It's Time for a new Helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 7:01 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

It's Time for a new Helmet

I've been looking for a new helmet and have narrowed the search to the Nolan N102. Price and fit seem to be about right and wanted to know if anyone has the same one? Do you like it? Would you buy it again? Any complaints?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 6:49 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Concerned or is another one better?

Just wondering if anyone has used the Nolan Helmet? or did you for some reason check it out and decide on another one that you thought was better? Which was that? Particularly because of the summer (Florida) heat?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #3 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:58 am

Thumbs up

Dan, This is my 3rd year with my Nolan N100E, and I just absolutely love the helmet. It does everything I want a helmet to do, and more. (OK...I haven't actually crash tested it, but I'll just take their word on that part. ) My friend just ordered the N102 after trying it on at the IMS bike show. She found it cheapest (and actually IN STOCK) online at Competition Accessories.

I also highly recommend using their anti-fog inner shield. I'd stay away from their built-in tinted shield (VPS) though.

HTH

post #4 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

How does one find a helmet that fits?

My first helmet hurt after 10 minutes. The second helmet (presently in use) hurts after 45 minutes. They both pound my forehead, up near the hairline. I guess I have a long, narrow/tall head shape. I need to find one that I can wear all day; I understand some manufacturers make their helmets for the different "head forms" (North American v. European v. Asian, for example). Arai is supposedly one of those manufacturers.

In discussing this with my brother recently (retired USAF pilot) he told me that the military custom-fits helmets for their pilots. Imagine a bag over your head (leaving face exposed, of course), then a standard-issue flight helmet placed over that (this helmet has a special fitting on it), then an expanding foam-type product is pumped into the space between those two, resulting in a truly custom fit. The foam is like the stuff you spray into cracks and crevices of your house to keep air out.

Question 1: Does anyone offer this product for motorcycle helmets, and what does/would it cost?

Question 2: Since most places won't let you return a helmet after using it, is sitting in a store for an hour with the new helmet on a good way to test for comfort and fit?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:05 am

How does one find a helmet that fits? - Talking with the helmet reps at the IMS show really helped my friend find the perfect helmet.

Question 1: Does anyone offer this product for motorcycle helmets, and what does/would it cost? - Not that I'm aware of.

Question 2: Since most places won't let you return a helmet after using it, is sitting in a store for an hour with the new helmet on a good way to test for comfort and fit? - The longer you can wear it, the better. A 30-minute test ride is a good thing also. If they won't let you wear it long enough to make a good decision, don't buy from them.

FWIW, your head sounds like your a perfect match for the Nolan N102. Judging by what you've said, my N100E would not be long enough for your head. Nor will HJC's flip-up.
post #6 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
How does one find a helmet that fits? - Talking with the helmet reps at the IMS show really helped my friend find the perfect helmet.

Question 1: Does anyone offer this product for motorcycle helmets, and what does/would it cost? - Not that I'm aware of.

Question 2: Since most places won't let you return a helmet after using it, is sitting in a store for an hour with the new helmet on a good way to test for comfort and fit? - The longer you can wear it, the better. A 30-minute test ride is a good thing also. If they won't let you wear it long enough to make a good decision, don't buy from them.

FWIW, your head sounds like your a perfect match for the Nolan N102. Judging by what you've said, my N100E would not be long enough for your head. Nor will HJC's flip-up.
Thanks Joe. My local BMW store has the Nolan N102 on order in my "fat head" size. Iron Pony (local m/c superstore) probably has them in stock, as well.

Is the N102 the same thing as the N102E I've seen referenced?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:18 am

I do not believe that the 'E' belongs at the end of Nolan N102 . . . I could be mistaken.
post #8 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I do not believe that the 'E' belongs at the end of Nolan N102 . . . I could be mistaken.
OK. That must have been the day I was on crack.

BTW: should have mentioned that delivery time for the N102s to my local BMW shop is 6 more weeks (they were ordered a month ago)! After this weekend's ride to PGH and back I'll be going to the local m/c superstore for a full-face helmet. No more open-face/unshielded rides for this newbie. Even riding behind your CB #2 -2" all the way up (and looking through it, not over it) my eyes took a beating with side winds, highway rain spray, etc. Not fun.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:14 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

why not the VPS?

