Summer Gloves? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

Summer Gloves?

I need a new pair of gloves for next summer - I have worn a pair of very light weight deer skin gloves for years - they have ran the coarse & have done a fine job of being a buffer from bugs - I know motorcycle gloves can run from 30 bucks to 100 bucks - is there any real value in a 100 pair of summer gloves? - mesh? - Leather? - combo of the two? - - thanks - tom

My Web site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Re: Summer Gloves?

The pair I've been using were given to me as a birthday present.( I would never have spent the money myself but I have to admit I love them.) They are BMW Air flows. ( I think. I'll go out to the garage and check for sure tomorrow). I've had them a couple of years now and they hold up well, offer good protection and have enough airflow across the back of the hands to keep cool.

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #3 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 5:16 pm

IMHO there is no better glove made than the Lee Parks Deer and Elk Skin Gauntlet.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)

post #4 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 5:19 pm

The BMW AirFlow is an excellent sumer glove- I use it in temps up to hi 90s and you will be hard pressed to find one as protective and comfortable in that range. Above that I switch to a lighter but less protective fabric backed glove made in Pakistan and bought at the local J brands dealer for $15 because even though the BMW glove is excellent, my hands still sweat too much in it even at highway speeds when both humidity and temp are way up there. (I also have added a Veskimo for sumer riding- very nice and comfy but a bit pricey.)

For temps up into the 70s my usual glove is a Held Steve- excellent feel and good down to a bit below 45 with the Barkbusters on my bike.

Weather conditions in NC summer generally preclude solid leather gloves of any kind unless you can tolerate hot and sweaty hands. The Lee Parks are great gloves but wouldn't do it around here when it gets hot.(Got an unused set on the shelf- I view them as a less satisfactory equivalent of the Steve because the feel isn't as good though deer/elk have rather different properties than kangaroo or Pittard ). Don;t know how hot and humid your riding conditions get..

Last edited by racer7; Dec 19th, 2011 at 5:36 pm.
post #5 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 5:35 pm

Don't shoot the messenger- - - Harley Motor Clothes has a line of gloves, only in black, of course, that are excellent. My first pair lasted almost 6 years. Nice soft leather, velcro at the wrist for closure, and are perforated for summer comfort. I'm on my 2nd pair because of the summer heat where I ride is usually 105 and can and does hit 110 or higher. Good product, check them out.

2010 R1200 RT, Current Chariot
2007 Triumph Scrambler, Hoodlum
2005 H-D Road King, Trustworthy and fun
1980 R100 RT. Old friend of 22 years, all good
1971 BSA B50 SS, One lung funster
1970 BSA 650 Lightning, Alas, lost to a nasty crash
post #6 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer
The pair I've been using were given to me as a birthday present.( I would never have spent the money myself but I have to admit I love them.) They are BMW Air flows. ( I think. I'll go out to the garage and check for sure tomorrow). I've had them a couple of years now and they hold up well, offer good protection and have enough airflow across the back of the hands to keep cool.

+1 on the BMW Airflow gloves
post #7 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I've used OLYMPIA ROPERS for the last 6 years. They last me about 3 to 4 years & are a very tight fit. I can even use my cel phone (old style not an IPhone) with them.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

so far we are looking at gloves from 28 bucks to 185 bucks with the BMW Air Flows at $105 - thats a hell of a spread!

My Web site
post #9 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynikonf3
Don't shoot the messenger- - - Harley Motor Clothes has a line of gloves, only in black, of course, that are excellent. My first pair lasted almost 6 years. Nice soft leather, velcro at the wrist for closure, and are perforated for summer comfort.
I agree that HD has some really well made clothing that is fairly reasonable. Unfortunately they brand every piece they sell with the logo. I can get away with it for now as I still have my Harley (till my wife realizes it and makes me sell it!)

2006 R1200RT 57,000 miles (lost to hurricane Sandy)
2012 R1200RT
post #10 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Hi Tom. Have enjoyed these for a few years - very comfortable summer glove. $30 or less.

http://shop.olympiagloves.com/710-71...or-710-711.htm

John
post #11 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 6:59 pm

One more thing about the air flows I forgot to mention was they they come in real glove sizes, so that you can get a pair that fits you perfectly. Really nice.

Ride Safe,

Bob

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #12 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynikonf3
Don't shoot the messenger- - - Harley Motor Clothes has a line of gloves, only in black, of course, that are excellent. My first pair lasted almost 6 years. Nice soft leather, velcro at the wrist for closure, and are perforated for summer comfort. I'm on my 2nd pair because of the summer heat where I ride is usually 105 and can and does hit 110 or higher. Good product, check them out.
I've got these same gloves and they are my second pair in about 8-9 years. I love the way that they fit and the HD is in black and hardly noticeable. They are so comfortable that even if the HD was in orange I'd still wear them. In Florida they are great 8-9 months out of the year. I think that they were around $40.00.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 23 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 7:43 pm

+1 more on the BMW Airflow !! I have the lite colored pair and with sizes.. you get a great fit. They wear very well, breathe and are not going to leave some color on your skin if they get wet!!! Well worth the price.. Did over 7K out and back from CCR last year and was in high to mid 90's at times but never felt too sweaty or any issue.

