BMW Comfortshell - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By freetime

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:35 am Thread Starter

BMW Comfortshell

I have read that the Comfort shell is a summer jacket, because it has no liner for cold weather. Tell me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't just adding a few layers (or an electric liner like I'm talking about in my post about Gerbing) amount to the same? Take one size larger, and add warm clothes underneath. Or am I missing something?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Re: BMW Comfortshell

I asked for a 3 season jacket and that's what the shop proposed. But then, our swiss seasons are not so extreme as yours in Canada...
It wear it with a t-shirt from 55°F onwards, till at about 85-90°F, we don't often get warmer temps here. The venting at the chest and in the back is very effective. I've done some tours between 40 - 55°F with a fleece and it's ok..
All this behind the LT windshield...

For my 3-season conditions here in Switzerland, I can get around with the ComfortShell and an occasional (non-bmw) fleece liner...

If you would drive in colder conditions, why not the Streetguard3?

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
'06 BMW K1200LT (2011- ...)
'85 BMW R80GS (1989-2010)
'85 Yamaha XT 600 (1986-1987)
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

We actually ride three seasons here, in Montreal, because winters are, of course, much too cold anyway. But this year, I kept riding until Dec. 15th. And it was only because there is a law here that all vehicles must have winter tires between Dec. 15th. and March 15th. Otherwise, I think I could have ridden another week or so. But it is exceptional, and I usually put the bike away for winter more towards the end of November. I had some mornings at 0° C., and some entire days at 2 or 3 C.

I've been told the Streetguard 3 is heavy and stiff. I have not tried one, but I will. It's also very expensive. And I'd wear it only in spring and fall. So, I'm wondering if I could wear the Comfortshell almost during the whole season, except when it gets real hot (and it does get hot in Montreal sometimes), for which I have BMW Airflow 4.

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 8:18 pm

I have tried a lot of different clothes and combinations of clothes before settling on a Comfort Shell pants and coat with a gerbing heated liner. I ride a 07 RT12RT with heated seat and grips and I am very pleased with how it all works for me.
MNK1200RS likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The ComfortShell stuff works very well. I use a Warm & Safe heated jacket when it gets too cold, and open all the vents (and keep very hydrated) when it gets too warm.

Works for me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammam
I have read that the Comfort shell is a summer jacket, because it has no liner for cold weather. Tell me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't just adding a few layers (or an electric liner like I'm talking about in my post about Gerbing) amount to the same? Take one size larger, and add warm clothes underneath. Or am I missing something?

Thank you.
I bought the Comfortshell suits for my wife and I in the Fall for a trip from Virginia to Arizona. We were looking primarily for exterior waterproofing, so we wouldn't have to stop and put on rain suits if we ran into some. We looked at several other types of suits and narrowed it down to the Comfortshell, Streetguard and the Olympia AST. We started to hear about the AST leaking, so ruled that one out, which was a disappointment as we have their perforated jacket and pants for summer riding and are impressed with that.

The Streetguard was quite bulky and stiff. I'm sure it would break in well over time, but it just seemed to be more than we really needed, and I didn't think it would work well into warmer weather, like the Comfortshell. I came to question my decision.

We found the Comfortshell very well made, easy to wear for the most part and completely waterproof, although we didn't get any real heavy rain. It took some doing to convince myself to put out almost $3K for both suits, but I did it. While I do love having my wife ride with me, on her own motorcycle, it doubles the cost of everything.

We wore it as you are thinking, with Gerbings electric liners underneath. A couple of comments on that. I bought the Comfortshell pants to fit me without any pants under them, with just long (or short) underwear. That may have been a mistake, at least in the case of the electric liner. Wife did the same and found the same issue. We found that the suit actually wore a sore on our knees, mine less than hers. It was much more pronounced with the liner underneath, to the point that she was getting ready to remove the armor from the knee area. I don't know if it was the stiffness of the armor or having the heated liner underneath, but it was a real distraction. It was ~3K miles, done over 4 days. The first day was an Iron Butt SS (1K miles), second day was ~600 miles (BB), then we slowed down for the last 2 days.

To give the suit it's due, when we left VA was the first time we wore them riding, other than to bring them home from our dealer, so they were not broken in. Haven't had them on since early November, as we left our motorcycles in AZ for the winter. We'll be out there in early March for a week and will use them then, then again when we ride them back to VA in early May.

In short, love the Comfortshell suit so far. Also, love the Gerbings electric liners. If you get the Gerbings stuff, go for the new micro wire. I had those for the pants and an older jacket liner. The pants heated up much faster, although they do develop "hot spots", which I think is just because they are liners and fitted under something else. It was cold enough on that trip that we used the liners all but the last day, and really wished I had put them on for part of that day as well. I also questioned my decision not to get the Streetguard, but that was just the weather we happened to run into. I think over time the Comfortshell suit will prove to be a wise decision.

Jamie

2012 K1600 GTL (Metallic Silver)
2010 K1300 GT (Blue) Her's

post #7 of 9 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 7:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My wife and I both have the Comfort Shell and couldn't be happier. We use Gerbings electric liners when the temp goes below 50 degrees and have remained comfortable down to 19 degrees. Between 50 and 80 we pair the jacket with those Schoeller Phase Change shirts that BMW sells. Very comfortable.

The suit is VERY waterproof...the most waterproof riding suit I've ever owned (an important feature in the Pacific Northwet). We've ridden in downpours and stayed totally dry...including NO leakage in the crotch area where most suits will eventually let water in.

The jacket is well ventilated and with all vents open stays pretty comfortable in 90 degree weather. My only complaint would be the pants can be pretty uncomfortable in hot temperatures. I wish there were some leg vents.

Overall, I would definitely purchase them again. Of course, being BMW, they are RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 4:39 am

+1 for the ComfortShell... although I am basically a 3-season-rider and our riding conditions over here a not so extreme as on your side of the pond.

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 4:20 am

The ComfortShell is "discontinued" in 2012. The model replacing it is called TourShell. The tissue has changed, it is a bit less rigid.
Maybe it's the time to do a bargain...

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in