Quote:
Dan, This is my 3rd year with my Nolan N100E, and I just absolutely love the helmet. It does everything I want a helmet to do, and more. (OK...I haven't actually crash tested it, but I'll just take their word on that part. ) My friend just ordered the N102 after trying it on at the IMS bike show. She found it cheapest (and actually IN STOCK) online at Competition Accessories.

I also highly recommend using their anti-fog inner shield. I'd stay away from their built-in tinted shield (VPS) though.

HTH
Joe, I was sort of leaning to the VPS for what I thought was an obvious feature. What are it's downsides? It would be nice to not have to ride with sunglasses.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:30 am

Many complain that the VPS scratches the shield. I buy a new shield and inner anti-fog shield every year anyway. Nothing like a brand new shield. Like wearing new underwear!
post #11 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:49 am

Nolan X1002

[QUOTE=hschisler]How does one find a helmet that fits?

"My first helmet hurt after 10 minutes. The second helmet (presently in use) hurts after 45 minutes. They both pound my forehead, up near the hairline. I guess I have a long, narrow/tall head shape. "

I test rode an 02 LT in Modesto CA when I was there over Christmas. They let me wear a Nolan N102 and I really liked it. When I got home, I started shopping for one in the DFW area and no one had one in stock so I looked on line. In the process, I discovered the X1002 (which is supposed to be a carbon fibre lightre version of the N102) so, I ordered one. It came the day before I was to leave for California to pick up the bike I had bought. Although it was the same size as the N102 I had tried on, it didn't fit the same. The cheek pads squeezed my fgace until I felt like a zit that was about to pop. I called the U.S. importer of Nolan and was told the basic difference between the XL and the XXL was the thickness of the cheek pads. I ordered a set of the XXL cheek pads and had them drop shipped to my In-Laws in California. When I got there and installed them in the helmet, I could tell absolutely no difference so, I tried to flatten them by putting them under a heavy weigh ove night - that didn't work. By that time, I was under the gun to make my departure schedule for the ride back to Texas - plus, I had already installed the headset in the helmet and was not going to be able to return it so, I wore it and went on my way. Not too long into the trip, my face was hurting - mildly - and the top of the helmet was rubbing my pointy head. By the end of the first 10 hour day the pain was much worse in both areas. That night in the motel, I removed the inner liner and put a wash cloth - folded twice in the top and, I cut the cheek pads open and removed most of the padding. After the customization, the helmet fits fine and I really like. I also like the VPS shaded visor. I ride to work in the morning facing the sun and visor works very well. The moral to this story -- Don't buy a helmet you can't try on.

Les
post #12 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:52 am

After having had a System IV for the past 6 years I am going to upgrade to the System V with Bluetooth facilities, hopefully in conjunction with the Navigator III GPS.

RIDE gave this helmet 2nd place in a recent db test.

Yes, I know it's not available in the U.S..
Blame the authorities.
post #13 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 4:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

I understand some manufacturers make their helmets for the different "head forms" (North American v. European v. Asian, for example). Arai is supposedly one of those manufacturers.
Howard,

It sounds like you are a great candidate for Arai. Yes, they do make several different shapes of helmets, but it is not for different continents. You can buy any of their shapes from an Arai dealer. As far as I know, Arai does not offer a flip face helmet. If that is important to you, then Arai won't solve your problems.

If you do have access to an IMS show in the coming months, I would recommend going and checking out the Arai booth. There is a guy there that can pretty much guess your head circumference within 1/4" and recommend a style for you. I believe that Arai offers at least 4 different styles/shapes.

I have ridden Arai helmets for many years and have always been happy with them. You pay a pretty penny for them, but you get what you pay for. That being said, I really have the urge to buy a new Schuberth J1. I will really be going out on a limb with that one, since I have to get it shipped from Europe.

Eric
post #14 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Angry "Snell" my arEYE!

Arai doesn't make a flip-up though. They say it's because you can't give a modular the Snell rating. Yet they make 3/4 helmets with a Snell rating. The whole thing is CRAP! Don't get me wrong...Arai makes an AMAZING helmet. But Mr. Arai's decision for not making a modular helmet is ridiculous!
post #15 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Quote:
Arai doesn't make a flip-up though. They say it's because you can't give a modular the Snell rating. Yet they make 3/4 helmets with a Snell rating. The whole thing is CRAP! Don't get me wrong...Arai makes an AMAZING helmet. But Mr. Arai's decision for not making a modular helmet is ridiculous!
Not sure how true it is, but I have seen several comments attributed to the Snell Foundation alluding to the fact that a flip front helmet COULD be Snell approved, but that no company has ponied up to apply for the testing.

