Any tips for ATGATT on a HOT day? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Any tips for ATGATT on a HOT day?

...other than staying home...

I know everyone has cold weather gear and there is much of it to be had but what do people do to keep cool and still keep all their gear on? I have a mesh jacket and gloves for those "nice" days but when its over 90F i have no interest in donning a jacket and helmet let alone my engineer boots and breathable riding pants. So what do you guys here do to stay cool? oh and this http://www.gizmag.com/entrosys-motor...itioner/14205/ just seems impractical.

93 katana 600 wrecked
82 v45 magna sold (never should have)
80 xj650 maxim sold but not forgotten
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
any @ss can ride fast, it takes a pro to ride slow... one day i could be that pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Re: Any tips for ATGATT on a HOT day?

I LOVE my BMW Airflow suit, gloves, and boots. They breathe extremely well, and I also use a cooling vest if the temp gets close to or over 100 degrees. The BMW gear is expensive, but if you can find it at a discount it's a screaming deal, it's very high quality stuff. Other brands make breathable gear too, I don't know anything about it, and also, I live in a dry climate, as opposed to yours, so you'll have to deal with it differently than I.

BMRBOB
post #3 of 42 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Hydration. Lots of it. Then ride faster

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 8:58 pm

I live in Phoenix and it gets hot here I use an evap vest and it is great when the humidity is low (most of the time here). I havent tried it in HIGH humidity.
http://coolbandanas.com/vests/coolingvestindex.htm
post #5 of 42 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:11 pm

I have a full set of motoport kevlar gear and bmw airflow boots.

I can spend 7-8 hours in 100+ temps at speed and not have problem. When I am stopped it can be pretty bad

BUT I do LIKE the heat.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 2:09 am

I hate the heat just a little more than I hate having solicitors show u at the front door at dinner time.

Do a Google search for "phase change vest". They use a chemical compound that changes from a solid state to a liquid state (change phase) at a constant temperature. You can buy them with a phase change temp from the upper 50's to the mid to upper 60's. You recharge them (transform them to a solid phase) by placing in the refrigerator for about 1 1/2 hours, in the freezer for 45 minutes or in ice water for 15 minutes. They will then revert back to a liquid phase chilling you out at 60* over a few hours at which time you put 'em back in ice water. Two sets of the little pack things will keep you in a constant state of coolness. About $200 with two sets of the packs.

There is also a system that circulates ice water through small tubes sewn into a garment that reportedly works well. This solution is spendy.

The third option is the evaporative vests. Soak them in water and the evaporating moisture draws your body heat away. Not effective in humid climates.

I wish someone would report on the effectiveness of the phase change option.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Last edited by wa1200lt; Jul 20th, 2011 at 2:16 am.
post #7 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 6:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt

Loren
When my wife went through her "phase change" it wasn't cool..

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #8 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 6:24 am

Hydrate as much as possible and don't wait to get thirsty. Sip as often as you can and watch your pee.... If it is getting dark, you are in trouble....

I know... I share too much!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 6:29 am

Febreeze is your friend. No matter what you do you are going to sweat in your jacket and pants.

Here in Virginia today the expected heat index is 105 with very high humidity. Going home this afternoon will be very drippy but some times you have to learn to live with it. I have found though that the jacket shades my skin to an extent and my body is not as hot as if my bare skin was in the sun. I think it is the same principle the Arabs use in wearing robes in the desert. I just convinced myself that I would rather have sweat than road rash. Been there, done that, don't want to go there again. Drink twice as much water as you think you need.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #10 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 7:09 am

In last year's heat wave, before I bought my BMW, I pushed myself up onto the passenger pillion of my VT1100T to get in the wind more (and above the static windshield). Don't try this at home if you have a drivers backrest though.
post #11 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 8:23 am

All of the suggestions about mesh pants and jackets are good; but it's also important what you wear under them. Wicking shorts and shirts are important. I use everything from underarmour shirts and pants to LD Comfort shirts and pants. We will sweat so the important thing is to use that sweat wisely and get the most from evaporative cooling. Heat index forcast to be about 110 here today.
post #12 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 9:21 am

Grasshopper, when one achieves Total Consciousness, one will remain cool and comfortable, even in the desert. But riding a motorcycle in the heat will require coolmax drawers.

