Helmets...? Price? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Helmets...? Price?

Soapbox on..
Can someone explain to me the reason for helmets to cost so much? I know I only have a $25 head, but I'd love to have a good fullface... but the prices... geez!
Soapbox off.. maybe.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 11:58 pm

I don't know the reason for the high cost of helmets, but if you read this article, you might end up with a helmet(Z1R) for less than $100 that turned out to be one of the safest in this test. I bought one and don't regret it.

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 5:37 am

Take a look at Bell

I know that Bell helmets have gotten a bad rep over the years. If you know any of the story behind them then you understand what happened. Basically, they sold the motorcycle helmet biz and it just went downhill from there. A few years ago Bell bought the biz back and they are determined to make Bell a respected name again.

I have seen some of their new helmets and I have to say that they are very nice for the price. For less than $200 you can get a very nice helmet from Bell with many of the features of the more costly brands.

Having said that, I am not looking at Bell for my next helmet. I love Arai helmets and Schuberth J1 or S1 are also on my list. I feel like a helmet is one of the most important articles I wear and since I wear it all the time it has to be comfortable.

My 2 cents,
Eric

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 6:38 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

$5 head

The last place to "scrimp" is on your riding gear... I agree.

I'll look into Bell.. they were once the "most expensive", then after Bell's sale and some winning years on winning riders and "helmet laws" were instituted, they jumped by 200% in 2 years here in Texas. Strange? Naw.. Law suits? Naww..

Now I guess Bell's back in the biz now that it's "profitable" again?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 7:42 pm

Thumbs up

Also check out HJC helmets. I love my Arai's, but had a CL14 a couple of years ago...for a little over $100, it's an excellent lid.
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 10:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Fit is everthing. If you wear the helmet all day then it is super important. If you wear it to get ice cream and dinner once a week on you bike that is different.

According to most of the test reports and I read every on I can any skull bucket is better than none. From what I see and what makes the most common sence in order of safest to least safest

1 full face
2 flip front like Schuberth
3 a full 3/4 open face
4 open face
5 1/2 half helmet like the cops use
6 any other DOT approved skull bucket ( like the beanie ones the HD crowd wears)

To get back to the cost issue. Manufacturing methods, advertisement, and liability insurance. one more dealer profit!

Another fact of cost is there is no relation between the real cost of making somthing and what it sells for. It is what the market will bear.

If you go by regular mark up of product dealer pays 40 to 70% of MSRP for the helmet. The distributer gets his cut. If it applies the importer get his cut.

Now if you use that formula take the $100.00 helmet say the dealer pays $65.00 the distributer pays $32.50 the importer pays $25.00 the maufacturer makes his profit minus expenses ($5.00 profit) $20 actual expenses to produce a device that is prevent injury to you skull and it contents.

Typically it is a factor of 3 to 5 times the actual cost to produce to MSRP to you the customer.

If it was made in south east asia I am sure they are a ISO certified company and folllow all manufacturing specs and never substitute inferior materials or methods to make it. So you feel safe in your $100.00 helmet that really cost $20.00 to make.

While you can debate my math here and who gets what cut I would rather place my trust in Arai, Shoei, Schuberth, and perhaps a few others simply due the history of the manufacturers and their intergrity over the past 20 or 30 years.

Personally I wear a Arai quantum F full face 80% of the time, Arai 3/4 sz ram 3 on hot days it is one noisy helmet, and a Shoei 3/4 on cool days.

Hope this makes sense.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 12:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

From Arais web site

HANDMADE: Every Arai helmet is virtually 100% handmade, with extremely comfortable, multiple-density foam comfort liners that are still hand-fit into place. Each craftsman signs the helmet shell along the way. And every helmet is hand-inspected for quality at least three times during construction. Not every tenth helmet, or hundredth one — every single helmet.

THE BEST WARRANTY: The first helmet company to offer a full 5-Year Limited Warranty — 12 years ago! Only recently have a couple others extended their warranties past one year. (How many cheaper helmets can a typical rider go through in the lifespan of a 5-year warranted Arai?)

My opinion:

While the idea of "hand made" may seem well it depends uopn the hands. Why is that Arai helmets feel so good compared to others? Why the 5 year warranty? Why does mine feel good on my head still after 40,000 miles & 5 years old?

Some helmets are injection molded plastic. Injection molding is the business I am personally in along with CNC machining. I will take a hand made fibre glass resin layup Japaneese helmet over a mass produced injection molded helmet any time. Not that injection molded helmets are not safe. They are according to DOT & Snell it is your head your choice.

For the record, I have no intrest what so ever in any helmet maker or distributer or seller of helmets.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in