Bluetooth helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 11th, 2011, 12:22 pm Thread Starter

Bluetooth helmet

Hi,

Can you guys fill me in on Bluetooth helmets?? I would like to get something to use with an RT and would prefer a flip up with the electronics already built in...as opposed to tearing apart a new helmet to get the electronics installed I know a few vendors have these... can you guys weigh in with your experiences/satisfaction, etc..

Thanks!

Joel

Joel Talka
Glen Gardner, NJ

2007 K1200LT - Blue
1978 Corvette Pace Car Replica - ZZ383/M22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 11th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Re: Bluetooth helmet

I know of two that have 'integrated' factory sponsored Bluetooth. Tons of bolt on units and some of them have quite good reviews. I also favor the integrated into units. The current helmet models, that I know of, are Nolan N-103 and Schubreth C3. The Nolan has been a round for a few years and the Schuberth is relatively new (last year).

I am looking only integrated and I have test fit a C3 and I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger but I need to wear it in the store for longer than a few minutes so I have a pretty good idea it will work for me. I have bought a least one helmet that I had to trash by buying it too quickly. I have a Nolan N-102 that also supports integrated currently and I haven't bought the electronics because it doesn't work with my older AutoCom. The C3 would eliminate my current outdated AutoCom and be portable to my next ride.

The reviews on the Schuberth system are quite good and and can connect to multiple Bluetooth sources (3), one of which can be 900 meters away. The Nolan only offers a single channel and depending on the electronic unit purchased it can be monaural or stereo. Lot's of mixed reviews with the Nolan unit.

The Nolan helmet and electronics offers a significant price advantage over the Schuberth. I am going to do something within the next few weeks so I will watch this thread pretty close.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 7 Old May 11th, 2011, 3:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Joel,

Most of the liners in newer helmets are removable and washable, so you just tuck whatever bluetooth communication headset you prefer behind the liner.

I have a HJC Sy-max II and Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Stereo Headset with the A302 helmet adapter. It really installed very easily.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 7 Old May 11th, 2011, 6:11 pm

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Joel,

Most of the liners in newer helmets are removable and washable, so you just tuck whatever bluetooth communication headset you prefer behind the liner.

I have a HJC Sy-max II and Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Stereo Headset with the A302 helmet adapter. It really installed very easily.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old May 11th, 2011, 10:46 pm

I use a Nolan 103 NCOM setup. One of my first helmets was a Nolan back in the 80's and I have just stayed with them as I like the styles. To be honest I never shopped around.
My setup- 103 helmet + Basickit2 + bluetoothkit2 cost me around $600 give or take.

Things I love:
1. anti-fog shield works great. This is the first helmet I ever had that my breath didn't fog up the shield.
2. Pairs very well with my blackberry storm, and I can make calls by voice command, and listen to mp3s in stereo (which sounds great imho).
3. Got one for the wife too. So they pair very well and we have great intercom. I've heard, that other systems take a few/several seconds to activate with the vox. I haven't experienced this with NCOM.

What I don't like-
1. Helmet seems noisy with wind noise (not bad with windshield raised). Extra padding included with helmet for ear holes helps.
2. The chin area seems very cramped and I experience the boom mic smashed against my chin. More of a nuisance than anything.

I have no other experience with any other helmets, so I'm not knocking them or pushing Nolan above them. All in all I am happy with my set-up.

2003 Silver K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old May 12th, 2011, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Guys,

Thank you all very much!! Sounds like I need to do some more research....and perhaps broaden my view.

As a related question, has anyone had experience with the Velmar helmet???

Joel

Joel Talka
Glen Gardner, NJ

2007 K1200LT - Blue
1978 Corvette Pace Car Replica - ZZ383/M22
post #7 of 7 Old May 13th, 2011, 5:28 pm

I've only seen two helmets with BT already built in, and they were total junk. Installing a Sena unit in the C3 is trivially easy. The Schuberth-branded system isn't much easier, and it costs 3x the price, has small hard-to-feel buttons, and won't run while connected to power. I put a Sena on my C3.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in