Last edited by wardenross; Jul 20th, 2011 at 9:36 am.
post #13 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 9:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I hate the heat just a little more than I hate having solicitors show u at the front door at dinner time.

Do a Google search for "phase change vest". They use a chemical compound that changes from a solid state to a liquid state (change phase) at a constant temperature. You can buy them with a phase change temp from the upper 50's to the mid to upper 60's. You recharge them (transform them to a solid phase) by placing in the refrigerator for about 1 1/2 hours, in the freezer for 45 minutes or in ice water for 15 minutes. They will then revert back to a liquid phase chilling you out at 60* over a few hours at which time you put 'em back in ice water. Two sets of the little pack things will keep you in a constant state of coolness. About $200 with two sets of the packs.

There is also a system that circulates ice water through small tubes sewn into a garment that reportedly works well. This solution is spendy.

The third option is the evaporative vests. Soak them in water and the evaporating moisture draws your body heat away. Not effective in humid climates.

Loren

I have one, not impressed. In HOT weather (95+) the "icepacks" last maybe 20 minutes and then you have a vest with 10 pounds of liquid in it which (because it therefore blocks any ventillation) makes you warmer if you don't switch them out.

Two sets of packs would last me less than an hour in Texas heat. You can't fully recharge the packs by putting them in, say, a small cooler with ice in it (well, you might be able to, but it would take a couple hours), and the idea of stopping every hour at a restaurant or something and saying "hey, can you put these in your freezer...you know, where you keep your FOOD?" (a procedure touted by the manufacturers as a "simple option for recharging on the road") is pretty ridiculous.

I tried replacing the phase change packs with small "blue ice" packs, which wasn't a swift idea...the ones that freeze solid aren't flexible enough to allow for easy movement, and the ones that freeze into a firm gel thaw too soon, and leave you in the same position as above.

Save $150, get the evap vest, and put a garbage bag full of icewater in your saddlebag. Every hour (more, or less, depending on evap) toss the evap vest in the icewater for one minute, squeeze out the excess, and you're good to go.

I'd LOVE a veskimo, but can't justify the money right now.

Another thing I discovered--if you buy one of those artificial chamois cloths for drying your car (about ten bucks at Autozone, wal-mart, etc) and cut it in half length-wise, you can soak that in the same ice water, GENTLY squeeze enough water so it doesn't drip, and wrap that around your neck. Gives you about an hour of cooling on your carotids, which does an AMAZING job of cooling you off, and it's less than half the price of evap "scarves" plus you can give the other half to your riding partner!

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #14 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:04 am

I wear vented gloves and my BMW Commuter jackets with all the vents open, flip-up helmet, and AlpineStar boots.
I too find it better to wear vented gear than having my skin directly exposed to the sun.
Also in hot dry desert weather my face shield is down to protect me from having the very hot air hit my face (feel like sticking your head in the oven).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot
All of the suggestions about mesh pants and jackets are good; but it's also important what you wear under them. Wicking shorts and shirts are important. I use everything from underarmour shirts and pants to LD Comfort shirts and pants. We will sweat so the important thing is to use that sweat wisely and get the most from evaporative cooling. Heat index forcast to be about 110 here today.
I couldn't agree more. "Under-armour" type of clothing stops the mesh jackets etc from sticking to your skin and allows for more air flow over the skin. (Cotton shirts will just insulate.) Makes for taking the jacket off and putting on a lot easier too. Just like anything though, buy quality stuff and a proper fit to get the best results.
post #16 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:26 am

[QUOTE=petevandyke
Another thing I discovered--if you buy one of those artificial chamois cloths for drying your car (about ten bucks at Autozone, wal-mart, etc) and cut it in half length-wise, you can soak that in the same ice water, GENTLY squeeze enough water so it doesn't drip, and wrap that around your neck. Gives you about an hour of cooling on your carotids, which does an AMAZING job of cooling you off, and it's less than half the price of evap "scarves" plus you can give the other half to your riding partner![/QUOTE]

VERY clever Pete.

