Schubert opinion needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Schubert opinion needed

Does anyone have experience withthe Schubert S1? Really spendy and in reading a review: (Schuberth S1 Helmet - webBikeWorld), they did not think it was worth the money.

I like the sun visor concept that flips down. Currently have a Shoei.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 1:08 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Love the sun visor on my original Concept and new C2. That alone is a huge advantage that I use daily. Haven't tried the S1.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 19 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:44 am

helmet concept

The concept was the very most comfortable helmet I have owned. Right up to when I trashed it. A little pricey, But my all time best one

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

post #4 of 19 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:14 am

We've been wearing Schuberth Concepts since we couldn't get BMW Systems in the US. VERY comfortable (for our BMW System-shaped heads), but a little noisy, so we wear earplugs. W states the sun visor as a requirement, and I love it for those rides off into the sunset, especially when the sun is sitting in my lane! We recently got System 4s, but kept the Concepts for winter, as the BMWs are not as warm.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #5 of 19 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 1:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

I've been wondering the same thing about Schubert helmets - thanks for the post that brought out many good responses. Are the Concepts and C2(?) still available or are they older models? Every time I look at the price of a new helmet I scroll back to a Bell Helmet poster I have somewhere in my lost files that says - "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet." That always answers the question about price for me.
post #6 of 19 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The C2 is the newer model, available plenty of places. The Concept is the older model, some are still available new at a decent discount. But like with any helmet, try one on before you buy to get the right size.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 19 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Have a Concept I wear for fall, winter, spring or rain. An excellent helmet a uncommonly confortable. Only complaint, somewhat hoisy.
post #8 of 19 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMarshal
Does anyone have experience withthe Schubert S1? Really spendy and in reading a review: (Schuberth S1 Helmet - webBikeWorld), they did not think it was worth the money.

i have a concept, I love it it is a tad noisy but worth every penny, the part that sets this helmUt from any of the others I have seen is the fact that the faceshield can push out away from the helmet just enough to let a little air into it,
might not sound like much, but it DOES NOT FOG UP AT ALL! it is the first helmet I have ever worn with any type of face shield that absolutely does not fog in any type of weather conditions even the 3/4 helmets such as the nolan with the flip up face shield

I don't think I will ever own a helmet that does not have that feature and to my knowledge the Schuberth is the only one on the market that does this

buy one be happy (that is as long as it fits you properly)

trust me on that one!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #9 of 19 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
I've been wondering the same thing about Schubert helmets - thanks for the post that brought out many good responses. Are the Concepts and C2(?) still available or are they older models? Every time I look at the price of a new helmet I scroll back to a Bell Helmet poster I have somewhere in my lost files that says - "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet." That always answers the question about price for me.
I was wandering around WallyMart the other day in the automotive section. Bell now prepackages full face "China Made" helmets that have the DOT and SNELL stickers on them.
All for under a hundred bucks. There is something wrong there!!!!!
post #10 of 19 Old Mar 17th, 2006, 8:18 pm

S1 is excellent helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMarshal

The Schuberth S1 is great , extremely quiet, comfortable , decent ventilation, does fog up at stoplights a little unless you keep the visor slightly open. The C1 would not fog up while you chopped wood, but noisier and slightly heavier. The S1 has better or improved optics in the sun visor over the C1. JMHO.
post #11 of 19 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 5:37 am

Shoei syncrotec vs. Schuberth C2.

