Riding in the rain - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Riding in the rain

I guess it's time for me to step up and spend a bigger piece of money. I tried to go for a ride today but the weatherman got it so wrong. A huge storm just materialized and didn't let up for about 5 hours. It was the kind of rain that Forest Gump best described as "big fat rain". My body stayed reasonably dry with my Aerostich. Gotta seal a few spots though. My issue is my helmet.

I have several helmets at my disposal. Throughout the years I've managed to collect quite a few (3) HJC's, 1 Vega, 1 Scorpion EXO700 (Neon). I actually sent the Scorpion back to the manufacturer because the seal of the gasket and visor was very poor. It literally poured water in from above when I rode in the rain. Today, I took it out in the rain to test it out. Not only did it leak just like before but the so called Everclear, no fog shield fogged up like a bad day in London. So, this helmet is now officially shelved only to be used for teaching (MSF) classes or when all my other helmets have exploded.

I tried my other primary helmet, an HJC IS-16, but it has the same problem. Believe it or not, this was the first ride in the rain for the HJC. This is the one I have my Sena SMH10 installed in. Now I'm going to have to remove it cause this one's headed for the shelf too. I have done all the shield adjusting that can be done.

My point to this rant is simple; how hard could it be to make a reasonably priced helmet that has a solid seal with the gasket and visor? I can solve the fogging problem with treatments/concoctions, foam shaving cream, and or a pinlock system.

I guess I'll have to spend the money and get either an Arai or a Shoei. From what I've read, they are about the only helmets on the market that have consistent quality control and a good seal. I've narrowed my search to a Shoei RF1100 or an Arai Vector 2.

I guess the moral of the story is; don't go cheap on helmets...

Speaking of, is anyone interested in putting together a group buy on either of the helmets I just mentioned?

Any thought or comments?

10 R1200RT ostra grey (current)
09 Suzuki Vstrom650A (sold)
02 K1200LTC (sold)
92 R100R (sold, wish I still had it)
75 Yamaha DT250
70"s Kawasaki 100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Re: Riding in the rain

I think that maybe you were just unlucky...

I rode last year for about 7 hours in the rain from Southern WV to Atlanta and stayed pretty dry except for my hands. I was wearing my Scorpion 9000 full face flip helmet. I'm not a real fan of the helmet, having just purchased the new Schuberth, but it kept my head dry.

I was on my K1200LT, but when it is raining, I lower the windshield and have just my face shield between me and the rain. Water splashes off...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Try the Shoei Qwest. I just replaced my RF900 with it and it is much better in the rain (and I was in very heavy rain Friday morning). The only sucky thing is the shields from the older RF series won't fit the Qwest. It's much less expensive than the RF1100. Shoei fit me much better than Arai's. YMMV

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Try the Shoei Qwest. I just replaced my RF900 with it and it is much better in the rain (and I was in very heavy rain Friday morning). The only sucky thing is the shields from the older RF series won't fit the Qwest. It's much less expensive than the RF1100. Shoei fit me much better than Arai's. YMMV
I have looked at the Quest. A couple things I don't like is the whole liner isn't removable, just the cheek pads and it doesn't come in Yellow or Hi Viz. My favorite website, www.webbikeworld.com has great reviews on pretty much anything in the world of motorcycling. They have a great review of all the helmets I've talked about, including the Quest. One of the complaints about it was the top vent was weak.

After trying on the Shoei and Arai helmets I like the feel of the lining in the Arai better. It's just more padded and plush. The top of the interior of the Shoei seems a bit hard.

The other difference is color. I'm a big fan of Hi Viz which the Arai has compared to Axis Yellow for the Shoei. The RF1100 goes for about 395.00 and the Vector 2, 455.00

10 R1200RT ostra grey (current)
09 Suzuki Vstrom650A (sold)
02 K1200LTC (sold)
92 R100R (sold, wish I still had it)
75 Yamaha DT250
70"s Kawasaki 100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in