That's one of the best tips I've heard in a long time. I would think the extra length - allowing you to drape it over your chest/heart - would be a big help too.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

I wear a wicking base layer including wool socks, leather & mesh gear, boots, perforated gloves and full face helmet (Arai Corsair). Drink at a rate of at least 1 liter every 2 hours (I alternate water & Gatorade). Put the windshield in it's lowest position to maximize air flow and try not to sit still for long. went across TX, LA, MS, AL, GA last June in 100+ temps and 90% humidity in the Southeast without any problems. ...I also have a soaker collar (looks like a bandana filled with water absorbing pellets) that I wet down at each stop and then velcro back around my neck for the next leg.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #18 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:44 am

I designed and patented this prototype a few years ago, it provided an interior temperature of 85F when the ambient was 122F. This was in Death Valley with extremely low humidity. That's evaporative cooling on steroids and due to the ice cubes that can be tossed in the wide mouth opening of the reservoir.

The fabric has interior channels (you can see them as vertical stripes) that allow water to be wicked throughout the entire vest by perforated micro tubing. It provides a constant supply of water that it is good for about 2 hours before re-filling. Oh yeah, you can drink from the reservoir as well through the "sippy tube".

Unlike traditional vests that require re-soaking and lose efficiency rapidly this design maintains peak performance at all times - until you run out of water. You have to prime the squeeze bulb about every 10 minutes to re-charge the vest as your ride.

Maybe it's time to re-visit it for a production model...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vest prototype 7-26-06 005.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	32157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vest prototype 7-26-06 008.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	32158   Click image for larger version

Name:	vest fabric.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	32161  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 20th, 2011 at 11:05 am.
post #19 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 12:51 pm

For long rides I find mesh to be counter productive as one tends to dehydrate quicker and is useless when the ambient temperature exceeds body temp. What I have found and I live in Phoenix, is LD Comfort wear, either soak or pour cool water over the shirt. I then zip up my jacket and open sleeve and back vents. For my head, I have an LD Comfort Wear helmet liner that I pour cool water on. Around my neck I use a Cool Tie which has beads in it that I presoak in cool water. The nice thing about the Cool Tie is the beads are effective at holding water for longer periods. I got mine at REI for about $10.00. I have been doing this for years and it makes high summer heat more bearable for me. I finally convinced my wife to try it this past weekend with temps up to 108 she was totally amazed at how comfortable she was. An additional benefit of LD Comfort Wear is it can be worn all year, especially in winter as a base layer, so more bang for the buck.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547

Last edited by Gizmo1137; Jul 20th, 2011 at 12:54 pm. Reason: Content
post #20 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 1:35 pm

I wear an under armor shirt under the mesh jacket. I soak the shirt from a water bottle and let evaporative cooling do the rest. Lasts me 45 min to an hour before I need to "recharge" it.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #21 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 2:32 pm

Gizmo you are 100% correct about the vented jacket. You informed me of this issue before I went to Vegas but I wore my mesh jacket anyways and had to wet down my vest four times compared to my wife only having to do it twice.
post #22 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 2:55 pm

I love to ride, but when I have to be thinking of special cool vests, ice packs etc. , I get in my air conditioned SUV. Live is just way too short to be miserable unless I don't have a choice.

In Florida, like a lot of places, in the summer, it is, to just unbearable to be in traffic, with the temperature approaching 98 and the humidity at 100%. To me, it just takes the fun out of riding.

When it's cold though, as long as the roads are in good shape, I can deal with that a whole lot better.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #23 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
VERY clever Pete.

That's one of the best tips I've heard in a long time. I would think the extra length - allowing you to drape it over your chest/heart - would be a big help too.

