Helmet choice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

Helmet choice

Do you guy's wear a full face 100% of the time? - I know I should but I wear a DOT 1/2 bucket in the summer - always have - when it's 90/100 degree's out I just get to hot with a full face -

I about ready to pull the trigger on a new Schuberth C3 - I guess they are a tad cooler & lighter & should be for 700 bucks plus they have a super slick blue tooth / FM radio for only another 400 bucks plus the C3 has the built in sun shade - I like the idea of that.

I have blue tooth now but with my poor hearing I can't hear it with the helmet wind I now get with my full face - They claim that the C3 is very quiet for a modular helmet & if I go with their blue tooth system it has 2 speakers so I should be able to hear - It's a shame to have GPS/MP3/Radio & can't hear any of them with my current set up. I don't think the C3 is any safer than say a Multi-Tech Shoie

I'm just thinking out loud - Anyone here wearing a Schuberth?
Tom

My Web site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 11:56 pm

Re: Helmet choice

An open face helmet is not going to do you much good if you need it in a big accident. Get the C3 and enjoy one of the best.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 12:11 am

If you've got a bluetooth now, many can be modded to run a set of in er phones- like the Scala G$ for example. Some of those phgones are very tiny and not expensive and will solve the hearing issue.

I'd be careful about junping on the bandwagon of any helmet you haven't tried. Quietness is as much a function of fit and the individual bike as it is of helmet design. The pricing of the C-3 and its bluetooth system is exorbitant- the bluetooth system is said o be Cardo technology (so would be similar to the G4 based on vintage). And other brands have the sunscreen though many are Italian-made and like most Italian helmets, noisy.

Maybe you can arrange a road t4st of one to see how well it works for you before going in for a grand or more.

post #4 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 5:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Hudson
Do you guy's wear a full face 100% of the time?
Always.

Quote:
I about ready to pull the trigger on a new Schuberth C3
If the C3 fits your head shape, IMO it's the best you can get. I bought one, rode with it for a week and a half and ordered one for Oldwhatshername. It's a buncha money - no question about that - but I believe it's safety features are the best available.

Quote:
I have blue tooth now but with my poor hearing I can't hear it with the helmet wind I now get with my full face - They claim that the C3 is very quiet for a modular helmet & if I go with their blue tooth system it has 2 speakers so I should be able to hear - It's a shame to have GPS/MP3/Radio & can't hear any of them with my current set up. I don't think the C3 is any safer than say a Multi-Tech Shoei.
If you're not wearing ear plugs, wind noise will make it difficult to hear anything. That said, if you have some wind protection - decent windshield etc. - you'll find that the C3, Multitech and similar full face or modular helmets are quiet enough that you can [I don't recommend it] ride "locally" and hear helmet speakers just fine and the wind noise is generally managable. Again, I don't recommend it but getting out of that half helmet is the smartest thing you can do for a number of reasons.

I wear a C3 with the J&M headset and for longer rides, Hearos NRR 32db foam ear plugs. Locally, I wear custom molded plugs. The custom molds are not as quiet as the foams.

As to the C3 being "safer" - don't crash is the safest.

However, the one safety feature in the C3 that made me buy two of them is the anti roll-off protection.
The C3 pinlock visor is fog free.
The C3 I have doesn't leak in the rain [I've heard of a couple that did leak but not mine]
The C3 is the most comfortable helmet I've ever had.
The C3 is quieter to me than the Multitechs I've been wearing.
The C3 is lighter than the Multitechs I've been wearing.
The C3 is smaller in diameter than the Multitechs I've been wearing [I wear a medium 7 1/8th]
Overall the C3 works well for me - better than any other helmet I've owned.

Disclaimer - no interest etc., just a very satisfied user.

Steve Aikens
2007 R1200RT
2015 R1200RTW
IBA# 442
post #5 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 6:58 am

I almost always wear a Schuberth J1. It probably doesn't offer the protection of a full face helmet, but it comes near,
at least if the chin bar is used. The view is fantastic and the visor is more or less fog-free.
I don't use any voice or audio equipment in the helmet but I know riders who do and they find it satisfactory.

