Pin lock visors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Pin lock visors

Anyone have experience with these?

I'm collecting info to help me choose a new helmet. I'm looking at simelar models, one with a pinlock visor and one without. One option is to buy the one without and then buy a replacement visor that is pin-lock ready.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Pin lock visors

The Schuberth C3 has a Pinlock shield. It flat works. You can see the shield outside the Pinlock area fogged right up, but the viewing area remains clear.

I've also used a similar Fog City shield that does the same thing, but without the Pinlock attachment points. That worked very well, too, although you had to be more careful about installing it in the right place.

Those shields lasted about one winter before occasional cleaning caused a number of minute scratches that reflected light and made you want to change them.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 8:37 am

Pinlocks last longer than that for me. They are the best fog preventer without a doubt but remember that if you wear glasses your glasses may still fog when the pinlock does not.so you might want one of the prducts designed to slow fogging on those as well.

If you have really sharp vision you may notice that pinlocks fuzz the image by a barely discernible amount but if your vision is less than perfect you my never notice that.

My go-to shield is a gradient one with pinlock. I use light smoke or metalized in very bright sun, sometimes with brown polarized sunglasses behind them- no pinlocks needed in those conditions. Also have a clear with pinlock- it gets used the least.. Got a Nolan 103 with sunscrren built i- lousy helemet and bad sunscreen shape- not recommended. My preferred helemets are all Shoei.

post #4 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 11:46 am

I have a new Arai, it came with the pinlock clear overlay.

Rode in low 30's the other day, couldn't get it to fog even though I was breathing like an exhausted St. Bernard.

My dark visor without the pinlock fogs under the same conditions (until I get moving and the air vents take care of that), and every other face shield did as well--the Scorpion was probably the best, Bell the worst.

Highly recommend.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #5 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Bob,
Had a Pinlock in a couple of helmets and it worked great until.... Eventually moisture was able to get between the shield and the Pinlock insert. This wound up being worse than having no insert. I have since switched to using a Progrip insert and like it better. I really like the light sensitivity of the Progrip insert; not dramatic, but helpful. And once installed, there's no chance of any moisture getting between the shield and the insert

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #6 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 4:42 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I'm on my third pin lock visor on my Shoei & other than having to keep the insert tight they work very well for me down to about 15 degrees. Below 15 degrees they seem to frost up on me.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 5:39 pm

I bought a replacement Shoei pinlock shield for the standard/provided shield on my Shoei Multitec. The pinlock worked well for several months, then for some reason it lost the seal against the inside of the shield. Iron Pony (local m/c retailer) replaced it at no charge.

I rely heavily on the pinlock shield, so whatever it cost it was a good move.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2012, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks for the time everyone took to help me out with information.

I see on the Pin Lock site that thyey have come out with a better insert but the visor has to be make for the inproved one.

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #9 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:39 am

Pinlock works okay, but you get distortions, especially at nigh, and especially of you wear spectacles.
post #10 of 20 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 1:31 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I bought a replacement Shoei pinlock shield for the standard/provided shield on my Shoei Multitec. The pinlock worked well for several months, then for some reason it lost the seal against the inside of the shield. Iron Pony (local m/c retailer) replaced it at no charge.

I rely heavily on the pinlock shield, so whatever it cost it was a good move.
I have a Shoei Multitech and the pinlock also lost its seal - it started to fog up. I asked about it at the local shop. It turned out the pins had come a little loose so it was no longer holding the shield tight against the visor. They gave me a little tool to tighten the pinlock & adjust the visor.

I find pinlock works perfectly as it creates mini double glazing for the visor. I certainly would not consider purchasing a helmet without a pinlock installed.

Incidentally I have not noticed any distortions, and I wear glasses. if the visor & pinlock shield are scratch free then it should be free from problems.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #11 of 20 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

^Thanks for the info re distortion with glasses.

Best from Tucson
Bob

post #12 of 20 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 1:08 pm

+1 Pinlock!

You are not supposed to use a PINLOCK at night. Daytime only.

I wear glasses, no distortion!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #13 of 20 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 7:13 pm

I have not installed the pinlock on my new Shoei Neotec because it said not to wear it at night. But, aren't they complicated to take on and off? I guess I will wait to see if fogging is a problem for the way I will ride, and then make a decision about attaching it.

Bob
post #14 of 20 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 7:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAviator
I have not installed the pinlock on my new Shoei Neotec because it said not to wear it at night. But, aren't they complicated to take on and off? I guess I will wait to see if fogging is a problem for the way I will ride, and then make a decision about attaching it.

Bob
Actually pretty easy. You neeed to take shield off the helmet, put it face down on something very soft, like a cotton towel. Insert one notch of the pinlock insert into the pin. Be sure the pins have the points pointing toward the center of the shield.

Flatten the shield out as much as possible and slide the opposite side into the pin. Gently let the shiled come back to it's normal curvature and you've got it. Removal is ther reverse!

Another option (My choice) I have 2 clear shileds, one with Pinlock one without!

Shoei shields are very easy to change.

Last edited by Atomicman; Apr 3rd, 2012 at 8:15 pm.
post #15 of 20 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 8:01 pm

seem to take for ever to get one, now I don't know how or why I went without one in winter. once it got warmer, I went back to standard shields.
post #16 of 20 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 8:28 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
+1 Pinlock!

You are not supposed to use a PINLOCK at night. Daytime only.

I wear glasses, no distortion!
The clear pinlock works just fine in the dark (when most fogging occurs) I even e-mailed them when I installed my first one to ask if they meant just the tinted colors. I never did get a reply.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #17 of 20 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
The clear pinlock works just fine in the dark (when most fogging occurs) I even e-mailed them when I installed my first one to ask if they meant just the tinted colors. I never did get a reply.
Nope, Clear, is pretty bad. Creates Halos and diffusion of light. Just not optically clear enough for night IMHO and apparatnly Pinlock agrees!

post #18 of 20 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:08 pm

Previous poster is correct. You will get some haloing effect and some second images. Don't care as they are easy to ignore.

As far as the pinlock visor goes? After using it I don't think I could do without one. They work at least as well as any thing you could buy for comfort and safety.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #19 of 20 Old Apr 4th, 2012, 2:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Previous poster is correct. You will get some haloing effect and some second images. Don't care as they are easy to ignore.

As far as the pinlock visor goes? After using it I don't think I could do without one. They work at least as well as any thing you could buy for comfort and safety.

Loren
Don't get me wrong, I love the Pinlock, but riding at night is dangerous enough, I don't need no stinkin' halos or shadows to make it worse.

post #20 of 20 Old May 4th, 2012, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
Nope, Clear, is pretty bad. Creates Halos and diffusion of light. Just not optically clear enough for night IMHO and apparatnly Pinlock agrees!
Pinlocks does prevent fogging, yes. But at night you get halos, ghosts, reflexions... you name it. And if you wear glasses, like I do, watch out! My new Shoei Neotec came with a Pinlock insert, and a warning: źDo not use the Pinlock at night.╗ Wait a minute! Am I supposed to go through the hassle of removing the Pinlock at sundown, and put it back at sunrise every day? Something does not add up here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in