Rain suit advice? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Rain suit advice?

I'm looking for a good quality two piece rain suit, like the Tour Master Defender, which sells for $68, EXCEPT that it's been universally out of stock. I can't believe it takes so long for the company to get inventory (months). So I'm looking for an alternate. I'm considering the Froggtogg Horny Toadz. Can you recommend something that's worked well for you? It's got to be available in a bright color.

Thanks.

07 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 1:42 pm

Re: Rain suit advice?

I do not like the frogtoggs, the tourmaster is great I have 2 try shopping online for the tourmaster.....i always get yellow since I do not want to put on black and camoflage myself during a rainstormmmmmm
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 1:45 pm

I am not sure exactly which model of FrogTogg I have, but I can tell you one thing.....I HATE it. Especially the jacket, as the collar is very thick to the point it is tough putting on the helmet. The seams in the seat of the pants leak at the hint of rain. Got the suit before a trip last year.

My $.02

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 2:32 pm

Love me Frogg Toggs - got three pair. One black for ole Thundra; one tan for the Goat; and another tan for ole Toad. For me, they do double duty. Never had a pair leak on me, so that's one duty. Second duty I found by assident - left South Tejas on a balmy fall day and headed to Nawth Arkansas for an RTE. Fourth day there, temps dropped into the low 30s, high 20s. I had to get back to the ranch, so over my lightweight riding gear, I donned a pair of Toggs. Didn't keep my hands warm, butt sure did save my bacon cuz they're like wearing a portable sauna - grreaat windbreakers.

BTW - quick tip. Carry a smallish plastic trash bag. Slip it over your boot just before putting a leg thru the Frogg Toggs - no hang up and saves on uttering them curse words for another day!!!
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 3:28 pm
Gold Supporter

We have the Tourmaster Sentenial Jacket and pants, keep us dry and the jacket folds into the pouch sown in the back.
Looks like its in stock
try here

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 3:42 pm

I have had a 2-piece rain suit from Wally World for about 7-8 years and it has kept me quite dry. I think I paid about $30.00.

The last time I wore it on my K1200 LT, I rode from Southern WV through Asheville NC to Atlanta in rain all but 30 minutes and with a full face helmet, all that was wet were my hands.

I have no complaints except that it is not bright yellew...... I would buy it again.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 5:28 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Frogg Toggs here & love them too.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 6:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Frogg Toggs here & love them too.
+1!!

An a Euro Tour the leader had all BMW gear and he got soaked. I was not a fashion figure but I was dry!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #9 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 7:38 pm

this isn't in the price range you mentioned but I've had the same suit for at least 10 years and it still works great. I got them big enough to go over my riding clothes and I think they've more than paid for themselves. But at $169 for the jacket and $99 for the pants they are a little more expensive. Being gore tex though they scrunch up into a small package and they have kept me dry and not overheated in some fierce southern rainstorms. http://www.motoport.com/_catalog/Rain_Gear
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 1:02 pm

During the summer if I'm anticipating rain I have a MotoBoss two piece that I got at Cycle Gear... It works just fine over the mesh gear.. All my other Jackets/pants are waterproof..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 12 Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 4:11 pm

In a perfect world........

I do like the idea of being able to buy the pants and jacket separately. The rain-suit that I bought, from Wally World, came as a set..

If I had my choice, I'd make sure that the legs of the pants are several inches longer than I normally wear because on a bike the pants always seem to ride up a little higher. Even with boots, it would be nice to be able to get longer legs.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:27 am

I only use a rain suit if its an ALL DAY DROWNER! Generally, my Olympia 'Ballistic' suit does a good job keeping me dry and warm!

That said, I do carry a First Gear 'Rainman' suit. Its excellent!

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/Rain/CSSRainman.html

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in