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #14 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2011, 2:42 am

Garage

+1 on the Air Flows

I have had mine for 5 years now, and they still feel & look good.

When I tried them on, they had the WOW factor.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #15 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2011, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan
Hi Tom. Have enjoyed these for a few years - very comfortable summer glove. $30 or less.

http://shop.olympiagloves.com/710-71...or-710-711.htm

John
I just bought a pair to replace my Roadgear gloves that were Fantastic. It's really late in the year for the summer ridding and now it's only in the 80's for the high. Looking forward to putting some miles in them.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #16 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:53 pm

REv'it Curb

$99.99. Lots of perforation, All Leather and tons of protection. Love 'em! leathers.
Goat skin & Cowhide and Carbon fiber.

If you ever do go down, you have got to protect you hands.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-curb-gloves

Or still some protection (Hard knuckles) but lighter weight and somewhat cooler. Really comfortable stretch material and leather

Rev'it Comet ES

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-comet-gloves

I have both. Used Comet for 2 years and then decided I wanted more protection. Have worn both in 90-100 degrees and they are comfortable. (As comfrotable as you can be at that Temp.)

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Last edited by Atomicman; Dec 20th, 2011 at 5:40 pm.
post #17 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2011, 4:41 pm

The first summer after I got the LT, I could not believe how hot my hands got (yes, the grip heaters were off!).

The Tourmaster Summer Elite is one of the few all-leather gloves I found that has perforations on all sides of the fingers.
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...e-p-100_9.html

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #18 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
The first summer after I got the LT, I could not believe how hot my hands got (yes, the grip heaters were off!).

The Tourmaster Summer Elite is one of the few all-leather gloves I found that has perforations on all sides of the fingers.
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...e-p-100_9.html
My less expensive but equal in quality all leather summer gloves also are perforated around the fingers.

2010 R1200 RT, Current Chariot
2007 Triumph Scrambler, Hoodlum
2005 H-D Road King, Trustworthy and fun
1980 R100 RT. Old friend of 22 years, all good
1971 BSA B50 SS, One lung funster
1970 BSA 650 Lightning, Alas, lost to a nasty crash
post #19 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2011, 10:07 pm

By now +3 or +4 on the BMW Airflow gloves. Comfortable on the hands all day. Due to heated grips I generally carry only 2 pairs of gloves when traveling, Airflows and a pair of thinsulate waterproof gloves for bad weather. Prior to discovering Airflows the only good summer gloves I could find were at the Harley store.
post #20 of 23 Old Dec 20th, 2011, 10:48 pm

I've had the tourmaster air intake glove for 3 years. They were about $40. Goatskin palms and inner fingers, Carbolex mesh on backside. Mine are in grey with some black on the back of the hand. Lots of air flow. Why apparel manufacturers keep making summer gear in black is beyond me. Their sales figures must tell them that people prefer black. Let's see I could buy black or I could buy black.........I guess I'll buy the black. I guess it worked for Hank Ford with his Model T's.

John

2002 K1200LT
post #21 of 23 Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 9:07 am

Very satisfied with the BMW Airflow gloves. Had a pair for three years until they began to disintegrate. They usually run between $100 and $110 but I did find a pair two years ago on sale at Orlando BMW for 60 bucks. I wish I had bought two pairs instead of one.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #22 of 23 Old Dec 25th, 2011, 11:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
REv'it Curb

$99.99. Lots of perforation, All Leather and tons of protection. Love 'em! leathers.
Goat skin & Cowhide and Carbon fiber.

If you ever do go down, you have got to protect you hands.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-curb-gloves

Or still some protection (Hard knuckles) but lighter weight and somewhat cooler. Really comfortable stretch material and leather

Rev'it Comet ES

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-comet-gloves

I have both. Used Comet for 2 years and then decided I wanted more protection. Have worn both in 90-100 degrees and they are comfortable. (As comfrotable as you can be at that Temp.)
I'm also a fan of Rev'it gloves and have their Leather perforated Monster Gloves:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-monster-gloves

I like them a lot. They are well made, offer armor protection, and keep the hands cool. They look good too. The only problem is that Rev'it gloves run small so get them two sizes larger.

Art-----------------
2012 Triumph Street Triple R
2010 BMW RT
2001 H-D FXDX
post #23 of 23 Old Dec 26th, 2011, 5:57 pm
SEG

I highly recommend the BMW Air Flow gloves. I'm on my second pair of Air Flow gloves. The Ventura, CA based CHP motor cops use the Air Flow gloves and for good reason, they work (and not because they can better handle a pen when writing up speeding tickets). I do most of my riding during the peak summer months and they've served me well through the hottest/most humid weather. With heated grips, you'll get great temperature range with the Air Flow gloves.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in