J&M Helmet with headset - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

J&M Helmet with headset

I thought I read this topic once, but can not find it again when searching for J&M.

I just bought a new J&M Arai Classic/c helmet with headset installed and the speakers seem to sound like junk. Is this just me, or does anyone else have this problem.

http://www.jmcorp.com/Arai-Clampless.htm

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:44 pm

years ago i had a J&M headset sound terrible from the first time i put my ears to them. The J&M folks didn't even ask... they replaced the set andd paid the shipping. maybe there is a bad connect or a fried speaker...
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEngland
I thought I read this topic once, but can not find it again when searching for J&M.

I just bought a new J&M Arai Classic/c helmet with headset installed and the speakers seem to sound like junk. Is this just me, or does anyone else have this problem.

http://www.jmcorp.com/Arai-Clampless.htm

Thanks
Mark
I don't know about the J&M headphones, but the Autocom ones were pretty pitiful. I lived with them for about a year, then someone posted that he had ripped the speakers off a Radio Shack Titanium diaphragm head set and it sounded great. I did the same, and he was right, that sounded FAR better. Much better bass and high frequency, no overdriving when the volume was turned up like the Autocom headphones.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I don't know about the J&M headphones, but the Autocom ones were pretty pitiful. I lived with them for about a year, then someone posted that he had ripped the speakers off a Radio Shack Titanium diaphragm head set and it sounded great. I did the same, and he was right, that sounded FAR better. Much better bass and high frequency, no overdriving when the volume was turned up like the Autocom headphones.
The Radio Shack Model is now labelled as made by KOSS, model M35 Pro. Titanium. They sound much better than J & M. What's up with J&M getting that money for crap?

I used to crank the bikes speakers just to get any bass, until one day I realized I was listening to my "You can learn Korean in 10 minutes-a-day" CD at quite an excessive volume in a busy pedestrian zone.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEngland
Pauline has the Classic too, and she really likes the sound. I would bet you could get some real satisfaction by contacting them directly. Click here to get in contact with John Lazzeroni. He has been helpful for other things, I'd bet he would want to help you too.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #6 of 9 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_COOP
The Radio Shack Model is now labelled as made by KOSS, model M35 Pro. Titanium.
Errr, make that KOSS Model Pro35A Titanium.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 8:58 am Thread Starter

ErnieA

FYI:

I contacted John Lazzeroni (thank you for the suggestion) who informed me that the problem is with my BMW, and the headset installed is the best on the market and the problem is not with their helmet.

Lesson learned!!

Thanks for the information, at least I tried.
Mark
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Update

FYI:
After talking with my BMW service guy, he checked both my bike and helmet and stated everything is working fine. It appears that my "expectation" was (or is) too high.

Maybe someday, Bose will release a helmet speaker.

Mark
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 8:02 pm
Old Dawg

I have the same J&M helmets and yes the speakers suck. The speakers they use are junk and it's a shame they blame it on BMW. I know this because I had custom earplugs with built in speakers made that interface the comm system and they sound so sweet in comparison. I have been thinking about changing out the speakers eventually on the helmet to improve the fidelity.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in