I have worn the Shoei since 1998, 185,000 miles worth. I never knew the difference until last Monday, when I bought a C2. The C2 is super quiet compared to the Shoei. Probably 70% quieter if I had to put a number on it. The top vent on the C2 pulls in a ton or air compared to the Shoei. That will be appreciated when the warm weather hits. When I left the shop on Monday with my new C2 it was 37 degrees. Stopping at lights I would always have instant fog up with the Shoei at that temp, zero with the C2. I "thought" that the Shoei had a nice clear shield until wearing the C2. Now I know what an optically clear shield looks like. Heck, it's like not looking through a shield at all! Perfect vision. And the sun visor.....priceless. Where before I had to stop and change shields, now I can just reach up and flip the lever. Initial comfort feels very good, perhaps a touch tight, but I attribute that to the break-in factor. They seem to run a little small in the size department. I typically take an XL, had to do the XXL in the C2. Thusfar about the only feature that I liked better on the Shoei was the chin release latch vs. the side latch on the C2. Practice will probably make the C2 easier to operate. Dick
post #12 of 19 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 7:46 am

Try the Nolan...particularly the N102 model...I've been wearing Nolan for years...tried the Shuberth and found it very heavy and clumsy....Nolan is less expensive and (for me) much more comfortable.....As for noise, all flip ups are on the noisy side.....By the way, N102 has the flip down sun visor as well.......

Life is what happens while you're making other plans
post #13 of 19 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 9:09 am

Helmetw sunvisor

Just a thought,
I have a Jarrow and i think it has a name changed now. It has a notched visor that will come a bit lower on the face. I have had mine for 3 seasons now and really like it. One big plus that i have discovered is that i can ride in +-32 degree weather and the shield did not fog up The sunshield will fog up but a anti fog treatment takes care of that and my glasses. The noise level may be a problem but with the LT, the adjustable windshield takes care of that problem....oh and it costs a whole lot less that the schubrerth. I got mine on line but had seen it at the Chicago & Detroit bike shows. The people that sell it are in NC. I think the price was bout $100 less than the schubreth.
post #14 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:12 am

You are implying that the Nolan does fog? I have an Xlite with the fog shield and just bot back from Atlanta in 40 deg temp. Didn't fog a wink.....
post #15 of 19 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdpoet
Try the Nolan...particularly the N102 model...I've been wearing Nolan for years...tried the Shuberth and found it very heavy and clumsy....Nolan is less expensive and (for me) much more comfortable.....As for noise, all flip ups are on the noisy side.....By the way, N102 has the flip down sun visor as well.......
Regarding the Nolan sun visor... I personally don't like the fact that it deploys on the exterior of the face shield. The C2 is on the interior and for obvious reasons (bugs, scratching)... IMHO ...is the best place for it.
post #16 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 7:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel007one
You are implying that the Nolan does fog? I have an Xlite with the fog shield and just bot back from Atlanta in 40 deg temp. Didn't fog a wink.....

Yes, My Nolan did terribly particularly in cool wet conditions, and it was a very HOT helmet and heck it was not the the full coverage helmet, heck I would sweat like a roasted duck in that thing! it was the model with the flip up face shiled built in, I forget the mdel number now though,

My concept has been great, much much cooler. I hardly break a sweat in it while moving, I don't think I will ever go to another helmet that will not allow the face shield to push slightly forward again.

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #17 of 19 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Thumbs up Schuberth S1

I have had my S1 for about two years now, and love it, even though it's a full face, the venting is better then any other helmet I have owned, and it is very quiet and light, would buy another in a heart beat.

Just Bob.
post #18 of 19 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Thumbs up Jarrow helmet

I have a Nolan, an earlier model and it did fog on me. I had to leave the face sheld cracked open. I have been able to fully close the faceshield on the Jarrow and the Jarrow has another advantage, you can remove the chin piece in the warmer climates and use it as an open face helmet. All that is needed are 2 small inserts that take up the slack when the chin piece is removed. Was out in 32 degree weather a month ago taking the bike out of winter storage and the 3 yr old Jarrow still didnt fog up.. last year returning to Michigan from Arizona I got into Michigan and it was snowing. Roads were wet and snow was falling .....no fogging. What can i say...eh?
post #19 of 19 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Shuberth update

I broke down and spent a little over 6 bills for a new Shuberth - full face. I like the inside pop-down shade, but find the venting is not quite as good as the Shoei.

As far as the noise; I can't really tell much of a difference from the Shoei.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in