Heated Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Heated Gear

I'm riding a R1200R in AZ (an almost naked bike) and am looking into buying some heated gear. Right now everything I've read on this forum and others seems to prefer Gerbings over the other brands that are out there. My thoughts are to purchase the jacket instead of the vest and also a set of glove liners. I'm thinking in can do without the pants and boot liners or socks at least for now. Any thoughts or experiences?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 9:45 am

Re: Heated Gear

As I do not have an R bike, I can only give you some advice, buy the jacket, if you can, get the multi controller, that way if you find you need to add on pants etc, you already have the controller for it.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 9:47 am

I use the tour master jacket and gloves and they work great. Before I got my RT I was riding an 07 Honda Interceptor so it was a necessity.

Hope this helps,

JJ

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:02 am

I have an older (5 years old?) Gerbing's jacket liner, gloves, glove liners, pant liner, and socks ... my wife has the same. To control all of that,we use Heat-Tollers by Warm & Safe. I absolutely LOVE my gear ... and the newer stuff is even better, so I hear/read. By "newer stuff", I mean anything made using "microwire" or wire mesh ... instead the larger wires that run through me gear. The older stuff does tend to have a few hot spots, although it doesn't bother me. But I read that the newer stuff is a much more even heat.

As for my recommendations ... Don't waste your money on a vest. BTDT. Your first two purchases should be a jacket liner and a dual-controller. Then you can add gloves from there. I prefer my gloves over my glove liners most of the time. But the newer glove liners may be more comfortable.

Another little side note, Gerbing's now carries heated insoles rather than socks. I hear this is the way to go. My sock are great while I'm riding, but they get rather uncomfortable if I need to walk any distance when I get off the bike.

Hope this helps.

- Joe
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:15 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I've ridden overnight and through extreme cold more times than I can count. They key is to wear good quality over-gear that blocks most of the wind, and also run a good quality heated gear to keep your core warm. I've ridden across Atlanta at 16, and ridden down near freezing for hours on end and been plenty comfortable, even with the heated gear at less than full-on.

I prefer the Warm & Safe heated gear over all the other brands. The Warm & Safe heated jackets have stretch panels built in so they snug up and fit you better, which is important for effective heat transfer. The front panels are wind-proof, which helps to keep the chill down, and the rear panels are breathable, so you don't sweat out.

Do get a jacket over a vest, as your arms are out in the breeze and keeping them warm is important. The only reasons to get a vest are that they pack slightly smaller, and they use less power if you have limited alternator capacity (neither is really a problem on BMWs).

I also much prefer the Warm & Safe Heat-troller controller. It is easy to use, efficient, and quite bulletproof. I'm running a Dual controller which controls my jacket and pants separately. Warm & Safe now offers Remote (wireless) controllers, but my wired version works just fine so I haven't played with those yet.

The pants are nice if you do long miles in extreme cold, but the jacket will do most of the work in keeping your core warm. And you can always add the pants later if you find that you need them. I do carry the pants with, but only use them if it's very cold, or if I'll be riding many hours in the cold.

Heated gloves are good too, but heated grips help, as do some guards that block most of the wind from your hands. You can see if the GS hand guards will fit your R-bike. My GT is fully-faired, plus I'm using the AeroGards which block most of the wind from my hands, so I find that I can get away with heated grips and gloves lined with Outlast material, which helps to spread the heat from the grips all across my hands.

Heated glove liners are nice, but they do have some bulk, so you have to buy larger gloves to fit over them. In that case, you might as well just go with good quality heated gloves.

I hope that helps some.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:32 am

Everyone is different,but my preferred combination is a Gerbing Jacket liner covered by a light weight fleece jacket.... very flexible and warm. I also use Gerbing glove liners due to my hands not working well and needing the flexibility. If it is below 32 I cover those with some short fleece mittens that my lovely wife made me from a pattern on the internet.

If I am riding a long distance below freezing I have a pair of bib type pants (from Academy Sporting goods) with a Y harness sewed into the legs to run my Warm and Safe socks.

I only use the Gerbing switch and turn off when it gets too hot. I guess a controller would be nice but my setup is simple and effective for me.

My Gerbings are the microwire and they are great...also over the years I have used the lifetime warranty on the wiring from Gerbing and they have been wonderful to deal with. They upgraded me to the microwire for free after a wiring problem.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 11:56 am

Gerbing's Microwire wire jacket and thier new microwire socks (these things are great!) with a dual controller work great.

I wear the jacket under a Rev'it Ignition jacket with the waterproof breathable liner installed if it is below about 45 degrees.

REv'it gear pants with the liners (again bliners belwo about 45 degrees and a very thin pair of silk weigfht Patagonia long johns.

Rev'it Alsaka GTX Gloves. (All leather, Gore-Tex and lot of protection. Extrememly warm!)

Heated seat & Grips and a V-Stream windshield. And I am good to go.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

+1 on the Gerbing... I have the microwire jacket and it is wonderful. Very light weight and very very hot. If possible try a jacket on at one of the bike shows or a dealer. You want it to fit smug but not tight.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #9 of 11 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 11:35 pm

I have had a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves (though I don't use those much anymore now that I have the LT w/ heated grips) for 9 years, and have been very happy with it. I have never had any problems with the gear. Part of me almost wishes something would go wrong so I would have an excuse to upgrade myself to microwire, but Gerbings' quality has prevented me from doing that.

Whatever brand you go with, I would recommend a liner as opposed to a heated jacket to minimize your luggage.

As others have mentioned there are a number of good brands, and no two people are exactly alike, so see if you can try them out in person at your local store and find out which brand is best for you.
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 27th, 2011, 7:18 am

I also had the Gerbing for many years. One time I pulled the plug off of one of the sleeves. I contacted them and they said to send it back. I also asked them to extend both sleeve plug cables by approximately six inches. This allowed plenty of slack when putting on my riding jacket over the Gerbing jacket liner and to put on the gloves. I do not think that they charged me for this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #11 of 11 Old Dec 27th, 2011, 10:42 am
Old Dawg

Has anyone tried Powerlet's rapidFIRe gear yet?

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in