Just checked the Snell site, and this is there:
>>>
Why won't Snell certify some types of helmets like flip up front designs? Snell does not dismiss out of hand any helmet design that strays from the conventional. Snell does not point out any design specifications other than general requirements in our standards. We are however, always concerned with innovations and new designs that may effect the helmet's ability to protect the wearer, or in some cases the helmets potential to cause injury. At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification. We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard. We will also certify any size of helmet as long as it meets the same requirements as any other Snell certified helmet.
>>>>

Guess: Either the companies making flip front helmets are afraid their designs will not pass the Snell certification, and a failure would hurt sales, or they just don't want to fork over the money to get the testing done.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #16 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Try the HJC flip up,,, Its a great helmet.. I like others have a big head, I bought their biggest and it was snug but felt ok... I walked around the dealers, set on my bike and drank a soda for an hour before I bought it.. The the other day riding home for some reason it felt way small and pressed on the front of my head bad,,, Well the ol hammer on the Styrofoam trick fixed it perfect!! .............Regards Pete
post #17 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 6:13 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Maybe your head is just getting bigger?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 6:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirwin
Howard,

It sounds like you are a great candidate for Arai. Yes, they do make several different shapes of helmets, but it is not for different continents. You can buy any of their shapes from an Arai dealer. As far as I know, Arai does not offer a flip face helmet. If that is important to you, then Arai won't solve your problems.

If you do have access to an IMS show in the coming months, I would recommend going and checking out the Arai booth. There is a guy there that can pretty much guess your head circumference within 1/4" and recommend a style for you. I believe that Arai offers at least 4 different styles/shapes.

I have ridden Arai helmets for many years and have always been happy with them. You pay a pretty penny for them, but you get what you pay for. That being said, I really have the urge to buy a new Schuberth J1. I will really be going out on a limb with that one, since I have to get it shipped from Europe.

Eric
Thanks, Eric. I didn't mean to imply that different Arai helmets were available for sale only on specific continents; I was trying to say what you did better than I could.

I went to the IMS in Cleveland but didn't spend sufficient time to check into Arai helmets and several other things; lesson learned!

You are correct: Arai does not make a modular (flip-face) helmet, but they do make an open-face helmet with a full visor.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #19 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
The the other day riding home for some reason it felt way small and pressed on the front of my head bad,,, Well the ol hammer on the Styrofoam trick fixed it perfect!! .............Regards Pete
No offense Pete, but I think there's plenty of room for argument that by "customizing" the HJC's size to suit your fitment needs, you may have compromised the integrity of that helmet. I'd bet that the Nolan N102 that this thread was originally about would fit your head like a glove(?) . . . er . . . a good hat anyway.
post #20 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:48 pm

Nolan helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I've been looking for a new helmet and have narrowed the search to the Nolan N102. Price and fit seem to be about right and wanted to know if anyone has the same one? Do you like it? Would you buy it again? Any complaints?
I just purchased a Nolan N102 at the Seattle bike show ($235.00 US + tax). So far so good. I have never had a flip up helmet before and my friends that have them ride with them UP at slower speeds and for cooling in hot weather. I love the sun shield, it is something I have been looking for for years. I also bought an extra shield and sun visor for $35. If it fits you, you'll love it.

Cheers, Bill
post #21 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:17 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks

Thanks for all of the helpful information. I'm now ready to pull the trigger with confidence.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #22 of 34 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 1:06 am

Smile

Quote:

My first helmet hurt after 10 minutes. The second helmet (presently in use) hurts after 45 minutes. They both pound my forehead, up near the hairline. I guess I have a long, narrow/tall head shape. I need to find one that I can wear all day; I understand some manufacturers make their helmets for the different "head forms" (North American v. European v. Asian, for example). Arai is supposedly one of those manufacturers.

In discussing this with my brother recently (retired USAF pilot) he told me that the military custom-fits helmets for their pilots. Imagine a bag over your head (leaving face exposed, of course), then a standard-issue flight helmet placed over that (this helmet has a special fitting on it), then an expanding foam-type product is pumped into the space between those two, resulting in a truly custom fit. The foam is like the stuff you spray into cracks and crevices of your house to keep air out.

