Source for children's gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2012, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Source for children's gear

I'm going to start taking my 10 year old daughter along on short rides and I want to make sure she's wearing proper gear. Can anyone recommend a website that has a decent selection for kids? I'm going to hit the local cyclegear store today, but judging from previous disappointing experiences, I don't expect to find her size there.

Thanks!

Andy in Cary, NC

1999 BMW K1200LT (Yellow! (formerly champagne))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Re: Source for children's gear

It's probably been close to two years ago, but I found my now 10 year old son a Tourmaster youth jacket at Competion Accessories in Rock Hill, SC. I think it was $115.00. If you make a purchase in store or online and they ship it, you don't pay sales tax and anything over $100 (I think) ships for free. We also found that a small Nolan N102 fit his head pretty well. He didn't ride with me very much until this fall. Once he started wanting to ride more, I searched everywhere for youth armored pants. They were not to be found. We decided to ride to Competion Accessories to check out a pair of women's black pants that I thought might fit everywhere and be a little shorter than the men's. Size 6 was too small and 8 was too long. We wandered around the store looking for something in men's small. We went to the clearance area and there were a pair of men's small Fieldsheer pants. I had Jason try them on. They were a little big, but the waist cinched tight enough to stay up. They are a little on the long side, but they work. Knee armor is over his knees.

Rock Hill, SC is a little more that just across the street from Raleigh, but it might be worth a look here --> http://www.compacc.com/ or maybe even taking a day trip. I don't have any interest in Competition Accessories. I've bought a few things from them and like the store.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2012, 7:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the lead, Lee! My wife and I stopped by Cycle Gear in Garner, NC today and found a women's jacket in size XS which appears to be about the right size. It's also pink, so that should assure a perfect fit. She'll get it for her birthday. We'll see if it fits then.

I really doubt whether the women's pants we found would fit her. I think the knee armor would be way too low. They also had strap-on knee and shin guards. That might be an option in a pinch. We'll keep looking.

Andy in Cary, NC

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 8th, 2012, 9:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

You should take a look at womens Olympia pants. My wife is only 5'1" and had a hard time finding pants that fit. On the side of the Olympia's the zippers don't go all the way to the bottom. The last 6" or so have velcro and we took her's to our dry cleaner and them shortened them.

I think this is the style, Ladie's Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Pant.

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Chuck - that looks like a great pant! I don't know if your wife's have this feature, but the Ladies Airglide 3 Mesh Tech Over Pant even let you adjust the location of the knee pad. Presumably that's the newer model.

Thanks!
Andy

Andy in Cary, NC

post #6 of 8 Old Jan 8th, 2012, 12:07 pm

I have a pair of Xsmall bright red Joe Rocket ballistics pants that my son wore years ago that are in very good shape and yours for the asking.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 12:54 pm

These are in the UK but they are helpful and have a good range. http://www.babybiker.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 26th, 2012, 2:42 am

Garage

Assuming you do not have friends who have out grown bikers kit? (Our handed down jacket went to a friends child.)

You could always try E-bay. Frequesntly in the UK / European site there is clothing and the costs are not too ridiculous. However I cannot speak of any experiences. We have always been lucky in finding adequate kit for our kids. (Sales / Friends etc!)

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in