Arai vs. Schuberth - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Arai vs. Schuberth

I have owned several Arai helmets over the years and have been happy with them. I have found an Arai model that fits me pretty well. I currently own a Signet/GT, but have tried on an Astral and think it fits better.

I am wondering if there is someone out there that has made a move from Arai to Schuberth? I am most interested in finding someone that was happy with their Arai and is now happy with their Schuberth. What model Arai did you have and which Schuberth are you wearing now. Or maybe there is someone that has made the change in the opposite direction?

I am thinking about a Schuberth for my next helmet. My current model is about 5 years old. I would really like to have a helmet that I can remove the lining and wash, which almost all high quality helmets have these days.

I have been happy with the German vehicles I have owned. Now I am thinking of trying a German helmet!

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirwin
I am wondering if there is someone out there that has made a move from Arai to Schuberth?
Up until my current Schuberth, I almost always had Arais -- love them; high quality and nothing fit my head better (they say there are "Arai heads" and "Shoei heads" -- mine is an Arai ).

The Arai is still the best helmet I've worn for comfort, quietness, quality and durability.

So why the Concept?? One thing: The built-in sunshield.

The Concept (first model) is noiser (much noisier), and the fit is just "ok" (for me -- more than most helmets, the Concept's perceived "fit" is *very* wearer-specific, so you *need* to test fit). The noise and fit were "good enough," however, that I am willing to put up with these for the sunshield benefit. The the fact that it's a flip-face helmet helped sway my decision, too, but that wasn't a required item.

If Arai made a helmet with a built-in sunshield, preferably with a flip-front, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. As it is, I'm about due for a new helmet, and it will probably be a Concept II.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 7:56 pm

I currently own both an Arai Quantum/f and the first model Schuberth.

The Arai is more comfortable in general and has better ventilation.
The Schuberth has the great flip down sun-shield and flips up.

Since I smoke, I enjoy being able to flip up the helmet at a short stop and smoke, without having to take the whole helmet off. I like the sun-shield. I like the curtain around the neck when the temps get cold and when it rains.

I Hate the curtain around the neck when using a camel-bak for hydration.
The Schubert is to loud for my other bikes, but OK with the screen up on the LT.

I use each for a different purpose during the year.

On my FZ1/R1200GS its always the Arai.
On the K1200LT in the heat its always the Arai for longer trips where hydration is important. Shorter trips, commuting, heading home when the sun goes down (I live west of where I work), its the Schuberth.
In the Spring/Fall/Winter or heavy rain its usually the Schuberth unless I feel that I'll be gone overnight or through varying temperatures.

Hope that helps.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 5:31 am Thread Starter

James,

Since you own an Arai Quantum and a Schuberth Concept, can you tell me about the "fit" of each? The Quantum is generally for a rounder shape head. I have the Signet which is for long oval shapes. It seems from first inspection that the Astral might be better for me. It is for wide oval shapes.

So how is the comfort of each for you? In the long run the comfort is the most important thing to me. I do like the sunsheild feature of Schuberth. I have my eye on the J1, but I might do the S1 instead. I am not a fan of the flip front design, but I don't smoke either.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 7:56 am

The fit is about the same, i.e. I feel the Schuberth fits my round head.
The comfort from 1-10. Arai Quantum/f 9, Schuberth 8.

The Schuberth leaves more room in front of my chin, and the push forward shield aids fog prevention better than the Arai.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 7:42 pm

Two weeks ago I moved from an Arai Corsair to a Schubert C2. I was largely attracted by the built-in sun shield, and I was not disappointed in this. I was a bit concerned that it was heavier than the Corsair and that it might not vent as well. I have been pleasantly surprised by the Schuberth C2. The opening for the shield is bigger for a better field of view. It does not push on my cheeks uncomfortably as the Arai did. It ventilates at least as well, maybe better that the Arai. My longest trip has been 160 mi. and I did not notice the weight. I've found only one irritant with the C2. The chin bar does not have a sufficiently strong detent to hold in in the up position. The chin bar almost always flops down when putting the helmet on. It is also quieter than my Corsair.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

I've owned 3 of the original C1 Schuberth Concepts and two different Arai models with the long oval shape (Renegade and Signet/GTR). The C1 was acceptable in terms of comfort but could not match the Arai fit on my head especially around the ears. The Arai continues to be the only 24 hr helmet I have ever found. For 6 hours or less at a time, the C1 is acceptable and the features are a real plus.

My hope is that the C2 (should I ever be able to afford one) will match the Arai in comfort for 24 hour rides.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in