Clothing, fashion and security. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Clothing, fashion and security.

Having bought an LT last September and only after some 2'000km till now, I'm still in the process of 'establishing my driving policy'. I like to think of me as a cautious and alert driver. My security is important for me. To see and to be seen is important for me. I bought a ComfortShell Jacket and Pants and the high-viz C6 helmet. Due to the rather high LT top trunk, I thought that my helmet is more visible than my back seen from behind, hence the high-viz helmet.

When perusing for clothing, I often start from the BMW website. I also look at other clothing manufacturers' websites, such as Aerostich and some european brands.
I'm sure that the top brands, while each having its proper style, all offer very good quality clothing, weather protection and armor security wise.

This afternoon, I stumbled upon Motoport. I was happily surprised by the possibility to have optional add-ons such as more reflectives, ID pockets, but mostly by the Emergency Info Pocket on the Shoulder. Emergency Information for if you crash and are unconscious; name, address, blood type, emergency contact info, medication info such as anticoagulants, diabetes, etc. can be put on a plastic card for quick access for the paramedics or doctor. They use a bright red Stretch Kevlar panel sewn on top of the right shoulder, shut with a strong Velcro closure and with a pull tab for quick access. If youre laying on your back or front side, this pocket can still be seen.
I have all this info somewhere in my wallet... which might be, in case of an accident, too late for me.

As far as I know, this is the only brand offering these kind of items. I would appreciate to be able to customize my jacket with some reflective stripes, or even more to have the Emergency Info Pocket.

Why don't other brands offer this customizing options?
Do we all care too much for our 'nice looks' on the bike?
How do you carry all your personal emergency information?
If I could get only this Emergency Info Pocket from Motoport, I would order it and have it sewn on my BMW jacket...

Any comments?

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
'06 BMW K1200LT (2011- ...)
'85 BMW R80GS (1989-2010)
'85 Yamaha XT 600 (1986-1987)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 8:54 pm

Smile Re: Clothing, fashion and security.

Look a little further into Aerostich. All their clothing, Darien, roadcrater, are completely custom made. With all the "gadgets" they have you could carry the kitchen sink, be safe and glow in the dark. IMHO. They also have sewn in emergency info you can add. Love my Darien by the way.
Good luck in your search.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 5:31 am Thread Starter

Re: Clothing, fashion and security.

Thanks Zeke!
As someone said, we all end up with 3 outfits. I only have one at the moment, so I have a long way to go...

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 5:56 am

Medical Data System for your helmet:

http://www.meds.org/mcyclehelmet.php

This is something that I have on not only my motorcycle helmet, but other sports helmets too. It's a very simple vinyl pocket with a card for emergency medical information.

I ordered these by the dozen and given them to friends.

Slight hijack- Just a thought on being more visible:

I think that a big part of the visibility problem / concern on a motorcycle is not that the other motorist doesen'tt see the motorcycle; its that he doesen'tt recognize it and take action in time.

What I mean buy this is that the eye does physically see the motorcycle, The picture is on the brain. His brain just doesen'tt recognize it in time to take action either way. Action being to not pull out or over or action to stop. All of the lights in the world wont make much of a difference.

It is the same as someone in a car driving into a train. How can that happen? The train is so big and so loud!

The motorist brain did see the train. It just wasen'tt recognized in time to take action. It was not expected so it was not there.

My point is that no matter how many lights you add to your bike, YOU have to be the one to be ready to take the action. Dont expect the other motorist to avoid you or stop for your lights.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Medical Data System for your helmet:
http://www.meds.org/mcyclehelmet.php
This seems a very simple and easy to use item which can be a remarkable tool in case of emergency.

Quote:

I think that a big part of the visibility problem / concern on a motorcycle is not that the other motorist doesen'tt see the motorcycle; its that he doesen'tt recognize it and take action in time.

What I mean buy this is that the eye does physically see the motorcycle, The picture is on the brain. His brain just doesen'tt recognize it in time to take action either way. Action being to not pull out or over or action to stop. All of the lights in the world wont make much of a difference.

It is the same as someone in a car driving into a train. How can that happen? The train is so big and so loud!

The motorist brain did see the train. It just wasen'tt recognized in time to take action. It was not expected so it was not there.

My point is that no matter how many lights you add to your bike, YOU have to be the one to be ready to take the action. Dont expect the other motorist to avoid you or stop for your lights.
You are right here, I have no problem with your little hijack.
I maybe over-emphasized the 'to be seen' aspect because I was wondering about the sleek, well-cut BMW clothing which make us look like 'nice guys' but without consideration for the elementary notion to inform on life essential data in case of emergency.

Regards
Paul

I just ordered the Emergency Info Pocket from Motoport

Have a nice day!
Paul
---------
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:26 pm

Quote:

This is a really important point. When I got hit in November I was on a bright red, 8' long, 900 pound Harley with aftermarket pipes and a ton of high-quality aftermarket LED lighting. The dimwit who hit me had the audacity to say that he never saw me, even though I was screaming at the top of my lungs and on the horn (a Stebel) when he hit me.

No amount of gear, lighting, or other foofery is going to insure that some bonehead who's cruising on autopilot is going to see or hear you. You literally have to ride as though everyone is out to kill you.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in