K75RT (1994)--->R1200RT (2009)
post #6 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 7:40 am

Garage

I have a Schuberth C3 and a Multi-tech. $700 later, I learned that any helmet is quiet if you are wearing ear plugs. I've heard that the new Multi-tech will have the drop down sun shade also. You might want to check into the Nolan helmets. You can add a bluetooth module to those also.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #7 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 7:45 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

The C3 does not fit my head but the Nolan N103 does & I love it. Not as light as the C3 but the N103 is lighter the my old N102 That served me well for 5 years & over 80K miles.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 7:49 am

I'm with Racer 7 on this one, for sure. I am a fan of Arai helmets---I wear a Corsair full face and also a Ram XC open face. Both are Snell rated, both to me extremely comfortable. The Ram open face features an extended lower section with only about 2 inches left open. I know, safety and all, but our 110f summers make it just plain more comfortable.
These forums were "lit-up" with posts about the Schuberth some time ago. Quite a few folks saying they had sore spots, bruises, had to "shape" the foam with a spoon or a golf ball, etc. Caveat Emptor. You should have to "modify" such an expensive purchase? I can't say for myself, never tried one--but I had read enough right here.
As Racer 7 said, noise is a function of more than just a helmet: windshield type and height, your sitting height and posture, the visor fit into the helmet, etc. Again with Racer, if possible, try several. Good luck!

2010 R1200 RT, Current Chariot
2007 Triumph Scrambler, Hoodlum
2005 H-D Road King, Trustworthy and fun
1980 R100 RT. Old friend of 22 years, all good
1971 BSA B50 SS, One lung funster
1970 BSA 650 Lightning, Alas, lost to a nasty crash
post #9 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 7:52 am

The Nolan 104s are out now. Love my 102.
http://www.nolanhelmets.com/nolan-n104-helmets.htm

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #10 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 8:02 am

Love my Nolan N-102
Can't wait for my N-104 for Christmas

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #11 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 8:37 am

Tom, I live in Phoenix, AZ and I ALWAYS wear a full face helmet. Is it hot? Sure. But so is hot wind in your face.

I cannot tell you how many motorcycle accidents I investigated where faces were marred forever due to no protection.

Get a good full face and you can always lift the shield and get air. I can ride with my face shield up on the RT and get just enough wind to cool off a bit.
post #12 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 9:29 am

I always have and will wear a full face helmet. I like the idea of the modular helmets but with 40% of all impacts to the face area I am don't trust them. There is a reason why the major testing facilities will not approve them. It seams that the flip up part is the weak link in the helmet with only the pivots being strong points. Companies test which way to layer the carbon and glass to get the best strength out of a helmet, Arai disagrees with vents in the forehead because it weakens the shell, why would you trust two little pivot bolts to the impact. Just my opinion, It's my face I worry about, you need to worry about yours.
post #13 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 11:35 am

+1 for C3
Great helmet and great communication device either

This year waiting for SRC for C2 which should fit wife's BMW sys 5

R1200RT
Alfa Romeo 159 SW
Volvo XC70 II
post #14 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekko10
Tom, I live in Phoenix, AZ and I ALWAYS wear a full face helmet. Is it hot? Sure. But so is hot wind in your face.
I cannot tell you how many motorcycle accidents I investigated where faces were marred forever due to no protection.

Get a good full face and you can always lift the shield and get air. I can ride with my face shield up on the RT and get just enough wind to cool off a bit.
Chris, Why do state & local police wear 1/2 helmets?

My Web site
post #15 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Garage

I noticed on my way home from my California trip that the motor officers in El Paso, TX wear modular helmets and ride R1150RTP's.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #16 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 3:05 pm

The Nolan 90 is worth a look. I am quite satisified with mine.
post #17 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech
An open face helmet is not going to do you much good if you need it in a big accident. Get the C3 and enjoy one of the best.
+1 for the C3
I have it for almost two years now and it's a great helmet.
light, queit and air flows in it even in hot weather
I recomend this one
yaron
post #18 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarongev
+1 for the C3
I have it for almost two years now and it's a great helmet.
light, queit and air flows in it even in hot weather
I recomend this one
yaron
I think I'll make a call or two tomorrow & see if I can get another 10% off someplace - won't hurt to try - Shoie's new bucket will be out soon but from what I read it will be priced right with the C3 - It's amazing for the C3 to be around this long & still holding at that $699 figure. Our local BMW dealer said - hey - their still selling at 700 so were not going to discount them. Wasn't bashful about it. At least by buying on the net I can save the sales tax plus free shipping.

