Rainsuits - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Rainsuits

Looking for recommendations on a rain suit.

We don't get much rain here in San Diego, but we're heading north in a couple of months for a week and I'm sure we'll run into rain. One friend has Frogg Toggs and loves them, another not so much. I'm sure there are other brands out there. Would love to hear what works or doesn't work for you.

Thanks,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Re: Rainsuits

I just road my recently purchased 08RT from Florida to Toronto and endured 2 solid days of heavy rain and high winds and never had a drop penetrate my rainsuit, only my hands got wet and cold. I hate to tell you but it was a cheap $18 suit from Walmart, smelled of vinyl and mothballs, when I arrived at U.,S. Customns to declare the bike border patrol declared "you smell like mothballs". I'll likely never use it again but it did work and it did stink.

r

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 9:37 pm

There are several different versions of the frogg toggs. That may be why there are differing opinions. We actually are using the "Harley" rain gear. Cost around $80. It has served us well for over 15 years. Not as packable as the toggs but we bought them before they were available. Many other choices out there but the toggs are probably the lowest cost.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Darian Lite pants (Aerostitch) and First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. Perfect gear for all but 90+ degree weather.... also keeps you dry. Been caught in some serious downpours and never gotten wet.

Lawrence

2010 R1200 RT
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:30 pm

Just got done riding from Long Beach to Rancho Bernardo on Saturday afternoon. Needless to say it was VERY wet all the way from Orange County on down. Had my Aerostich Darian jacket and pants, Aerostich overgloves, and hiking boots. Arrived home completely dry. I'm continually impressed by the outfit.

I've owned it since 2006 and use it daily for commuting in all weather. I recently had a leak in November and sent it back to Aerostich to renew the waterproofing and some minor repairs and upgrades. It's performing great.

I do own a First Gear mesh suit for some hot and humid conditions, but I rarely use it.

My preference is to be prepared for all weather, especially in CA, since it usually changes mid-ride. I like not having to pull over to adjust for differing conditions.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 2:10 am

I've used different outfits in my many years of riding. I am now using a Tourmaster Sentinel rain jacket. I use it to make my Summer riding jacket a 3 season jacket. It is also very easy on/off. The rain pants I carry are Olympia rain liners that are part of my Summer riding pants. The pants are also easy on/off because they have full length zippers on each leg. If I expect really bad stuff I also carry my one piece Triumph rain suit but if the 2 piece stuff does good I may phase out the Triumph outfit. I just started using the Tourmaster and Olympia gear this year but I have been very pleased the results so far.

My brother uses mostly BMW rain gear and he just purchased a new outfit recently. He has a review of the new outfit in the blog below. I rode the same two days in rain with the above gear and had zero problems.

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 6:28 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Frogg Toggs have always worked great for me.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Btw, Frogg Toggs are rather cheap at the Academy stores.

tsp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in