Thanks, Ron.

Yeah, it's long enough (and wide enough) to cover your ENTIRE neck, plus part of your chest when criss-crossed.

I should have patented it! lol

post #24 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 5:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
wa1200lt , ... Do a Google search for "phase change vest".

Quote:
petevandyke , ... I have one, not impressed. In HOT weather (95+) the "icepacks" last maybe 20 minutes

I have one that I got from WWW.coolvest.com . I have mixed views , When they are cool it works good . I found they don't recharge too fast in a soft side cooler with some blue ice thingys. They tend to loose there cooling effect faster then I can recharge them . If you are only going a few hours it works out OK, but not a all day ride . Maybe ice water would get them to recharge off faster , I don't know... Or the blue thingys + water+??...?

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #25 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Nuts! Not at all what I wanted to hear! I have everything I need to home build a Veskimo type system except for a submersible 12V pump. Probably the way I need to go.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
I have one, not impressed. In HOT weather (95+) the "icepacks" last maybe 20 minutes and then you have a vest with 10 pounds of liquid in it which (because it therefore blocks any ventillation) makes you warmer if you don't switch them out.

Two sets of packs would last me less than an hour in Texas heat. You can't fully recharge the packs by putting them in, say, a small cooler with ice in it (well, you might be able to, but it would take a couple hours), and the idea of stopping every hour at a restaurant or something and saying "hey, can you put these in your freezer...you know, where you keep your FOOD?" (a procedure touted by the manufacturers as a "simple option for recharging on the road") is pretty ridiculous.

I tried replacing the phase change packs with small "blue ice" packs, which wasn't a swift idea...the ones that freeze solid aren't flexible enough to allow for easy movement, and the ones that freeze into a firm gel thaw too soon, and leave you in the same position as above.

Save $150, get the evap vest, and put a garbage bag full of icewater in your saddlebag. Every hour (more, or less, depending on evap) toss the evap vest in the icewater for one minute, squeeze out the excess, and you're good to go.

I'd LOVE a veskimo, but can't justify the money right now.

Another thing I discovered--if you buy one of those artificial chamois cloths for drying your car (about ten bucks at Autozone, wal-mart, etc) and cut it in half length-wise, you can soak that in the same ice water, GENTLY squeeze enough water so it doesn't drip, and wrap that around your neck. Gives you about an hour of cooling on your carotids, which does an AMAZING job of cooling you off, and it's less than half the price of evap "scarves" plus you can give the other half to your riding partner!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #26 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Helmet in the fridge 1/2 or so before leaving, then don my mesh jacket and gloves. I then put the bite valve of the camelback on the neck of the jacket, and keep a long sleeve shirt soaked evey 1/2 hour or so by pinching the bite valve. . Even warm water turns very cool when it evaporates.
It is actually cooler WITH a jacket, and behind a windshield, than it is with no jacket ,out in the wind. I ride ,rain or shine, almost every day of the year here.
post #27 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
For long rides I find mesh to be counter productive as one tends to dehydrate quicker and is useless when the ambient temperature exceeds body temp. What I have found and I live in Phoenix, is LD Comfort wear, either soak or pour cool water over the shirt. I then zip up my jacket and open sleeve and back vents. For my head, I have an LD Comfort Wear helmet liner that I pour cool water on. Around my neck I use a Cool Tie which has beads in it that I presoak in cool water. The nice thing about the Cool Tie is the beads are effective at holding water for longer periods. I got mine at REI for about $10.00. I have been doing this for years and it makes high summer heat more bearable for me. I finally convinced my wife to try it this past weekend with temps up to 108 she was totally amazed at how comfortable she was. An additional benefit of LD Comfort Wear is it can be worn all year, especially in winter as a base layer, so more bang for the buck.
Mesh is not useless at temps above body temperature. Unless the RH is 100%, evaporative cooling keeps working even when the air temp exceeds body temp. If a wet shirt works, then mesh gear works also as the principle of operation is the same. The wet suit greatly enhances the rate of evaporation, but it still occurs with a mesh suit provided you are well hydrated.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #28 of 42 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
When my wife went through her "phase change" it wasn't cool..