My Web site
post #19 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 4:40 pm

When it's real hot out, I put my modular helmet in the fridge for a while (before riding). It keeps me cool until I get on the road and up to speed -- then the wind helps keep it bearable.

Shoei Multitech
post #20 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 5:31 pm

The key is how it fits YOUR head.

I have the C-3 and really like it. I had to get a size larger than I normally wear for a comfortable fit. I've had it on for more than 12 hours at a time and it is still quite comfortable. Mine has BT and that is a great feature.

I felt like the helmet was a lot of money, but as a wise man once said, if you overspend and it does what you want it to do, you've only wasted money. If you underspend and it doesn't do what you want it to do, you've wasted everything!

I had a Nolan 102 and really liked it. Traded for a Nolan 103 and it seemed nosier. Maybe the new Nolan 104 will be better.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #21 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Most of the LEO's I have seen wear 3/4 helmets. This is done due to public pressure. The public wants to see the officers face. Another reason is the time it takes to take off a full face, or even a flip face in case of an altercation.

I have seen a couple of DPS (Arizona Dept of Public Safety) officers on the road wearing full face helmets. They are the only ones I have seen, and they may have been flip face helmets that were being tested.
post #22 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 10:31 pm

Quote:
I think I'll make a call or two tomorrow & see if I can get another 10% off someplace - won't hurt to try - Shoie's new bucket will be out soon but from what I read it will be priced right with the C3 - It's amazing for the C3 to be around this long & still holding at that $699 figure. Our local BMW dealer said - hey - their still selling at 700 so were not going to discount them. Wasn't bashful about it. At least by buying on the net I can save the sales tax plus free shipping.
You can get the C3 here for $515 (includes shipping) since you don't have to pay VAT as they do in Europe. Go to the shopping cart to see the breakdown. I purchased Daytona boots from FC-Moto, arrived in 1 week and saved a bunch.

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...s/Schuberth-C3

2002 K1200LT
post #23 of 46 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 11:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

That is why I won't wear anything less than a full coverage helmet.

If I wasn't wearing a full coverage helmet, I wouldn't be here to write this. And if it was a 3/4 helmet, I might be able to write, but probably wouldn't be speaking all too well.

When everything goes right, riding is exhilirating, but the consequences when something goes wrong can be quite serious. So it's up to each of us to recognize those consequences, and do everything we can to minimize them. That includes regular professional training, maintaining awareness of the current situation, always keeping an "out", and wearing the best gear that you can find, just in case.

Simply put, the C3 is the lightest, quietest, best-vented, and most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. The sun shilled is awesome, and the pinlock screen keeps the fog away when it's really cold outside. I put 26K miles on that C3 in 3 1/2 months, including multiple 1,000+ mile days, until an unfortunate incident with a coyote in the wilds of Nevada.

And then that helmet saved my life.

As you can see, the flip-up section held very well. I believe that has to do with Schuberth's German engineering excellence, which shows in details like all-metal latches and pins. Some other flip-ups are still using plastic pins. No, thanks.

That helmet was replaced with an exact copy. And, due to the excellent Schuberth Mobility Program, I got that replacement for 1/3rd of listed retail cost. Nice.

But even if I had to pay full retail again, I would've gladly done so, as I simply won't trust my head to anything less.

The only two complaints I hear about the C3 is that it's expensive (yes, but quality gear always is), and that it doesn't fit some head shapes (which is why I recommend that you try any helmet on before you buy, as sizing and fit is quite important). I had to go up one size, from an XL C2 to an XXL C3 to get the right fit.

But if it does fit your head, and you do value safety, comfort, and quality over the cheapest price, then just do it.

After all, what's your head worth to you?

OK, OK, if you're still looking at cost, then there is a discount available to LD/IBA riders from JC Motors, located in Irvine, CA. I believe it's 10% off and free shipping. And they're good people to work with, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #24 of 46 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 1:14 am

Quote:
Here in EU I haven't seen a cop with other than full-face / flip-up helmet

R1200RT
Alfa Romeo 159 SW
Volvo XC70 II
post #25 of 46 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 1:25 am

Fit is the determining factor.

