown against your back and forward around you against the inside of the windshield, then it sprays back against you. In heavy rain I have to lower the shield completely so I can see over it because I get water on the outside of the shield, inside of the shield, and a misted spray on my helmet shield, too difficult to see through 3 sections of water droplets, safer to just look over the top looking through only a wet helmet shield. QUOTE]

If you are experiencing a pushing feeling on your back, your windshield is too high. Normal riding position for a windshield would be when you can just see over the top. I know that some people like to have a big protective shield in front of them when they ride, but it doesn't always provide the best envelope for air flow. The beauty of the LT is the adjustable windshield, you can set it for optimum positioning/airflow for speed and conditions. Rain is an issue for any rider of any bike. We don't have wipers, so stuff gets raindrops on it and makes it harder to see. By setting the windshield at optimum height/angle, you can reduce the amount of water you have to deal with while riding. While riding in the rain at times I will drop my windshield down to the lowest position which also gives it its greatest angle, which causes the raindrops to blow off quickly, giving me some increased visibility, at the same time the increased airflow to my helmet also blows off the drops on my visor...Kind of an air blast windshield wiper of sorts...Then back up for protection. The LT is the driest ride I've ever experienced on a motorcycle in the rain. Living in Washington State makes that a major plus. Oh and living out here in Western Washington, we only hope it gets hot enough to bake in our riding gear!!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 12:47 pm

I won't comment any more about what's been said above on h gear, other than to +1 on the Toumaster mesh jacket - I use it all the time in Summer. Newer ones have the liner on the outside and seem to be quite waterproof. The older ones have a liner you add to the inside, and in a rain soaked ride the water gets through. So the me nes are the bees knees although the Kevlar sounds interesting.

On whether you can ride without getting wet, that depends on hw hard it's raining. In a downpour, no way. I also own a VTX as does another poster above, and I would say that in light rain the LT is drier, in heavy rain I'd say they're about the same. In the end, get good quality gear and you'll be all set!

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #13 of 18 Old May 4th, 2012, 2:58 am

This is taken from my blog:

Jacket - I started with the full Tourmaster jacket with the winter liner. This jacket was just too hot for summer riding so I got the Tourmaster Intake. The Intake is a big system with two different liners - one for rain and the other for colder weather riding. After using that jacket for a number of years I decided to go with the BMW Airflow 4 jacket and Tourmaster Sentinel rain jacket to make the Airflow a 3 season jacket. The Airflow is expensive but very well made and it just hangs on you so well that you forget you are wearing it. Not nearly the air flow of the Intake but I think that is a good thing. I think too much air flow can dry you out faster than normal. The Airflow seems to manage the air going into the jacket very well. My record high with this jacket is 113 F.

The entire entry on stuff that works for me is here

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2012, 7:13 pm

+2 on the Motoport.

I have had their gear for 2+ years now and over 50K miles of riding in them and love them to death.

Living in FL it gets hot. I rode from Miami to Orlando 4 hours in 95+ heat and the mesh motoport gear kept me cool and safe..

I highly recomend that you visit the place in San Diego and maybe have them fit you while you are there.

Best of luck..

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #15 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:15 am

I recently completed a 3500 mile trip and rode through a lot of hot weather (maxing out at 115 degrees going through the Coachella Valley). A lot of days over 100 degrees up to 109.

I did not wear my Roadcrafter, nor my Olympia Steath (mesh) but instead rode with Rev'it Ignition 2 jacket and Gear 2 pants. That stuff is a hybrid leather/mesh and worked extremely well. I was hot but not sweaty -- kept the sun off and allowed moisture to escape very well. Drank a lot of water and Gatorade G2 frequently.

Good armor that wraps around the knees and elbows well. Leather at impact spots and strong, abrasion resistent, mesh elsewhere. I was pretty impressed.
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2012, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah
I recently completed a 3500 mile trip and rode through a lot of hot weather (maxing out at 115 degrees going through the Coachella Valley). A lot of days over 100 degrees up to 109.

I did not wear my Roadcrafter, nor my Olympia Steath (mesh) but instead rode with Rev'it Ignition 2 jacket and Gear 2 pants. That stuff is a hybrid leather/mesh and worked extremely well. I was hot but not sweaty -- kept the sun off and allowed moisture to escape very well. Drank a lot of water and Gatorade G2 frequently.

Good armor that wraps around the knees and elbows well. Leather at impact spots and strong, abrasion resistent, mesh elsewhere. I was pretty impressed.
I also have the Original Ignition Jacket and Gear Pant. I wnet with the Silver/Grey jacket to help with the heat (Of course the leather is still black) and while I cannot say enough positive about it, it is too warm for true summer wear. I also have a Rev'it Turbine Jacket and pant in gray which is better, but last year I bought a BMW Airshell Jacket (Signal Yellow) fantastic protection and losts of airflow. Also comes with a very good waterproof zip out insulated liner. Recentlt to compliment the Airshell I bought a pair of Rev'it tornado pants. The Tornado pant has very wide open mesh and flows a ton more air then the rev'it Gear or Trubine pant. The tornado has adjustable armor on the knees and substantial hip armor as well as full length zippers on the inside of the legs and a "Tour" fit. The Tornado pant also has waterproof insulated removeable liner.

I rode at 80 degrees a few days ago (Of course here in the Great Pacific Northwest we have been very cool so far this June) but I was totally comfortable, in fact maybe a hair cool.

I am riding an RT with a Cee Baily Sport Shield, which flows a lot more air then the stock screen!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2012, 4:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Can't speak to the gear but I have a K75RT same fairing as the K100 RT, those older bikes where like riding an oven, if you look around there are lots of threads for putting heat shields on the older 100 and 75 RT's to get relief from the heat. You wont experience that on the LT, The windshield goes low enough you can get a bit of a breeze and you can turn the side wing deflectors in to increase airflow as well.

Welcome to the Forum.

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #18 of 18 Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all. My first BMW was an '85 K100RT and I agree it was hot. I could not really escape the flow of heat on my thighs and crotch and did not wear any protective clothing in the summer for that reason. I used to pray for rain. I am older now and appreciate the need for protection, plus the K1200LT allows better air flow and the mesh is better than the leather I used to wear; still, I think about that K100 often.

Bob

"Duty is ours, consequences are God's" - Stonewall Jackson

"Government is supposed to protect us from each other, not from ourselves." - Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in