Teknic Freeway Jacket 2012 edition - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 14th, 2012, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Teknic Freeway Jacket 2012 edition

With my beloved FXRG leather jacket destroyed in the wreck, I needed to find myself another spring/fall jacket. The dead of winter is covered with my Gerbing's Extreme Element jacket and over pants, the summer with a Cortech GX Air Series 2. What I needed was something that would work when it's 40 degrees on the commute in to work just as well as it would work when it's 65 or 70 on the commute home from work. Something waterproof would be nice too. And not black, as I don't want to cook when the sun's out.

I did a lot of research, and kept hearing good things about the Freeway. Reasonably priced, waterproof, vents well, warm with the liner, looks decent, plenty of pockets....and a helluva lot cheaper than the BMW-branded stuff I was looking at, as well as other third-party jackets. I got a good deal on one at the IMS today, so I picked one up.

It's got more pockets than I'll ever use. The hand warmer pockets are lined with a fleece-like material. Most of the zippers have garages, and they all appear to be the fancy-schmancy waterproof type. The main zipper isn't waterproof, though it's offset from a waterproof one underneath. Teknic calls the length 2/3, and I'd say that's about right, though the back of the jacket is longer to accommodate the forward-lean of a sport bike. There are vents at the bicep and just in front of the underarm. They're smaller than I'd have thought, but I guess that's to maintain the waterproofity. There's a zip-off storm collar as well, and the from closes with magnets rather than velcro or snaps.....A nice touch.

Not much to say about the back, other than I would have preferred more reflective material. There's an exhaust vent at the top of the jacket, with a snap to hold the thing open. There's another huge pocket at the base of the jacket. Without exaggeration, I think I could pack everything I needed for a long weekend in this jacket. One other major plus is the Knox armor in the shoulders, the elbows, and the back (rather than the usual piece of foam).

The fit is pretty good. I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, 200 pounds. My arms are longer than average, and I have relatively wide shoulders. I'm still a little out of shape as I'm still recuperating from the wreck, but we're talking a matter of 10 pounds or so. A 44 fit very snugly, and pulled across the shoulders when I stuck my arms out into riding position, without the liner that was about perfect for me. The 46 gives me room to layer under the liner (sweatshirt or Gerbing's liner), and can be cinched tight with 4 velcro body adjusters, as well as 4 arm snaps (1 on each bicep, 1 on each forearm).

One other major plus is the Knox armor in the shoulders, the elbows, and the back.

I probably won't ride with it until next weekend, but I'll follow up then.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2012, 12:17 am

Re: Teknic Freeway Jacket 2012 edition

That looks like a great jacket! Where did you pick it up and how much?
FD
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2012, 6:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog
That looks like a great jacket! Where did you pick it up and how much?
FD
Got it from the OP Motorsports kiosk at the DC Motorcycle Show for $330. Motorcycle Superstore and Revzilla look like they have them in stock for $360.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 19th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Saw the videos for that jacket when they were still in pre-order stages and was impressed with the new innovations. I can't wait for a full on review.
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

Rode a bit today on my naked Softail in 25 degree weather. The Freeway performed beautifully. With a t-shirt and sweatshirt underneath, my arms and torso were toasty warm. There was no air leakage through the vent's zippers, and the sleeve cuffs fit easily inside of my Kelvin gloves.

I'm really pleased with it.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 8:29 pm

thanks for the info, gonna have to check them out myself

GO HOGS!

2010 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in