100% of the time I wear a Shoei RF-1100, full face.

Shoei's were made for my head!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #26 of 46 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 9:54 am

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the Shark Evoline yet. tT my knowledge it is the only modular that is designed to allow one to ride with the chin piece flipped up. The design is such that one hardly notices the chin piece resting on the back of the helmet. Try that in most modulars (such as the Schuberth) and the balance is off.

We are all aware that a modular presents some unquantified degree of safety compromise and a modular that allows one to wear it as a 3/4 helmet results in a further decrease in safety. However, I have over 12,000 miles in the Shark and love the flexibility.

I installed the Camos bluetooth system which was a piece of cake in the Shark compared with the install in my former Schuberth.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #27 of 46 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 4:29 pm

The C3 is a phenomenal helmet. When I was shopping I spent literally hours trying on dozens of helmets. Drove to every moto shop I could find. Nothing else was half as good as the C3 at any price.

Do yourself a favor and get the Sena system instead of the SRC. It's less than half the price, more reliable, and the buttons are much easier to use. For the C3 you need the basic kit plus the attachment option that has the separate microphone. This actually fits BETTER than the SRC microphone. That one gets fouled up in the chin bar.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #28 of 46 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Fit is the key.

My head was a little off..I adjusted with a spoon just like with others I've worn in the past.

I battled a few weeks with mine for fit.. well worth it..the most comfortable helmet I have ever been blessed to wear.

Nothing wrong with spoon'en a helmet.

I have worn Aries and Nolan before, they are great helmets as well...no spoon on the Nolan.

Ear buds for me..no other option

Dana

God Bless America
2011RT~"Favor" of God
post #29 of 46 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

I ordered a C3 today -

My Web site
post #30 of 46 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Hopefully you tried several on for the correct fit. I really do like mine.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #31 of 46 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Hopefully you tried several on for the correct fit. I really do like mine.
tried it on at a dealer - didn't road test it - I was right on the cut for their sizing so I went one size up - I had to go with a xxl - but couldn't feel much difference in the 2x or the 3x - so we will see?

My Web site
post #32 of 46 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 10:29 pm

100% of the time -- when I was in my early 20's I totalled a full-dress Yamaha XS850G triple -- looking over at one point and seeing it about 3-4 feet away tumbling end-over-end in perfect sync with my summersaults was an interesting memory -- but I digress.

I was wearing a full-face Arai. It performed very well. The heavy scratches were all along the front and left-front side of the helmet and the visor -- in other words, had I been wearing a 3/4, I'd be even uglier than I already am in my natural state.

And FWIW, I'm currently wearing a C3, having previously worn a C1; wife is wearing a C3W -- very happy with all, for the reasons above. Worth every penny (*if* it fits comfortably). If you break the cost down into cost per year of expected life, it's a trivial amount more each year as compared to your second choice.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #33 of 46 Old Dec 6th, 2011, 8:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
100% of the time -- when I was in my early 20's I totalled a full-dress Yamaha XS850G triple -- looking over at one point and seeing it about 3-4 feet away tumbling end-over-end in perfect sync with my summersaults was an interesting memory -- but I digress.

I was wearing a full-face Arai. It performed very well. The heavy scratches were all along the front and left-front side of the helmet and the visor -- in other words, had I been wearing a 3/4, I'd be even uglier than I already am in my natural state.

And FWIW, I'm currently wearing a C3, having previously worn a C1; wife is wearing a C3W -- very happy with all, for the reasons above. Worth every penny (*if* it fits comfortably). If you break the cost down into cost per year of expected life, it's a trivial amount more each year as compared to your second choice.
I landed flat on my face after colliding with a deer one night, I was probably 18. I literally bounced and landed in a ditch, out cold.

My Kawi H1B triple was toast, and I was so beat up I couldn't walk for a couple of days, but the Bell Star helmet I bought just a few week earlier saved my face. The only thing debatable is if I have any lasting drain bamage.

I remember buying the helmet after seeing an ad - because I thought it made me look like an astronaut. I passed on the white riding suit, although it was a tough decision. Bell bottom jeans were more my style.