Question 1: Does anyone offer this product for motorcycle helmets, and what does/would it cost?

Question 2: Since most places won't let you return a helmet after using it, is sitting in a store for an hour with the new helmet on a good way to test for comfort and fit?
Howard, contrary to our expert Joe, I found the Nolan to be very pressing upon my forehead, but the HJC Sy-Max has worked fine now for a couple of years! I was able to actually try them both out on an LT while I was down in Dallas Fort Worth area for some training. The local dealer let me borrow an LT and wear both the Nolan N-100 and the HJC Sy-Max for a short ride just so I could compare the wind noise as well as the fit of the helmet! I ended up going with the Sy-Max since it was just as quiet (IMHO) and much more comfortable on this old noggin!

TMMV.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #23 of 34 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 6:43 am

N102

Dano: Have one with only about 8 hours of "head in it" time. It is comfortable and seems to help minimize buffeting. I give it a thumbs up!

v/r Big AL
post #24 of 34 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
...I found the Nolan to be very pressing upon my forehead, but the HJC Sy-Max has worked fine now for a couple of years! I was able to actually try them both out on an LT while I was down in Dallas Fort Worth area for some training. The local dealer let me borrow an LT and wear both the Nolan N-100 and the HJC Sy-Max for a short ride just so I could compare the wind noise as well as the fit of the helmet! I ended up going with the Sy-Max since it was just as quiet (IMHO) and much more comfortable on this old noggin!
Thanks, John. How about my other question: is sitting in a store for an hour with the potential new-purchase helmet on, the same as wearing it on a bike? No turbulence, of course, but I haven't found a shop that will let me take the helmet on the bike for a ride and a REAL test of the helmet.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #25 of 34 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Smile

Well Howard, I guess the short answer to your question is NO. But, at least trying it on beats the hell out of ordering it over the web and finding out that you don't fit in it at all! Also, most helmets are going to be a little tight at first. They will form to your head better with time, as long as they are not so tight that you're getting a headache from wearing them!

Hope you find one that works for you.

Semper Paratus!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #26 of 34 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Yes, I know it's not available in the U.S..
Blame the authorities.
It has nothing to do with the US authorities. The manufacturer will not submit it for testing. Something about the litigious Americans.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #27 of 34 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 7:27 pm

I have the Xlite (1002??) and love it although I have yet to install the anti-fog (directions are not altogether clear to me). Previously had Arai and Simpson full faces for Interceptor and Ninja but having a flip up that fits like this one (longer head shape i assume) has been great thus far and don't know how I ever got along without having the flip up feature.
post #28 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 4:22 am

Steve,
You are right, but I didn't really mean the Government, I meant the test that helmets have to pass in the US, to be road legal.
From what I have heard and read, this test is not as strict as the European one, but has some parts that, BMW for instance, consider to be, how can I put this, not pertanant to the riders safety.
Simon
post #29 of 34 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 1:26 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Any test that will pass and certify those stupid beanie helmets is pretty much useless. I've bought and ridden with Euro-only helmets in the past, and never had any problems with comfort, safety, or being hassled for a non-DOT-approved helmet. As long as you buy from a quality manufacturer, you're good to go.

I like the flip helmets for comfort & convenience, but just feel really exposed in a 3/4 or less helmet. Just a personal preference, and I don't need any official agency telling me what's right or wrong here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #30 of 34 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:18 am

Joe,

Went to the Nolan booth in Atlanta. I couldn't discern the 1/2 english 1/2 italian instructions that came with my XLite so I just took my helmet in and asked them to install a fog shield on it. Works great HOWEVER:

They looked at the clear faceshield closely and offered to replace it for free. Although there was a very faint line across the shield (which, honestly I did not notice) they pointed out that they were aware that there was a flaw in the sun shield and that they were replacing the clear ones for zero until they fix the sun shield. That visor will soon be fixed (perhaps extruding another one that doesn't come so close to the clear in full upright position) but thought that you may want to know that you may not have to pay for a new clear one each year so long as this flaw exists.
post #31 of 34 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:25 am

I too feel pressure on the tip of my forehead on my XLite. Nolan had a booth in Atlanta this weekend and suggested that I first apply mild pressure to the foam in that area (since the foam is memory-less). Do it in moderation was the suggestion since you can't "take it back" if you push too firm. Second step if first doesn't work is to take a billiard ball to the area (if you have or can find one) and apply pressure that way. Third step if first 2 fail is to remove the padding via the snaps and begin to cut small "cheese slices" out of the padding.