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #29 of 42 Old Jul 21st, 2011, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Mesh is not useless at temps above body temperature. Unless the RH is 100%, evaporative cooling keeps working even when the air temp exceeds body temp. If a wet shirt works, then mesh gear works also as the principle of operation is the same. The wet suit greatly enhances the rate of evaporation, but it still occurs with a mesh suit provided you are well hydrated.
It has been in my experience and it is just hot air passing through the mesh, not very comfortable for me.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #30 of 42 Old Jul 21st, 2011, 5:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
It has been in my experience and it is just hot air passing through the mesh, not very comfortable for me.
You should certainly do what works for you. I rode home from work this afternoon in temps that ranged from 101 to 104. My riding gloves have mesh between the fingers and leather in the palms and underside and top of the fingers. It felt much better to hold my hand out in the 100+ breeze that it did to leave them on the bars. I took turns cooling my hands all the way home. It felt like I had the grip heaters on when I had them on the bars. Yes, I did check multiple times to be sure that both grip and seat heaters were off!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #31 of 42 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 8:03 am

When we left Creel in the morning it was 35 degrees, when we got to the bottom of Copper Canyon (42 miles of 10' wide dirt road) 100 degrees we were down to our Ballistic Jersey Evos Armor jackets with under armour long sleeve shirts. It is really better to only ride about 40 to 60 mph any faster and the air blast is too hot. I am seated on the left. Kieth

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Travel/Copp...171_sLBSL-A-LB
post #32 of 42 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
You should certainly do what works for you. I rode home from work this afternoon in temps that ranged from 101 to 104. My riding gloves have mesh between the fingers and leather in the palms and underside and top of the fingers. It felt much better to hold my hand out in the 100+ breeze that it did to leave them on the bars. I took turns cooling my hands all the way home. It felt like I had the grip heaters on when I had them on the bars. Yes, I did check multiple times to be sure that both grip and seat heaters were off!!

Wait!

You're saying that you can turn the grip and seat heaters OFF???

No wonder I get really warm in the Summer.

post #33 of 42 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 10:32 am

Dusting the "nether regions" - and I mean the ENTIRE region with Zeasorb AF is huge. You need to rub it in.

Not only does it help to absorb moisture it provides lubrication to reduce chafing as well. It isn't cheap but a small bottle lasts a riding season. Usually only found at drug stores.

I know everyone is going to say that Monkey Butt Powder is just as good - but it isn't even close. ...after all, it's just rebranded and cleverly marketed generic baby powder. Baby powder clumps and loses it's efficacy rapidly.

The AF stands for anti-fungal - and who among us wants the fungus among us?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeasorb.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	32173  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #34 of 42 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:19 pm

Mansoor at Road Gear says there is a new jacket he's pretty hyped about. He's bringing some to CCR. I'm going to look at them, myself.

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #35 of 42 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 10:29 pm
Sit

I think I tend to go against the main stream when it comes to heat. Short trips in the heat, mesh pants and jacket over my regular street wear or what not, depends on what I am doing when I get to my location.

Long trips in the heat, jean shorts under my regular non vented overpants. For a jacket, I have a mesh jacket that has solid panels that zip over the mesh, not just zippers that allow a small area to open up, but large panels of fabric that zip away. I wear this jacket over usually a cotton shirt. The trick I use is to keep the vent closed or you just end up having very warm air flowing over your body sucking the moisture out of you. When it gets really hot, then I put on a heat vest and do the same thing, vents open on a bit, just enough to get air onto the vest so it cools. As the water is taken out of the vest, open the vents more until it no longer works, then stop and refill the vest. I can get about 4-5 hours out of my vest this way.