Fast forward almost 40 years later and I'm still wearing full face helmets, even though I haven't had the opportunity to real world test one since then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tri star ad.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	33778   Click image for larger version

Name:	helmet crash.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	33779   Click image for larger version

Name:	helmet-impact.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	33780  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:37 am.
post #34 of 46 Old Dec 6th, 2011, 9:15 am

I just about stole a new Arai Signet-Q (the long-oval version of the RX-Q) from a dealership that was closing a couple weeks ago, got it for less than half of MSRP.

After three shoei's, one nolan, a Bell Star, Bell Revolver (stay away from this one, it's poorly made, noisy as hell and doesn't vent at ALL), two Scorpions, and an Icon, I FINALLY have one that properly fits my "long-oval" head, and what a difference!

I've had two modular helmets, and in all reality (especially after getting the SENA intercom system), I was only utilizing the flip-up function to put the thing on and take it off--you get almost the same venting at stoplights just opening your face visor that you'd get from opeining it completely. The Arai (and other full-face helmets) is quieter, offers more protection, and vents better--something to consider.

Either way, do as Dan and others above suggest, try on a variety of helmets from a variety of manufacturers (don't just get the latest and most talked about, which I've done myself in the past). Even if you feel stupid doing it, wear it in the store for at least 15 minutes to discover if what feels snug immediately turns into downright uncomfortable after ten minutes, and if available, have a trained sales person help you with fit--I'd bet that 90% of us have been or are wearing the wrong size.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #35 of 46 Old Dec 6th, 2011, 9:50 am

Quote:
There are several reasons:
So they can do their jobs without removing their helmets all of the time.
They can keep you in view all of the time and not have their hands occupied.
Did you ever take your helmet off and on about 50 times a day? It gets old.
They can just stop, hop off and start directing traffic etc.
Easier to use with their hard mounted radios.
Easier to run and chase folks while wearing helmet.
We wear helmets for recreation, they work while wearing theirs......

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #36 of 46 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 7:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

One more comment about the C3. I bought an XXL and was having problems on longer ride with it causing a red spot and associated pain in my forehead. After working on it with a spoon it improved but still wasn't right. I replaced all of the helmet liners with an XL size set. That made the helmet fit a bit tighter and the problems went away.

C3s are made in two shell sizes...one for L and smaller, and one for XL and larger. You can swap out the padding with other sizes that were originally intended for the shell size. I would suggest measuring carefully and ordering the size Schuberth suggests. You can't really get a good feel for the fit based on wearing it around the shop for 10 - 15 minutes.

Regards,

Steve Cass
Sunny Tucson Arizona
BMW MOA 163660

2010 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW F650GS
1987 Harley Davidson FXRT (Sold)
1983 Kawasaki KZ650 (Sold)
1973 Honda 350 Four (Sold)
1972 Suzuki 250 (Sold)
1970 Kawasaki A7 Avenger (Sold)

post #37 of 46 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 9:33 am

We were at the Dallas International Motorcycle Show this last weekend and I tried on a few different helmets. I have a Nolan n-102 right now that is 4+ years old. The HTC...nope. The awesome Schuberth felt really good and I really like a lot of the features but the $$$$ to get it on my head will not do. The Nolan N-103 was a good fit with my head shape so it looks like I really do not have much of a choice.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #38 of 46 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 9:46 am

I wear fullface 100 % of the time. Always have and always will.
I hear a lot of people state they love the Schuberth helmet ,but complain about the price.

I have a Arai Corsair that I believe I paid close to $800 for. I would jump on a Schuberth C3 for the price and features it has. And I would never by another Arai Corsair,very noisy!
A C3 will be my next helmet.

If you never drop or crash how long to you wait to replace your helmet?
Mi ne looks like new,but is 3 years old,can't wait to get a C3.

2011 BMW R1200RT

2008 Ducati Multistrada(sold)
2006 HD CVO V-Rod(sold)
2004 Honda RC51(sold)
2002 Yamaha Road Warrior(sold)
post #39 of 46 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 1:07 pm

I have a Schuberth C3, I love it and where it all the time when riding. Since getting mine, I rarely where ear plugs. If it fits you well and you are ok with spending the premium dinero, go for it.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #40 of 46 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaron
I wear fullface 100 % of the time. Always have and always will.
I hear a lot of people state they love the Schuberth helmet ,but complain about the price.

