Rain Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Rain Gear

Have Savannah II Jacket and of course cannot find the liner for sale anywhere. Really enjoy what little BMW gear I have found so does anyone have any experience with either the RainLock, KlimateKomfort (2 piece suits), or the ProGear2 1 piece suit? Would be open to other suggestions as well but looking for something that I can just pull into a station, switch gear as quickly as possible, and be comfortable in a torrential downpour if need be.

Thanks a bunch in advance to those who have any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 8:31 pm

Frogg Toggs

I use Frogg Toggs I bought them large enough to fit over my riding gear. I had a coat that had a waterproof liner and it worked very well. The coat gained
about 15lbs when it got wet though.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:26 pm

The SO and I both have savannah IIs but we just got them last fall...not a lot of time in them, but we did go to MN from MI via the UP in Nov for a week long mtg I had there. We use gerbings heated liners underneath the jacket.

For rain gear, we got the SO the first gear (I think it is) pants and coat, both gortex from BMW Detroit, they usually have a nice selection of stuff but no beemer clothing...200 bucks for the pair.

I don't much care about wet legs unless its cold and a long ride so I just use the darien pants I have, good enuff.

But, I bought the same rain jacket, non-gortex for 75 bucks. Its compact, I even use carry it for daily use when the weather gets ruff. And it is designed for motorbiking all the way around.

There is no catch-all gear that isn't going to make you uncomfortable at some point (I came to realize after a couple of trys with different gear).

I don't think you can do much better for packing, wind protection and a walk-around jkt if you go this route with the outer shell. Easy to keep on the bike for emergencies, like a cold wind you didn't expect.

regards...geo

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:35 pm

ps....

by the way, check BMW of Las Vegas...some lady there found the last savannah II jkt (new) in my size (XL) somwhere in canada after looking for a couple of weeks!!

I've got to look her up some day.....give them a call and see if they can find the beemer liners for you, never know.

that was after the SO tryed about 10 different dealerships (she's in the phoenix area).
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
I use Frogg Toggs I bought them large enough to fit over my riding gear.
I have the FroggToggs also. The problem I found with them is the way they blow up on you due to the wind. It's not a big deal for a short while...but after a couple hundred miles, I was about ready to toss them. I have since bought the BMW Light'n Easy jacket and find it's ability to keep me dry without any need for raingear (or a liner) is awesome.

I would stick with your search for finding the proper liner for the Savannah II, before buying any raingear...m2c.
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:18 am

Garage
I just bought a set of Frogg Toggs off ebay for my trip to the STC. I'll let you know how they perform. Hopefully, I won't need them but better safe than sorry!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #7 of 9 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 9:40 am Thread Starter

Just back from the Atlanta show. Went with a friend of mine riding a Road King and we both bot Schampa Skinny tops and bottoms (per your suggestion; they work WONDERFULLY so thanks again; particular from Road King man with short windshield).

Next stop Frog Toggs booth where HD friend says he had something similar years ago and it blew up like the "Michelin Man" in wind. Bot them anyhow since salesperson said "they are so light no problem."

DOH!

Best news is that Road King saw the new GT. Cuz he doesn't like the weight of the LT I think I've brought a new customer to the BMW fold!
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Frogg Toggs are great. Lightweight and easy to put on in a hurry (for those who don't wear full gear at all times).

If you wear full gear all of the time, I have a First Gear Kilamanjaro and remove the winter liner in the summer; I also have the overpants. Both top and bottom are water/wind proof. Great suit with all the body armour and unzip thingamabobs for air circulation in the summer. Bulky yes, safe yes. Comfortable, &$#@ NO!

Am looking for the Aerostitch one-piece suit. But it will have to be custom-fitted for a "vertically-challenged" dude!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #9 of 9 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 5:52 pm
kip

tourmaster

i have a tourmaster rain jacket that has been ideal to me....
bought it off ebay for? $50 maybe.....
use some columbia nylon overpants really made for snow skiiing for rain pants...
those with good riding boots and gloves and im water proof through some frog stranglers

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in