Don't know if this helps but they told me that they have to do this with the racers who wear their helmets to get the perfect fit.
post #32 of 34 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:33 am

You are spot-on with regards to Snell and flip ups. Sat with a Snell guy for over an hour at the Sheraton Atlanta bar this weekend. He said that he saw very little wrong with Nolan/Shuberth flip-ups PERSONALLY but then pointed out that there was a reason why Bruce Arai has not developed one: it probabaly will not get Snell's approval.

Nolan and Shuberth have acted as though they were going to submit their flips for testing to Snell but, much to the surprise of Snell, they have not.

Because Snell impacts each helmet at 35 different points during testing he suspected that perhaps any of the flip-ups may not survive all 35 angles. "Not that they are not good, comfortable, and possibly safe helmets" but the suggestion was that if impacted close to or directly on the hinge-release area that the helmet "may" open which would fail the test. If a flip up was tested by Snell it would have to be tested in closed position and tested as a full face so if the helmet opened for any reason it would fail the "full" helmet test.

Apparently Nolan/Shuberth are not ready to take this step yet for whatever reason...

I love my Nolan by the way.
post #33 of 34 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Update

Quote:

My first helmet hurt after 10 minutes. The second helmet (presently in use) hurts after 45 minutes. They both pound my forehead, up near the hairline. I guess I have a long, narrow/tall head shape. I need to find one that I can wear all day; I understand some manufacturers make their helmets for the different "head forms" (North American v. European v. Asian, for example). Arai is supposedly one of those manufacturers...
I brought home (OK, rode home) with a new Nolan N102 this afternoon. Yep, after an hour, the top front of my head started to ache. This is in a different place than the other 2 helmets hurt my head. At least it lasted longer than the 1st helmet (cheapie, no-name) and the second (Shoei RJ-Air).

I asked the parts manager at the BMW shop where I bought it about "adjusting" the foam beneath the padding. He said he couldn't advise me to do that (it could damage the integrity of the helmet, etc. -- comments posted previously by others). That being said, this is my first full-face/modular helmet and I really like it, especially the sun shade, so I will do some careful manipulation of the semi-rigid foam in order to produce a helmet I can wear for more than an hour.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #34 of 34 Old Apr 12th, 2006, 8:38 am

I agree with Ken that you generally get what you pay for but not all heads are built the same as far as fit and comfort is concerned. Not all of us are blessed with standard shaped heads. Not only am I an engineer and a rocket scientist but I am also an egg head . I have tried on every helmet manufactures model I can get my hands on in the last forty years and none were comfortable without modification. This usually involves inflicting blunt force trauma on the helmet foam on the front and rear of the helmet. If I get a XXXL or whatever sized helmet that fits me from front to back I can usually fit my fingers inside at least one side of the helmet to above my ear. The helmets literally flop on my head from side to side.

Across the overall product line Shoei helmets tend to be more oval than most other manufactures. They have required the least fit adjustment of any I have purchased so far. I currently wear the Syncrotec flip face model. If you long noggin' types want a standard full face helmet you can also check out the Arai Quamtum-2. This one Arai model is also more oval shaped. I tried one on and it fit as well or better than a Shoei. I prefer a flip face helmet so I have stuck with Shoei.

I have also wondered if anyone makes a custom fit helmet because that is probably the only way I will ever have a comfortable helmet without compromising the helmets performance. I haven't found any thing except for different thickness cheek pads and in some cases helmet liners. None of which solves my fit problem.

For those that wonder how I inflict the blunt force, I was given the almost perfect tool. A friend works at a glass shop and they make spherical glass paper weights about the size of my fist. They gave me one that has an American Flag pattern inside it. So whenever I need to make adjustments I set the helmet on the carpeted floor, whistle the Star Spangled Banner and beat the crap out of the foam in the areas where I need a little more room. Crude but effective. This would be difficult to do on a regular full face helmet. On my Syncrotec I had to remove the flip up assembly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in