I have a Arai Corsair that I believe I paid close to $800 for. I would jump on a Schuberth C3 for the price and features it has. And I would never by another Arai Corsair,very noisy!
A C3 will be my next helmet.

If you never drop or crash how long to you wait to replace your helmet?
Mi ne looks like new,but is 3 years old,can't wait to get a C3.

Apparently 5years is the life span of a helmet according to my dealer and what I've read online. They say oil from your skin and other contaminants breaks down the materials also with advances in technologies they get better and lighter etc..

Im considering taking the plunge and spending the $$ on the C3 - But first waiting for the Nolan N104 to be released next month.

2011 R1200RT
2005 R1150R - traded in for RT
post #41 of 46 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesabeach
Apparently 5years is the life span of a helmet according to my dealer and what I've read online. They say oil from your skin and other contaminants breaks down the materials also with advances in technologies they get better and lighter etc..

Im considering taking the plunge and spending the $$ on the C3 - But first waiting for the Nolan N104 to be released next month.
I was going to wait & take a look at the 104 also but i have been putting this off to long and ordered the C3 Monday - BTW - I placed the order on line in the late afternoon here in CA to revzella in PA - I figured I would hear from them Tues. - Monday night I get a noticed from UPS that my order had been shipped & they also sent me a tracking number - hard to beat that kind of service. Same day shipping! Tom

My Web site
post #42 of 46 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 6:28 pm

Quote:
I was going to wait & take a look at the 104 also but i have been putting this off to long and ordered the C3 Monday - BTW - I placed the order on line in the late afternoon here in CA to revzella in PA - I figured I would hear from them Tues. - Monday night I get a noticed from UPS that my order had been shipped & they also sent me a tracking number - hard to beat that kind of service. Same day shipping! Tom
Revzilla +1

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #43 of 46 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesabeach
I had a few problems with the SRC system on my C3 and I talked a few times with Schuberth US reps and I asked them what does Schuberth recommend as their replacement cycle. I told them that I replace on a 4 or 5 season cycle depending on how the fit is holding up providing that there has been no damage done or accidents..

His response is that Schuberth recommends no longer than 8 years from the date of manufacture and that is on the inside. I believe it is on the chin strap. I asked him why they are out that long and he answer was they are constructed differently than any helmet.

Bottom line, knowing the date of manufacture on the one you have in your hand could give you another season or two depending on how long the vendor had the helmet on the shelf. That makes the replacement cycle a little less of a hit.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; Dec 8th, 2011 at 7:04 pm. Reason: readability
post #44 of 46 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Oh thats good info that Schuberth gives it an 8 year life span thanks for that!

That longer life span makes spending the extra money a little easier

2011 R1200RT
2005 R1150R - traded in for RT
post #45 of 46 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 9:10 pm

It's the sun... UV does amazing things to plastic and none of them are good.

Not sure if there is any special protection built into the C3 helmet, but after x number of hours in the sun, over several years, I'd be surprised if the protection of a 5 year old helmet was that of a new one.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #46 of 46 Old Dec 12th, 2011, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I had a few problems with the SRC system on my C3 and I talked a few times with Schuberth US reps and I asked them what does Schuberth recommend as their replacement cycle. I told them that I replace on a 4 or 5 season cycle depending on how the fit is holding up providing that there has been no damage done or accidents..

His response is that Schuberth recommends no longer than 8 years from the date of manufacture and that is on the inside. I believe it is on the chin strap. I asked him why they are out that long and he answer was they are constructed differently than any helmet.

Bottom line, knowing the date of manufacture on the one you have in your hand could give you another season or two depending on how long the vendor had the helmet on the shelf. That makes the replacement cycle a little less of a hit.

"no longer than 8 years from the date of manufacture" does NOT mean "you can wear it for 8 years."

It means, "If we made it in 2010, and it happens to sit on your dealer's shelves for four years before you buy it, we recognize that the EPS foam might degrade a bit, so we don't want the liability of people wearing them longer than 8 yrs after we make it, regardless of when they purchase it"

Wear it no longer than 5 years, or 8 years from the date of manufacture --whichever comes first.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in