Gerbing's jacket liner vs. Warm & Safe liner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 1:43 am Thread Starter

Question Gerbing's jacket liner vs. Warm & Safe liner

I recently upgraded from the BMW heated vest to a Gerbing's jacket liner, and I'm really impressed. Then I went to HeatTroller.com and bought the portable dual controller for my new outfit (jacket & gloves / pants & socks). Now I see that Heat Troller is making jacket liners that just may be better than the Gerbing's liners. (Cheaper and more watts.)

Any comments from the peanut gallery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 2:02 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Got one. In fact, I just hard-wired in my Heat-Troller today. The jacket worked well for an extended run at 30 degrees (lowest I've found so far). The advantage is that here are stretch panels sewn in to the arms and body for a better fit (more heat transferred). I've never tried a Gerbings so I can't compare.

I'm sure I'll get to test it out further over the next few weeks.

Since Warm-n-Safe is local, I went down to their place and got fitted. They're also working on a heated leather glove that includes some knuckle armor, and heated pants made form a stretchy fabric all over. No idea when to expect them though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 5:55 am

I am reluctant to say more at this time butt, I hope you do not have to seek a warranty replacement of the warm and safe controller.

Mike
IBA #433

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 6:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
I am reluctant to say more at this time butt, I hope you do not have to seek a warranty replacement of the warm and safe controller.

Heat troller used to make Gerbings heat controllers, (they are now made in china I think) anyhow I have heard nothing but good about heat troller, we have two of them that have never gone bad , hope things work out and keep us posted because the next time the gerbing heat troller fails (this is the third one now)I was thinking of going to the real deal Heat Troller for my set.

I know sounds a litlte strange but we have three sets of gerbings in this family. I'm the only one that has the actual gerbing controller and the only one that has had problems with the controller

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 6:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
I email'ed back & forth with Mike Coan before purchasing my controller. He was nothing less than extremely helpful. I have a hard time believing that I'd have a warranty issue down the road. Sorry to hear of your issues.

I might suggest to you telling Mike that you're part of an 8000-member online forum, and you'd really like to NOT have to say bad things about Heat Troller to the forum. If you know what I mean? There's strength in numbers. Use "the force" Luke.
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 6:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Got one. In fact, I just hard-wired in my Heat-Troller today. The jacket worked well for an extended run at 30 degrees (lowest I've found so far). The advantage is that here are stretch panels sewn in to the arms and body for a better fit (more heat transferred). I've never tried a Gerbings so I can't compare. [snip] They're also working on a heated leather glove that includes some knuckle armor, and heated pants made form a stretchy fabric all over. No idea when to expect them though.
I think I can get as much for my Gerbing's liner on eBay to pay for the Warm & Safe liner. Sounds great. I'll also be looking to upgrade to their pants liners once they're made available.
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 9:07 am

Warm& Safe along with the controllers are sold by one of our vendors here - Raffy - Your not going to get better service any where else.....

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Warm& Safe along with the controllers are sold by one of our vendors here - Raffy - Your not going to get better service any where else.....
Argh! I'll order my jacket from him...I didn't realize he carried that stuff.
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 1:34 pm

I have a jacket liner that is approximtely five years when I just noticed a few weeks ago that the left glove was not heating a good as it use to. A couple of days later I found out why, while putting on my coat, I pulled the connector completely off where it plugs into the glove. I contacted Gerbing who told me to mail it back to them. I also wrote a note to them to extend both sleeve cables by two inches, since I was always pulling on them when putting on my coat. A week later I received the liner back from them with everything covered under their warranty. A GREAT company to deal with!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
Heat troller used to make Gerbings heat controllers, (they are now made in china I think) anyhow I have heard nothing but good about heat troller, we have two of them that have never gone bad , hope things work out and keep us posted because the next time the gerbing heat troller fails (this is the third one now)I was thinking of going to the real deal Heat Troller for my set.

I know sounds a litlte strange but we have three sets of gerbings in this family. I'm the only one that has the actual gerbing controller and the only one that has had problems with the controller

Tom
Tom,
I am somewhat confused by your comments. Are you saying that the previously two failed controllers were made by Warm and Safe (when they were made by Warm and Safe for Gerbing)? Or do you know who made the controllers that failed?

Mike
IBA #433
post #11 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I email'ed back & forth with Mike Coan before purchasing my controller. He was nothing less than extremely helpful. I have a hard time believing that I'd have a warranty issue down the road. Sorry to hear of your issues.

I might suggest to you telling Mike that you're part of an 8000-member online forum, and you'd really like to NOT have to say bad things about Heat Troller to the forum. If you know what I mean? There's strength in numbers. Use "the force" Luke.
Uh huh, I have a stack of emails from him too, butt thats all I have. I have your PM and I will respond shortly. So far I dont believe I have said any thing bad about Warm and Safe and frankly thats not my intent.
Pointing out to a vendor the possibility of multiple sales to receive a better price by using the strength of numbers card is one thing butt I dont think I should have to use it as intimidation to have a vendor honor a warranty claim.

Mike
IBA #433
post #12 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 8:09 pm

I found an eBay store that offered Warm 'n Safe liners at a bit of a discount, so I posted a query about their jacket liner. As I recall, no one had anything negative to say about Warm 'n Safe, but several members reported good experiences with Gerbings, and suggested I not try to save a few dollars (about forty, actually).

I ended up buying a Gerbings liner from my local dealer, Touring Sport BMW. That let me try on a couple of sizes, and I'm pretty happy with the product. Came in handy today riding to Atlanta and back.

I did order the permanent mount single Warm 'n Safe controller from the eBay vendor. I didn't know at the time that Raffy sold this brand.

I visited the Gerbings display at the Atlanta show today. Finally got to see the new gloves close up. Pretty nice, but no armor.
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:14 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

The ones from eBay are irregular. Cosmetically.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #14 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Question

Raffy,

Would you mind sharing with me (publicly or privately) your thoughts regarding Warm and Safe's gear, and customer support? I bought their controller last week, and used it for a whole whopping 2 hours. Absolutely love it. So that's got me wondering how I would like their jacket liner over my Gerbing's.
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:51 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

No need to go private. You know me by now. I won't carry a product line I have not used.

I used it in Death Valley. I forgot my heattroller home on the way out (poor planning on my part). So I plugged in directly to the battery and kept it plugged unless I got off the bike. Temps got down to 36 maybe 34 and the jacket kept me warm throughout the ride. I did 500+ miles that day and temps were between the low mentioned above to mid 50s. Turned the unit off when it got to 48 degrees or so.

This is my third heated jacket/vest. The first was BMW and I could not get it to heat my back. The second was Gerbing. It was a bit large (but it was on clearance). I used it a couple of tmes and then sold it to one of the list members here. It worked well. Just like Warm and Safe's fit better.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in