For me, hot hot day, with mesh on long trips is dangerous. Too easy to dehydrate very fast.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #36 of 42 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:19 pm

On our odd hot days I just soak a t-shirt under the tap, squeeze out the excess and wear it under my jacket. (If necessary with the jacket zip open a little). It's not nice when you first put it on, but that only lasts a few seconds.
I also do this at work if it's hot, keeps me cool while everyone else is sweating.
You can keep a spare shirt in the trunk.

post #37 of 42 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Get a Veskimo
http://www.Veskimo.com
This is my fourth summer with the Veskimo.
After evaporative and phase change vests,
the Veskimo removed heat as a decision point for a ride.
Temperature and time of day became irrelevant.
Eliminated the heat stress on my Iron Butt rides.
Just did another Saddlesore 1000 at the BMW MOA Rally.
Heat index was 108.
I was consistently at 68.
post #38 of 42 Old May 29th, 2013, 5:21 pm

The evaporative vest is probably the least expensive and returns the greatest reward.
In AZ, its hot and then its damn hot!
My brother and I usually ride most weekends and here is our solution for wetting the vest. I bought a collapsible canvas bucket and at any convenience market you can purchase a gallon of ice cold water. Fill the bucket with the water and take turns soaking your vest. Put it on when its dripping wet and it will keep you cool for about three hours. Wear over a shirt but under a jacket.
post #39 of 42 Old May 29th, 2013, 7:34 pm

+2 on LD wear, 100% of the time. Watch their video and follow. It works from 120 in Yuma to cold with heated gear. Just keep the gear wet and body hydrated in summer.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #40 of 42 Old May 29th, 2013, 9:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I wear LD Comfort shirt and shorts under Motoport kevlar mesh pants and an Olympia jacket that has chest and back mesh panels and sleeve vents. I open the jacket in temps up to about 95. Above that I wet the LD shirt at stops and close the jacket except the arm vents which may be half to full open. This allows enough air in to cause evaporative cooling in combination with the damp LD shirt. I wear a white modular helmet with a dark shield and perforated gloves. I wore this from Denver across Kansas on a 110 degree day and across Utah, Nevada and California on a day that the temp reached 111. I can't say I was cool but I was not suffering like my riding companions. I covered over 700 miles on each of those days. For hydration I use a Camelbak bladder filled with ice inside a small tank bag. This allows me to drink a little every few minutes while riding which is more effective than drinking larger quantities when stopped.

Skyrider
2016 R1200RT (Brunhilda)
2010 R1200RT (Brigitte) Gone

If it is not in writing, it didn't happen.
post #41 of 42 Old Mar 26th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsucharda View Post
...other than staying home...

I know everyone has cold weather gear and there is much of it to be had but what do people do to keep cool and still keep all their gear on? I have a mesh jacket and gloves for those "nice" days but when its over 90F i have no interest in donning a jacket and helmet let alone my engineer boots and breathable riding pants. So what do you guys here do to stay cool? oh and this http://www.gizmag.com/entrosys-motor...itioner/14205/ just seems impractical.
I wear a sunshirt beneath my Tour Master Air intake 2 jacket. A pair of vented fingerless gloves, my Draggin jeans (I think a pair of Olympia Air Glide 3 pants fully vented would be great) and my Arai full face helmet and the windscreen on my 2010 R1200RT in the full down position. I've ridden long days in 95 - 100+ degrees like that. I believe the key is staying properly hydrated. Personally I wouldn't wrap anything around my neck/carotid area, that's a disaster waiting to happen. The cooling ability of the cloth, beads, whatever, quickly heat up to ambient temperature and then instead of transferring heat from one of the major heat transferring ports on your body, your retaining heat; but that's just me.
I do make a point to stay well hydrated and take frequent hydration breaks and always carry at least a liter of water and a 750ml hydration drink as well.
post #42 of 42 Old Mar 26th, 2014, 10:46 pm

In 100+ territory the only thing I've found that works is crushed ice in the helmet. Stops potential scalp heat rash (which is hell on earth) and the melting ice drips down your neck. Good for about 30 minutes, but it can be just the oasis you need to get through a brutal heat wave.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in